Piper and her babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I have a question....Do I separate my three little boys on the first day on the fifth week?
Poor little guys that is only 2 weeks and 2 days away......but since there is only three of them they will get lots of attention from me... :D ...

:lol: SQ every once in a while Piper will grab one and try and put him/her in the house....The squeak like mad squirm away from her and run away....If I have my hands in there they will run over and climb on my hand....... :lol:
Piper is trying it less and less....she realizes it is impossible to keep them in there....but they all go in to sleep.

And just when we think they couldn't POSSIBLY get any cuter!

They are at such an interesting age, so lively and curious. I bet they eased the pain from your tooth, just by distracting you!

Hope you are now feeling better. :rose2:

They are adorable!! I love all the playing shots. Especially Maisy in the log.

You can separate them on the first day of the fifth week but I've heard of some keeping them together till 5.5 weeks. Watch for any mounting behaviours. It will be just play at first but can become more. If anything, watch the boys trying it with mom.

Today is a big day....the babies are 3 weeks old.....they are little running, wrestling eating machines... :lol: But when they get tired they till like to cuddle in my hand and have be hold them up to my lips and breath on them....they snuggle right down and go to sleep....so precious.
I tried to post pictures last night but my computer was acting up....
So here is today's pictures...they are having a play in the bath tub...thought it would be good to get them used to a new spot......

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

Picture037-1.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Oh, I am so lucky to on the Shack right now just as you posted these!!

They are so adorable. I am glad that they have already figured out the wheel (loved the loop-de-loop photo). How sweet they look all piled up in the SnapTogether Inn.

Melt, melt, melt!

Wow! they have so many cool toys to play with. I love the bell in the box. Is that a parrot toy?
I love their variety in color too.
bet you have cuteness overload every day :)

I am going to house sit for a friend of mine this weekend...he has a huge house and yard....my dogs love it there.......I am taking the ratties with me.. :D ..can't leave the babies home alone.......My friend wasn't impressed but I said "if you want me to house sit they have to come with me" so we are leaving tonight.
They don't have any animals except a very kind old dog........she loves us and my dogs and she won't pay any attention to the rats.
I know the babies will have fun....playing in my friends nice big bathtub.... :lol:

Pipelet!! Hahah brilliant!!

I can't believe how painfully, hugely awww inspiringly cute those pictures are!!! I love the one of them in the wheel with the little fuzzlet clinging on upside down!.. They look so tiny compared to it.

And the one of them all settling down in the snaptogether is gorgeous!! I just want to sick my hand in there and mingle with all the warm soft baby fur!! I totally love this thread!! Cuteness at it's max! :ilike:

Well I didn't end up leaving to house sit yet....my friends decided not to leave until tomorrow morning so I decided to take the evening and introduce Sydney to her nieces and nephews...It went wonderful...no problem at all. Sydney was so patient...the babies where brats. Jumping on her head, climbing over her back, biting her tail and worse trying to nurse of of her....She took it all in stride...moved when they became to annoying...and even groomed them a bit...gently....I kept her with them for 15 minutes...then I took her and Piper out...they looked like they needed a break.

Picture015.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture027-1.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture043-2.jpg

Picture060-1.jpg

As soon as I saw Dahlas' name on the On Line list, I knew it would be worth hanging around the Shack a little longer.....

Auntie Sydney!! She looks like a real natural with those sweet babies, who miraculously STILL keep getting cuter. :tumkiss:

They are sweet aren't they Godmother....... :D

Will she always be so patient? Or is it normal for adults to discipline babies?
Things might change if they try and crawl in her bed with her.......I am not going to try everybody in the same cage until I separate the boys....that will be a few less babies.....Plus I was thinking..... would it be wrong for later on to let Syd and Piper and maybe a couple of the babies to live in one cage and the rest of the babies in another and getting together for plays........I would prefer to let them live all together but not if poor Syd will be bothered...she deserves to take her naps in piece.
I will try them all together but just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask what other people would do.......

Those are some great shots. Especially of the baby hanging off the top of the wheel while Syd is trying to get her exercise in.

How old is Syd?

Ah.. ok, I see why you wouldn't want babies living with her.
I've introed babies with elderly rats before, with different reactions. Some were completely rejuvenated while others did try to find a place to get their rest. If you don't want Syd bothered by the babies, you'd have to make sure there aren't any at all. Babies will play with babies when adults don't reciprocate. But having say only two babies, they will surely go for the other rats as well since they are going from lots of baby playmates to mom and older rat. It would be a tough call.

I am going to try them all together.....and hopefully she will discipline them, gently, so that they don't bug her all the time.
I just put them back together for another little play before bed and the babies where all over her, chewing her ear, trying to nurse...it was kinda funny seeing Sydney walking on her tiptoes cause the babies where under her...
Everything is going great now.
They are all nursing now and Sydney is having a great run on the wheel....

Do rats nip young babies if they are being a pain....like an elderly dog would do to a puppy?
How do they make it known to the little ones that they want to be left alone?

Plus I assume the more the babies are around her that the novelty will wear off and they won't be so fascinated with her.......or keep trying to nurse on her......

Back