Niagara Nakie Newbies... 3/17/13 Norbert :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was worth a shot! Poor buggers. They are totally hairless arent they? They dont even have the fuzz?

hopefloats said:
I was worth a shot! Poor buggers. They are totally hairless arent they? They dont even have the fuzz?

they have a few errant wirey hairs :) Ohhh and Norbert is going back to less hairy...weird huh?

I emailed Sam/Heather this morning about the whole situation.

I know we call any naked rat a hairless LOL even though like mine are not, they are double rex. So I am guessing it is the True hairless that might be more proned to eye issues. I have had a few double rex just about naked rats and no major eye issues. I seen the posts previously about naked rats having problems here so I was checking and to tired to look back at the pictures LOL

hopefloats said:
I know we call any naked rat a hairless LOL even though like mine are not, they are double rex. So I am guessing it is the True hairless that might be more proned to eye issues. I have had a few double rex just about naked rats and no major eye issues. I seen the posts previously about naked rats having problems here so I was checking and to tired to look back at the pictures LOL

Nope double rex can have issues as well :p

We picked up the broadcloth today. Nic will get to sewing ASAP. Too bad we couldn't find any prints but we got a pretty green, fuchsia and purple.

I just tried to read it all but I might have missed a lot in 11 pages of multiple kids. Did everyone survive? Everyone is improving? Is anyone blind or half-blind? No antibiotics? What caused this so extensively? I know I'm a pain, but I won't be the only one just seeing it and desperate to know how it went in a nutshell...
Sage & the cup absolutely is the cutest picture! But :heart: Norbert, OMG!! :heart:
I wish I could beg, borrow or steal him, I'm in LOVE!
Hopes & prayers for all the babes...

Nutshell for Fidgie...

Yara - one eye affected, had the crud removed at the vets on Dec, 28th, no abs, just antibiotic drops and moisturizing drops 2-3 times a day. Went back to vet last Thurs for a recheck, discovered there was more stuff collecting...so she cannot live with Sage, and she is going to be spayed sometime after Jan. 20th so she can join Norbert.

Waldo - one eye seriously affected, one eye just starting, crud removed on Dec. 28th, drops like Yara. Recheck on Jan 5th.

Melvin - both eyes affected, 1 with crud sticking out of it, and the other looking like it had ruptured. Dec 28th, same as above, but he was booked for enucleation on Jan. 5th. Had his eye removed, and he's doing great :D

Norbert - 1 eye mildly affected (he was only taken in for initial cleanout on Jan. 5th), he is on the drops for a week, then it will be eye flushes with that moisturzing drops, or Natural Tears (like the rest of them).

No one died, they are all doing very well, they are just Special Needs now and will have to leave their hopefully long lives with me and no real chance at adoption. I am hoping I can keep the debris under the eyelids under control otherwise more little ratters may need enucleations. Its a bit of a scary responsibility to be honest...

Thankyou so much for saving the ink & paper & charting brainpower here :emb: .
Beautiful little angels shouldn't have to start out with discomfort. What the heck is causing this in a whole litter, do you know? Yeah, it's pretty worrisome if nobody know's what's going on or how long it might last - especially adoption-wise.
What precious kids! All of them I expect, but Sage & Norbert at least are extraordinarily captivating. :heart: Norbert is cuter than my first love on his best day. :heart:
Hugest hugs to You!

Sage is the black and white girl who is being taken away from Yara "little butterfly"...I am going to have to find her new friends...she's not good with adult rats so much though. I was very disappointed for both of them to hear they had to be separated. But having my 2 fav nakies in one cage together will make up for it :D

Good mommies deserve good stuff!! I sure hope this problem disappears as they age. Kisses to Melvin, hugs to you, and hots for Norbert.

jorats said:
We picked up the broadcloth today. Nic will get to sewing ASAP. Too bad we couldn't find any prints but we got a pretty green, fuchsia and purple.

I am so excited for my nakies!! They will have hammocks again! They are sort of lost without them it seems.

Hammocks are not just houses/beds to our rats, they are toys...trampolines, jungle gyms, etc :laugh4:

You can also hang those stackable organizers with shower curtain hooks. I used to put fleece scraps in there and Monty LOVED it (although it confused him because I briefly used them as litter boxes prior) but I'm sure they'd be fine without fleece until you can get them suitable.

lilspaz68 said:
jorats said:

I am so excited for my nakies!! They will have hammocks again! They are sort of lost without them it seems.

Hammocks are not just houses/beds to our rats, they are toys...trampolines, jungle gyms, etc :laugh4:

Don't forget poop collectors for the really laid back lazy ones. :roll:

Back