Niagara Nakie Newbies... 3/17/13 Norbert :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK here's another thing to ponder that popped in my head this morning. All the affected eyes are smaller, so do you think these poor things were genetically predisposed to microphthalmia or micro-eye? Making those eyes more defunct than usual and more apt to have these issues? I have seen micro-eye in other rescues, but only furry ones. What does everyone think?

Melvin's fine but I won't be...sigh, got some not so good news. These 4 are so prone to these eye issues, that they are going to need special care for life. They found more debris under their eyes since last week, and they examined it and found it to be mostly material. And I am going to need help with suggestions and possibly hammock makers help?

Basically they have to be in as lint free cage environment as possible.

1) no fleece, cotton, flannel, etc...I can put them on lint free cloths, or high thread count sheets *ouch*
2) no litter...so no Yesterdays News, and as most of us know, nakies are Elmination Machines which means changing their cages as often as I can.
3) flushing eyes daily
4) their laundry will have to be washed separately from anyone elses
5) worst of all...Yara is going to have to be taken from Sage :sad-p: I am going to have to her spayed (ovariectomy) and get her in with Norby.
6) there will still be occasional visits to the vet for eye flushes like with Lilith...

My poor poor babies :( I am going to have to do a lot of things JUST for them, like buy this high count cotton and send it to hammock makers to make hammocks...could they be made in lots of layers for extra warmth for chilly nakies?

Anyone have any suggestions on anything I would LOVE to hear it. Where the heck am I going to get high count cotton before I take them home tonight?? :gaah:

So you are needing at least 800 count sheets egyptian cotton. Do you have stores like Bed Bath and Beyond or some thing like that. They will have them and they are going to be very expensive.

M0onkist said:
Yeek - 400 isn't high enough?

Honestly they are going to have to live with the 400, as I would never be able to afford the 800 for the next 2 years every 2 days LOLOL...they will just get their eyes cleaned out more often...sigh.

I think a 400 sateen should work - and you can get a queen size (which is HUUUUUGE - dang, if only I'd saved the sheets after I dumped whatsisname... 400 count queens! ::sobs:: ) for basically the same price as a double, or almost the same price as a twin/single.

Sateen is basically a flatter weave - should give off less whatevers that could get into their eyes. It's the almost shiny kind of bed sheet.

On that note - any engineers in the crowd who want to try their hand at making nakie goggles? :D

I am going to need hammocks, and special liners for carrier and their vet visits...I was using old cubes and tucking them in the carriers to keep them warm, or fleece but that's now out...too much to think about.

Wow. That really sucks :\

You may want to check Zellers for bed sheets. Some have already started to liquidate their inventory before they are converted to Walmart/Target.

:gaah:
Poor babies and poor you.
I had Olive, Leila and Butternubs in to see Dr Munn this morning.
He mentioned today was "nakid day."
That Shelagh's sweetie were there to have there eyes dealt with.
Like them Olive had debris in her eye that was huge. :shock:
:bow: No infection that god.
I hope I don't have to worry about thread count hammocks for her and Nubbies. :gaah:
:cuddle:

Hmmmm. This really is a bit of a pickle. I do have a few questions though, for someone a bit more knowledgeable.

For the thread count, my assumption would be that it would be better to have a lower thread count, only because I would assume that the threads would then be thicker, and less prone to getting under the eyelid. This is just a wild hunch, but I'd love to hear others position on it.

As for what type of alternatives might be best, I'm quite stumped (probably because I work mainly with cotton/flannel/fleece). Would jeans/denim possibly work better, since, again, the fibers are thicker and might present less of an issue?

Have you tried just any old cotton sheets yet? I'm just wondering if they have been on fleece up until this point, then perhaps any count of cotton sheets might prove more beneficial than expected. ?

They mentioned tonight to look for 50 % cotton/ 50% polyester blends...that those were best. They even mentioned buying scrubs.

I bought a table cloth tonight with that blend with Moonkist who was my chauffeur tonight LOL...Thanks again Patricia!!

I checked in with a few seamstresses to see if they are familiar with fabrics that fit the bill and can easily be acquired at local fabric stores. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Back