Raw Feeders??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
So the 60% RMB and 40% veggies is not an issue if you feed full animals like a full chicken? Adding organs a few times a week is also very good?

If you are following the prey model diet, and the appropriate ratios are met, then veggies should not be required. The ratios are generally described as 5-10% bone, 5-10% organ, and 80-90% meat (includes some skin, fat, connective tissue, etc but should mostly be made up of muscle meat). The actual ratios can vary slightly from one animal to another, so these are just starting points. My dogs, for example, do a little bit better with a slightly higher bone ratio, otherwise their stools become soft and they get gassy. The exact meats you feed may vary from one animal to another as well. I avoid feeding my dogs lamb because it makes them gassy (haven't tried mutton), but so far other meats have been fine. I achieve the meat and organ ratios by actually weighing and feeding over the course of the week. With the dogs, I can feed organ daily if desired: about 2-2.5 ounces a day. With the cats, it's easier just to feed it a couple times a week: daily would be 0.48 ounces, so instead I might feed them 1.5-2 ounces a couple times a week. The bone ratios I don't weigh out as much, instead I concentrate on feeding the "whole" animal (using poultry as an example: leg one day, thigh another, breast another, then a leg, then a wing, etc, until the "whole" animal is fed) over time, so the bone balances out in the end. The dogs are easy when it comes to bone, they'll eat just about anything they can crush/gnaw and swallow. The cats I have to be a little more careful about: They won't touch wings, and will only eat the bones found in the breast and maybe thighs of a chicken, though they will consume a quail in its entirety, and will consume all except the thicker bones (such as those in the legs) of a cornish game hen.

Do you guys go to a butcher or a place that sells for dogs raw feeding?

I saw online that there is someone that will deliver to the Sudbury area but all they have right now is 20-25 lb box of whole chicken frames- $25
-20-25lbs box of ground chicken with bone- $30
That wouldn't be an ideal diet for all the time would it? do they need more? or different meats?

The majority of my pets' food is purchased from http://www.socalbarf.com which pretty much purchases direct from suppliers (essentially cutting out the middle man). The majority of the food is human grade, so I could even purchase it for myself. Includes normal "grocery store" options as well as organic or pastured options. Some food is qualified as "animal grade" only. In the case of this particular organization, that means bacteria can be a concern - for example green tripe (E. coli is a concern) - thus it is not recommended for human consumption. This doesn't mean it is necessarily bad for our animals though.

I personally like to provide variety in meats. Different cuts can have different nutrients: for example the dark meat of chicken may be higher in iron than the white meat. Different animals can also have different nutrients: for example some fish being higher in omega fatty acids than poultry or red meats.

Some people do feed ground meats as the primary food source for their dogs or cats. Those people I know who prefer ground usually have smaller dogs who may not be able to handle bones, older animals who may have dental issues or missing teeth, or dogs who tend to gulp their food and don't chew bones so are at risk of choking. I personally prefer to stick to whole foods, but did provide ground to my older cat when she was having trouble with mouth ulcers (result of kidney failure). Chicken frames alone wouldn't be appropriate though, since it is primarily bone (the product that's left after most of the usable meat has been removed). They can be fed as part of the diet though (especially if you were using boneless meats).

So adding digestive enzymes, probiotics, apple cider vinegar, vitamin C and eggshells, those would be like bonuses?

"Bonuses", extras, supplements... that's how I look at them. It depends in part on the health of the animal and the completeness of the diet. The completeness of the diet may depend in part on what's available to the individual in question. If you don't have access to good quality bone-in meats or your dog/cat can't/won't eat bone, you might need to add a calcium supplement. I like to give my animals probiotics periodically just to make sure their digestive health stays in tip-top shape, especially during times of stress (such as vet visits or sudden weather changes). Vitamin C really isn't necessary because carnivores are able to synthesize it.

I found this at Pet Valu. What do you guys think? Would this be suitable and is this what you guys are talking about?
http://www.naturesvariety.com/
I bought the bison one for now, to try it out. The protein seems a little low? But it says it's 95% meat and 5% veggie.
The protein worries me because Gypsy, my border collie is extremely active. Am I worried for nothing?

edited to add: I really can't find anything else for raw food specifically for dogs or cats in my town. :(

I had no idea that Nature's Variety did raw diets until now, so I have no input on that lol. Is there no where that you can get Tollden or Bold Raw from? I've never used Tollden myself but I know many people swear by it. I have used Bold and I quite like their stuff... I looked briefly at their websites and I don't see any mention of Sudbury retailers but you could email them. They may not list it simply because there isn't much demand in your area or you may be able to arrange shipping or something. It can't hurt to ask, at least...

Bamboo on the Bold Raw page, I see they do have shipping throughout Ontario and Canada available.
So now, my questions would be what would be a suitable meal for my dogs. What exactly makes up a meal for them?

The ingredients list doesn't look bad. I'd have to look up charts of nutritional requirements for dogs (or cats) to see if it is suitable as far as nutritional content is concerned. I do have concerns about their diets for cats... those too contain vegetable, which cats really are not made to digest. Where dogs can be opportunistically omnivorous, cats are strict, obligate carnivores - they simply are not made to process plant matter. When a cat does ingest plant matter, it is usually to clean out their systems (aka - fiber, think of people taking Metamucil). A cat might ingest plant matter because it tastes good too (many mammals have a natural sweet tooth, and will eat things that taste good, but that doesn't always mean it is good to eat - antifreeze apparently has a sweet taste which is why dogs are so inclined to eat it, and yet it will kill them!). Plant material has to be heavily processed for a cat to even be able to obtain any amount of real nutrition from it.

That being said... I personally am skeptical about pre-made, commercial raw diets. My concerns are similar to that of kibble - how do you know what is really going into it? The quality of those ingredients? What preservatives are in it? What ingredients are you not seeing on the label? (Lately I've been doing a lot of research on reading food labels, not for pet food, but for people food, and it is amazing the kinds of things that are allowed! For example... "organic" doesn't always mean organic", "natural flavors" and "artificial flavors" may both be made in the lab and "natural flavors" are not necessarily healthier or better than "artificial flavors", "100% juice" may not actually be 100% juice, "fresh" food may actually be a year old, etc etc etc, if the food companies can get away with those kinds of labeling practices when it comes to people food, what are they getting away with when it comes to PET food? Maybe I'm just paranoid... but it concerns me!) At least when piecing together the diet yourself, you can see everything that is going into it, select the quality, you have control over the ingredients. BUT - if pre-made, commercial raw is the only feasible option, it may still be better than a highly processed kibble or canned diet. The good thing about those Nature's Variety foods is they DO list the ingredients. I didn't see any "by-products", and the only "meal" was bone meal (basically means bone dust from processing and is a source of calcium, as long as it is good quality and clean, in and of itself it isn't bad, it's when you don't know what the "meal" is that you need to worry!).

And this is my problem. I really don't trust myself to make up their food and be the one to insure they get their full nutritional needs met.
In the pre-made frozen raw, can they have ingredients added to the food without listing it? If not, it looks pretty good from just the ingredients on the package.

jorats said:
And this is my problem. I really don't trust myself to make up their food and be the one to insure they get their full nutritional needs met.
In the pre-made frozen raw, can they have ingredients added to the food without listing it? If not, it looks pretty good from just the ingredients on the package.

In human food they can exclude some ingredients from the label, (I can't remember the exact specifications for that, it may have to be under a certain percentage to be excluded from the label, BUT can that percentage be harmful? If a person can have an allergic reaction to food that was processed on the same equipment that also processes the nuts they are allergic to, I think even miniscule percentages can be important.) so I suspect in pet food (which is not as heavily regulated) some ingredients can also be excluded from the label. But that's going to be true regardless whether it is pre-made commercial raw, kibble, or canned.

Normally I agree with being skeptical about commercial raw but I actually got to meet with one of the owners. She is very knowledgeable and knows what she's doing. Obviously, she does have a product to sell but I did some digging after I met with her and her stuff checked out. They are also very willing to talk to customers which is nice.
jorats said:
Bamboo on the Bold Raw page, I see they do have shipping throughout Ontario and Canada available.
So now, my questions would be what would be a suitable meal for my dogs. What exactly makes up a meal for them?
I thought they shipped...I was on my way to bed and didn't want to tell you something when I wasn't sure lol. As for what to feed, in the "Prepared" section of the Our Products list. These are ground, complete diets. They only show a few of the "flavours" but the idea is that it's ground necks (bone-in), liver, green tripe (usually beef, regardless of the 'flavour' you've chosen) and kelp. For some reason they only show the chicken and turkey, but you can get it in beef, rabbit, lamb and others (such as Elk) as well. The "Whole" section has all the different components to be combined to make a complete diet (necks, organs, tripe, frames, etc.)

Bamboo said:
As for what to feed, in the "Prepared" section of the Our Products list. These are ground, complete diets. They only show a few of the "flavours" but the idea is that it's ground necks (bone-in), liver, green tripe (usually beef, regardless of the 'flavour' you've chosen) and kelp. For some reason they only show the chicken and turkey, but you can get it in beef, rabbit, lamb and others (such as Elk) as well. The "Whole" section has all the different components to be combined to make a complete diet (necks, organs, tripe, frames, etc.)
Awesome!

I think as a pre-made diet, it looks pretty good. If you were to move to making your own when you got more confident, you could still use it from time to time to offer variation in proteins.

As for your concerns with protein content remember that a) raw diets have an extremely high moisture content - the actual, usable protein ends up being higher (if I remember correctly) and b) Gypsy is active, but it's not as though you use her for daily herding work or have her pulling a dog sled. It'll be fine for her.

Thanks Moon!

What I've been doing for a week is giving their kibble in the morning and the pre-made raw for their afternoon meal. Jasper loves the pre-made raw, Gypsy is ok with it but not all that enthusiastic. She loves her kibble. But I get the feeling that Gypsy is a creature of habit and simply needs to get used to things before she becomes hooked on it.

What I meant by active for Gypsy is the difference between her and Jasper.

And I still can't find any where that sells real raw food for dogs in my city. What the hell is wrong with this place.
Also, that other place never emailed me back. I'll try again.

With activity, it's a matter of feeding more or less. Dogs will get some of their energy from the protein in their food, some from the fats. You don't want to feed too much fat, of course, and not all dogs can handle a lot of fat in their diet, but that is one source of energy. A dog who requires more energy would simply require more food than a dog that requires less energy.

My two dogs for example:
Alley and Tundra are about the same height, but I suspect Tundra weighs less (haven't weighed her in a while). Alley is about 50 pounds, and a little more active than Tundra. Just by size alone she gets a little more food than Tundra, but by activity too she gets more. The normal recommendation for dogs is 2-3% of their body weight per day. That comes out to about 1-1.5 pounds for Alley. (Tundra gets about or just under 1 pound a day.) Because of her activity level, I actually feed her closer to 1.5 pounds a day, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, depending on what she's eating, how she's feeling, the weather, etc. She tends to eat less in the summer because she's less active due to the heat and doesn't need extra weight that will heat her up. In winter she gets a little more because it's cooler and she has very little body fat and no undercoat to help keep her war.

Oh... So I think that maybe Jasper is more active than Gypsy, maybe. He pretty much jogs our walks as he keeps up with my and Gypsy's fast pace. Both my dogs are very lean. Jasper is all muscle.
Right now I'm following the pre-made raw diet according to the label for active dogs. I give a wee bit less because they get a ton of treats during training every day.

The nice thing about raw is that you quickly get results... If you notice they are getting skinny, up the food. If you notice that they are getting chunky, lower the amount.

There's so many factors that can play into the amount of food they require. Age, size, metabolism, activity, weather etc. I have to feed Cha more during the cooler months for example. And the wee puppy currently eats more than Charlie as she's growing/catching up. I also a foster who was same age like Cha, same energy levels but half his size... yet they both ate the same amount.

At the beginning you just have to take the plunge and wait and see for 2-3 weeks, then you get results and you can make adjustments accordingly.

A new issue which might not at all be related to the pre-made raw I'm feeding. But since starting the pre-made raw, I did see immediately much better poop and soft coats. But... Jasper is definitely more aggressive. He never was before but now he's showing signs of aggression like resource guarding. Not the food, but other things like toys and nylabones. He also is much more aggressive in his play with Gypsy, although Gypsy doesn't seem to mind. But I certainly do. I don't know if it's pure coincidence that this started now. I adopted Jasper from our shelter on July 30th. He was there only 2 days. He will be 18 months at the end of Nov. Also I find that he seems more "depressed" when not play fighting with Gypsy. almost like he's being punished but we have never ever raised our voice or a hand to him. I practice positive reinforcement training only. Am I just seeing his true behaviour coming through 3 months after adopting him?

jorats said:
A new issue which might not at all be related to the pre-made raw I'm feeding. But since starting the pre-made raw, I did see immediately much better poop and soft coats. But... Jasper is definitely more aggressive. He never was before but now he's showing signs of aggression like resource guarding. Not the food, but other things like toys and nylabones. He also is much more aggressive in his play with Gypsy, although Gypsy doesn't seem to mind. But I certainly do. I don't know if it's pure coincidence that this started now. I adopted Jasper from our shelter on July 30th. He was there only 2 days. He will be 18 months at the end of Nov. Also I find that he seems more "depressed" when not play fighting with Gypsy. almost like he's being punished but we have never ever raised our voice or a hand to him. I practice positive reinforcement training only. Am I just seeing his true behaviour coming through 3 months after adopting him?

I'm inclined to think the timing is coincidence, unless there is something in the new diet that is making him not feel well. (Certain health concerns/discomforts/etc can cause aggressive or temperamental behaviors. For example - I am allergic to certain kinds of food dyes, and one of the symptoms of that allergy is extreme crankiness.)

Part of it very well could be his true personality coming out. At 18 months he is starting to reach maturity. Gypsy will probably change as she gets older too (I recall that Gypsy is also a young dog, unless I'm remembering wrong?). It depends a lot on the dog, some don't mature until 3 or 4 years of age, and it is only then you see their "true" temeprament and personality. Others may mature sooner. But that being said, tell him how he IS allowed to play. If he starts getting rougher than you like seeing, break it up and make him take a break to calm down. Sometimes dogs just don't know how to control themselves when they get excited. Encourage him to play more in ways you want him to play - such as fetch. Maybe even give him something constructive to do - start practicing tricks or agility with him. It is possible the new diet is actually making him feel better, and give him more energy than he had before. This could translate into more aggressive behaviors and rougher play just because he doesn't know what to do with all the energy and can't contain it by himself.

With toys - you might just need to keep certain toys away from him when you aren't there to monitor. My older dog will fight over Nylabones and other chew toys, but no other toys. As long as I am present to monitor and control her behavior, she's fine, but if I walk out of the room I can no longer monitor her - and she knows it.

Gypsy is the same age as Jasper. Only one week older.
That makes sense, more energy needing a better outlet. But we keep them both very exercised.
I wonder... at about the same time, I've started doing short clicker training sessions which I think he may find frustrating with the shaping. Waiting for him to offer me the behaviour so he's at a loss what to do. Could that be it?
I am stopping their rough play, or I make myself involved in the play instead. (interacting with them)
Should I continue with the pre-made raw? Last week it was bison, this week it's venison. I remember you saying that pre-made may not be very good either.

jorats said:
Gypsy is the same age as Jasper. Only one week older.
That makes sense, more energy needing a better outlet. But we keep them both very exercised.
I wonder... at about the same time, I've started doing short clicker training sessions which I think he may find frustrating with the shaping. Waiting for him to offer me the behaviour so he's at a loss what to do. Could that be it?
I am stopping their rough play, or I make myself involved in the play instead. (interacting with them)
Should I continue with the pre-made raw? Last week it was bison, this week it's venison. I remember you saying that pre-made may not be very good either.

It could partly be the clicker training too. I know with Tundra's training there have been times when she's seemed to get frustrated and "shut down", then go on "destruction" mode as an outlet. She would do the same when she got bored because she already knew what was being reviewed. For her I just had to keep the training sessions short and varied to keep her interested. Alley gets destructive when she is bored or full of energy - and her energy level is such that I can take her for a 4-6 hour hike and she still has energy to spare! Lately the weather has been getting cooler and I've noticed the dogs acting up more - I think they feel better in the cool weather so want to play more. Alley's started getting rough with Tundra, grabbing her collar and the scruff of her neck. I have to step in and keep things in check because Tundra doesn't like that, but when she gets after Alley to stop her a fight can result.

You can continue with the pre-made another week or two and see how things go. This may just be part of the adjustment period. Dogs can be very sensitive to change too, and something seemingly simple and uneventful to us (like a new food) can be huge to them. It may take a few weeks for animals to adjust to a new change in schedule or lifestyle, so another week or two might give you a better idea of what's going on.

Ok. Got it.
It's weird cause I feel like I know Gypsy just as she knows me but Jasper just keeps me on my toes. Somethings about him are just awesome and then there's these other issues that I need to think around.
Thanks!!! I really appreciate your help.

I don't think it has anything to do with raw. If anything it has made my guy less aggressive. He uses the recreational bones like a punching bag.

Different style training could be an issue. If dogs are similar age, that can also lead to problems. And sometimes they are just being brats! Cha has been a total ass this week. Resource guarding is a pretty normal behavior.

Back