Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went back enough to see that your boy has pneumonia one of my 7 month old rats is getting over pneumonia. We did lasix for 3 days to get the fluid off his lungs along with theophylline twice a day for two weeks and baytril/doxy which he's been on since Jan 3rd. He was doing great until a couple days ago when he had a relapse and was put back on the theophylline.

He has pneumonia, his lungs are likely full of fluid ... he needs to be on Lasix .... starting does is 1 to 2 mg twice a day ... suggest at least 4 times a day for 24 hours
- it is usually given orally but can be given by sub-Q injection.
it is a balance to get the fluid out of his lungs and keep him hydrated. You will need to watch out for dehydration (dehydration kills) and give sub-Q fluids if he is unable to take fluids orally.

.... but he needs to get that fluid out of his lungs .... if it is just pneumonia, he will only need to be on Lasix for several days .... until the antibiotics are working well.

Hopefully the baytril + doxy will work. If it doesn't try baytril + azithromycin (I find it to be a much more effective combo)

My little Storm is also having difficulty today. Hope you are able to get Lasix for Moose

Last edited:
Still fighting.....My husband was nice enough to watch him while I grabbed a few hours of sleep and not much is changed but has a sneezed a few times..is that good or bad? I will call the vet in ripley when it opens and ask them straight up if they are gonna give me what I need or if I can just not bother wasting my time..

Moose went over to his food bowl and wanted so badly to eat but just couldn't..stood still to try and catch his breath and then went to his water bottle and once again he wanted it so bad but just can't breathe well enough to do it :( my chunky monkey loves his food! even when he is sick...Wish I could just suck all the crap out of his lungs..

His nose sounds super congested and when he breathes his chest sounds almost like a swishing sound...he can't take full breaths he just takes short,quick ones....and he is still doing the accasional gaging motions....The benadryl we gave him last night did nothing at all..He hasn't slept since I gave him the benadryl day before yesterday and it only was for maybe 30 minutes...everytime he starts to nod off he get woke up because he just can't breath :( He wants to eat and drink but he just can't and it is so damn sad..

Last edited:
Would you say this is blood or porphyrin? a whole bunch of it just came pouring out of his nose and he is doing lots of gaging movements and swallowing....He is snuggled up to dad on the bed now :(

IMG_3064.jpg

Something very serious is going on with this boy...i am wondering if he has a mass in his nasal passage causing this. Most times a rat with pneumonia lies very still and does not gag or retch. :(

Would an xray show it? I'll do whatever it takes...I honestly don't care what it costs or where I gotta go....Doesn't help that I have everyone chiming in saying that they don't think me giving him fluids and meds via needle is a good idea and it is really really frustrating....

If u can afford it, get a xray of his lungs... Hopefully they will see what's going on and start him on lasix. Poor bugger needs to be able to breathe to drink, eat and take oral m meds

Damn just saw the video. If he doesn't get proper treatment soon he's not going to make it or you will be forced to consider euthanasia. He is now open-mouth breathing, NOT a good sign.

I am so sorry!

Last edited:
I am gonna take him in to our vet and I hate saying our vet and she has agreed to do an xray and give him breathing treatments...While they are treating him I will hunt around with the places you gave me but right now like you said we don't have much time....

There is nothing wrong with using syringes/needles to keep your baby live. Giving SQ fluids is a bit intimidating at first, but you tell yourself its what you have to do. Try and get them to teach you again and with butterfly needles if they will - its so much easier. If not, ask for a 10 ml syringe so you can give fluid. You can try pedilyte, coconut water, or ensure.
Also try fruits/veggiea that contain water melons, cucumbers - at this point anything.

Hang in there Moose we're all pulling for you!

I hope they are giving him Lasix to get the fluid out of his lungs so he can breath
and I hope they took an x-ray and are treating what is wrong with him
and giving him sub-Q fluids as needed

If he doesn't improve soon he will need to be pts to prevent further suffering
Here is important info on making sure it is done humanely as most vets do not know how when it comes to small animals like pet rats http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

Hoping Moose is soon doing much better
{{hugs}}

Last edited:
Back