Niagara Nakie Newbies... 3/17/13 Norbert :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Teeny tiny rats for 14 weeks. I had to change cages because they were too small for the one I had setup for the boys. The boys are sweet and most are licky, and a bit chewy :) Little girl is very nervous and needs a friend. Whether it be Chloe time will tell, so far so good.

Eyes are not all the same, some are differnt, some are worse...they all will need to see Dr Munn but will have to wait until Jan. 12th unless our Cecil passes during the surgery and then I will have enough for the Eye Kids to be seen.

I do notice most have a strange swelling around their eyes like there's something stuck under there maybe? Tomorrow I may try flushes and ointment. None of the eyes are saveable but I want the babies to be comfortable and if theres stuff stuck under the lids like Lilith had? Ouuch!

Nakie boy 1, left eye affected, 259 grams

dec22Nakieboy1A.jpg

dec22Nakieboy1C.jpg

dec22Nakieboy1D.jpg

Nakie boy 2, both eyes affected, left eye has someting sticking off of it or out of it, 237 grams

dec22Nakieboy2A.jpg

dec22Nakieboy2C.jpg

dec22Nakieboy2B.jpg

Nakie boy 3, the teeny tiny runt, right eye affected, 137 grams

dec22Nakieboy3B.jpg

dec22Nakieboy3A.jpg

Nakie girl, left eye affected, yellow and dead I think?, 147 grams

dec22Nakiegirl1.jpg

dec22Nakiegirl3.jpg

dec22Nakiegirl5.jpg

dec22Nakiegirl6.jpg

dec22Nakiegirl4.jpg

Chloe the tilty, mink velveteen girl, 259 grams

dec22Chloe4.jpg

dec22Chloe.jpg

dec22Chloe3.jpg

dec22Chloe2.jpg

New friends?
dec22NakiegirlandChloe.jpg

Breaks my heart clean in two.

Is it normal for nakies to ALL have bad eyes in a litter? I'm guessing they're from the same litter?

Oh, I just want to kiss all their wee heads...

Not looking good. :( Do you think they're corneal abrasions that got infected or something hereditary? Those poor eyes and eye injuries are soooo painful.

Oh my stars! I dont get how so many baby have bad eyes :( They are small my little hairless is small, their age and weighs more than that. I am glad you have them....at the same time, all those eye problems are huge to take on! Hugs to you Shelagh.

After a night with his bigger brothers, little one ended up with 2 scratches so I have pulled him out until I can re-intro properly. He doesn't seem to mind being alone as he had been removed from his brothers awhile ago (they are almost twice his weight). He's very sweet and calm and his eye is the least of all of them. He just might be able to see out of it a little still.

dec23nakieboy3.jpg

The little girl is frantic without a friend, Chloe decided to stamp on her, Althea and she had no liking for each other, and now its Sage's turn. Sage is an absolute NUT outside of the cage, but sweet and calm inside, like she was with little Athena. I will remove Sage when I am not home, but i have a feeling this could end up working well for both of them :D

dec23nakiegirlandsage.jpg

dec23nakiegirl.jpg

Dahlas said:
poor wee babies....do Nakies have higher incidence of eye problems? It would make sense that they would....

Oh yeah they really do, nothing to protect that eye or stop things from getting inside it :( I am tired of eye problems, but I guess ratties with eye problems aren't tired of me. :cheeky:

this is just heart-wrenching. I am SO HAPPY they are with you now Shelagh!!!

I hope something can be done to give them a rest from their eye issues. Some of them look so painful. :sad3:

Poor bubs! As swollen as their eyes are, I'm glad the lids don't look red and irritated, at least in the pictures. They're in the most capable hands we know though, lucky lil things. Kisses'n'scritches to them!
And gosh, their curly little whiskers are heart melting. :heart:

I'm speechless... poor babies! They look very good besides those eyes issues though - I was somehow expecting them to be in a much worst overall condition. Poor Shelagh, you already have your hands full of issues, and now all those eyes that need to come off... I don't know how you do it - you're my hero! :hugs:

Unepuce said:
I'm speechless... poor babies! They look very good besides those eyes issues though - I was somehow expecting them to be in a much worst overall condition. Poor Shelagh, you already have your hands full of issues, and now all those eyes that need to come off... I don't know how you do it - you're my hero! :hugs:

I have called to see if I can get little Norbert in next Wednesday while Cecil has his surgery. I am scrounging grocery money for myself LOLOL

I don't think I am looking at any removals at this point.

Back