Niagara Nakie Newbies... 3/17/13 Norbert :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are all set up in their boring cages. LOL Sage and Yara have a sputnik, but I am going to have to look at different plastic houses to find one more suited to nakiness and their chill factor :)

Melvin looks wonderful...not even any swelling

jan5Melvinseyepostremoval.jpg

Basically the consensus is that IF I don't put these little ratters on as much of a lint-free environment as I can, they will all lose their eyes. :shock:

I have to say I was astonished at how well Melvin looked too - I would have guessed he'd had the enucleation days before, instead of that very day.

Do they think he's going to be blind in his remaining eye too, or does that have a shot?

M0onkist said:
I have to say I was astonished at how well Melvin looked too - I would have guessed he'd had the enucleation days before, instead of that very day.

Do they think he's going to be blind in his remaining eye too, or does that have a shot?

I think he has a shot with his new Environment.

I just had a thought...pop boxes! I could make them into hanging boxes instead of hammocks...close off the ends more with tape so there's more body heat captured inside :D

Btw Patricia, your shirts are now hammocks LOLOL

lilspaz68 said:
Basically the consensus is that IF I don't put these little ratters on as much of a lint-free environment as I can, they will all lose their eyes. :shock:
Yikes! That's definitely an incentive to change things. Ug!

Denim doesn't really pill, but the material is HELL to sew - I know, because I once decided I would sew it into a hammock. >.< Darn near broke my fingers! And it unravels at the edges, so you kind of have to sew it - jeans have broken many a sewing machine (actually broke mine, had to take it in to be repaired).

LoL, glad the shirts went to a good cause! It's always nice to put something to a new use when it's outlived its old one. BTW, the pinkish material that has the two sort of surfaces to it (matte and shiny) isn't a shirt, it used to be a bedsheet or something. Definitely is thicker than the shirts, I think.

If you decide to go the jean route, my machine LOVES jeans. We once crammed as many layers as we could under the foot just to see if it would do it, and it took it like a champ.

...just saying. :laugh4:

Somehow I had missed this thread-- what great news about the surgery, but what awful news about the lint-free environment. I wonder if they also get lab block dust in their eyes and dust from everything else that they chew?

This worries me also because I now have a nakie. Her eyes were in great shape when I got her, and she had lived in a cage with shredded white paper for bedding and some well-used hammocks made of thin terycloth. Now I have her in a cage that is full of YN and fleece. Did Dr. munn say that all hairless rats should be in a lint free environmentnt?

Kisses to them, and hugs to you.

Godmother said:
Somehow I had missed this thread-- what great news about the surgery, but what awful news about the lint-free environment. I wonder if they also get lab block dust in their eyes and dust from everything else that they chew?

This worries me also because I now have a nakie. Her eyes were in great shape when I got her, and she had lived in a cage with shredded white paper for bedding and some well-used hammocks made of thin terycloth. Now I have her in a cage that is full of YN and fleece. Did Dr. munn say that all hairless rats should be in a lint free environmentnt?

Kisses to them, and hugs to you.

Nope just these poor beasties. Ready for your socks to be blown off? Linnet is on ASPEN with no issues....depends on the nakie I think. :D Just watch for the eyes to cloud or have excessive porphryin etc.

Do you think there is a possibility that their eyes are simply having more trouble right now because they are already in an irritated state? Perhaps if you can get everything cleared up for a bit, the problem might subside?

Would it depend also on if there are corneal scratches do you think, Violet? I think corneal scratches are more permanent, though I might be mixing my eye injuries a bit.

Oh, and regarding your earlier comment: ::shakes fist at jean-eating sewing machine::!!

@ Moonkist: I don't honestly know. Shelagh is much more educated on all these health issues than myself. Mine are just laymans guesses.

If a poly-cotton blend is recommended, go for broadcloth. It's usually around $3 a yard at our fabric stores - cheaper than 100% cotton because it's not as long lasting or soft; I'm not sure how poly handles urine/smell. Cotton knit is fairly lint-low, you could do broadcloth hammocks with tshirts/knit fabric as batting(inbetween layers).

Also, large Salvation Army/Goodwill/thrift stores often have a bedding section, and I have picked up super high count sheets that way for almost nothing, before.

The scrubs that Emily was wearing was 65 / 35, and she said it was :)

The pillowcases are working really well as base liners...once they chew one side up, I can just flip it. I use coroplast to put in the bottom of these cages to wrap fabric around.

Poor Greenwood Park Animal Hospital got all these calls every time I had a thought. The care will have to be permanent, not just a "for now, til they feel better"...I asked. :undecided:

They are going to a conference and shutting down for a week starting next Friday, so after that I can call to make an appt for yara's spay, probably early February.

there was no micro-eye, their eyes are perfectly normal...well except for this.

I think if we could get some miniature eyelashes and put on those little things we could save you this problem. Women wear them, I think rats can too :)

HAHAHA they would try to eat them like they do ours! :laugh4:

I stole a sputnik from one of my other rats and gave it to the nakie boys...i could put fabric in it and make it warmer and cozier I guess. They keep hopping in and out, probably thinking its a toy not a bed LOL

Melvin was very good about his metacam this morning :thumbup: ...and now onto eye drops LOL

Back