Rat Shack Fest??? *see other thread*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wan to come but i can't finda the post as to were it is and when, maybe some one can edit the orgiinal post to say quickly when and were! :D

Piedpiper hasn't been around, she had offered up her cottage in Parry Sound but I guess that's probably nixed now.
It's probably going to be more around the GTA since that's where everyone is closest too... so there's not much I can do at this end, in my little northern corner... except drive down and attend. :thumbup:

I think some of the planning depends on if people prefer overnight accommodations or just a day trip. We were looking at camp type settings but it's hard to book one without knowing how many beds need filling.

For just a day we could get a space at a park or something.

The weekend of the august 22 is out for me too. My dad's 75th birthday. The weekend before or after that is good for me.f it is around the GTA I have people I can stay with.

Ann

I offered to help Lynds with this, I was thinking a place in southern ontario more so because it's more centrally located then algonquin or haliburton is. I can also look into places nearish Peterborough area or in between TO and Peterborough if that's easier for the peeps in Eastern Ontario. What does everyone think.

i'm good for a day trip, and August is a beeter month for me.
as far as location, i'm good going as far as T.O, i'd like to stay in a couple hour limit, as travelling with Cole isn't easy :roll:

If we want to make it just a one day event we could get a sheltered group picnic area at a city park. We just have to decide what city and then book a spot. Permits are usually in the $50 - $75 range but sites are first come, first served so if there are any good spots left we would have to act soon. Toronto has dozens of parks with hundreds of group picnic areas.

I doubt we could do any kind of overnight event this year. When I planned my family reunion I had to start looking and planning a year in advance. If we want to go to a nice place (like the Lion's Camp in Dorset or one of the better Girl Scout Camps) the bookings are up to 2 years in advance. Plus, it would have to be held in spring or fall because these camps are in use by their groups in the summer.

We have to decide to just do it - pick a date, book a spot, make the announcement & send out our invites! If we build it, they will come!!

As they say in NASCAR - "Git 'Er Done!!"

P.S. The only weekend I'm not available is August 7 - 9th. I'll be in Watkins Glen, New York. For, yes you guessed it, the NASCAR race!! Anybody wanna come with me? I have a nice cabin booked at Robert H. Treman State Park!

Actually I'm thinking a picnic would be a good idea too Mumsy. I mean I would mind camping but I'm going to be 7 months pregnant and my back is not the best, camping might be a bad idea. We could do a pot luck of sorts. It's also easier for planning. Is a Saturday or Sunday better. I know a Sunday is better for me because then I don't have to take the day off. But if I have to I can use it as one of my vacation days.

I just saw this - I'd love to meet people if the 15th or 16th does end up being a go - A rat shack picnic in the park sounds like a lot of fun. Do many of the spots in TO have BBQ pits along with picnic benches? I'll contribute something toward booking a site if a final decision is made about it.

Edit: Is High Park pretty easy to access for out of towners? I'm just looking at the Toronto parks and rec. page for it now and it looks nice... I don't know that I've ever been to it though.

Edit #2: High Park doesn't allow charcoal BBQ, though I guess that means gas burners would be okay. I also saw the Rouge Park site looks neat and allows BBQs, but has lots of satellite site locations so I'm not really sure which one would work. The McCowan Milne Park looks alright, but it's hard to tell from just a map and description without having been there.

http://www.rougepark.com/explore/adventures/picnics.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back