Ratty stomach pain not eating after Baytril

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyn

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey all,

I have a bit of a difficult story. My ratty, boy almost 1 year old, has had an ear infection for a little bit and my vet subscribed some local eardrops. Having got some experience, i thought it would be good to also start oral antibiotics in the form of Baytril based on his body weight. Ive given baytril plenty times in the past, but because we cannot get these antibiotics (even not on recipe) where I am from, i have ordered it online most of the time. We started with the Baytril on a Friday 2 weeks ago and the ear medicine (locally) on the Monday after (so a little less than 2 weeks now). In the beginning all seemed well, although he seemed a little nauseous from the antibiotics. I've had this reaction from ratties before but usually started supplementing some anti nausea medicine (Emiprid). However, as the weeks have gone by he has started eating less and less and loosing weight rapidly, now only wanting to eat liquids. Every time he eats, his fur starts puffing up as if he's getting tummy aches just by eating. I've stopped the Baytril Friday evening but it hasn't gotten better. I'm worried about 2 things mainly, one being that the Baytril I've purchased is somehow contaminated or bad and I've basically been giving him poison.. or two that there is something additional going on that I don't know yet. I have a check up tomorrow for the ears and I'll continue with the topical one. If anybody knows this website where I've bought it from, please let me know if it was legit:

https://pigeons.mercasystems.com/index.php/enrofloxarom-10ml-drops.html

I am just super worried as I've lost a ratty last november with similar symptoms.. she also had the Baytril before but when we did photos it mainly looked like she had cancer in her colon or stomach.. and the baytril treatment was only after we discovered something wrong and not before.

Back