Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that she mentioned was him sometimes wheezing when he breathes and asked if he was doing it here and honestly he was making all kinds of noises so I couldn't say yay or nay since her idea of wheezing my be different then what mine is in the situation...I appreciate everyone's support :) but sadly that won't stop me form crying all night...Here's to moose and may he become the conqueror of pneumonia!

All of the boys are all piled on top of boo bear under the ramp in their cage...The never sleep like that. They are usually in their multi level hammock with moose but guess it isn't the same without him :(

Last edited:
I got no sleep last night and just laying in bed thinking about moose....I really hope she calls with good news!

I am getting so nervous about that call.....Haven't been this nervous about a freaking phone call since before my dad died.....ugh

Tbh, I don't expect good news...true pneumonia hits hard, fast and most don't recover. I will of course absolutely pray for him and you, and having seen many "miracles" myself they CAN happen, but be prepared hun :(

I would call them, otherwise you are going to agonize too long...you aren't taking full deep breaths right now, and every minute makes it worse :(

They don't open till 9 since it is saturday so I still have 30 minutes before I can call and check on him...It did hit him so freaking fast :( One day he was moose and the next just a struggling sick shell of himself...I miss his little face always watching me...He was always watching me! He used to try and hide the fact that he was looking at me by shoving his nose in the corner of the cage like I couldn't see his big ole head past the bars..

He hasn't gotten worse and his breathing isn't any better but she said he has been grooming himself today which was something he didn't have the energy to do yesterday...Gonna go see him in about 30 minutes and hopefully seeing us will cheer him up a bit I hope....She wants to keep him with her at home for the rest of the weekend since the close at noon today and closed sundays..What do you guys think? All my feelings aside I want what is best for him no matter what..but she seems to think she can get him through this...

I hope he's doing better or at least the same.... :cuddle: I'm still recovering from my pneumonia - its rough...

I've never had it but my dad had it about every 6 months his last couple of years and it was miserable for him...Hope you feel better soon!

He hasn't gotten worse and his breathing isn't any better but she said he has been grooming himself today which was something he didn't have the energy to do yesterday...Gonna go see him in about 30 minutes and hopefully seeing us will cheer him up a bit I hope....She wants to keep him with her at home for the rest of the weekend since the close at noon today and closed sundays..What do you guys think? All my feelings aside I want what is best for him no matter what..but she seems to think she can get him through this...

I would definitely do this. My vet got Zeus through what we thought was a fatal bout of meningitis the same way. Just remember to tell him you love him, and you are doing this to save him.

I told him yesterday when I dropped him off that as long as he wants to fight then I will fight for him no matter what :) He is such a champion! I honestly didn't think he would make it this long but he has proved me wrong thus far...I can't wait to see him and give him smoochies!! Toby is still wandering where he is today so I will let him smell me when I get home and gonna try and get antibiotics for my sneezer boys and the noisy girls.

I would deifinitely let her take him home and keep you updated. Bring him a shirt or something of yours so he has your smell with him. Is it possible for him to have one of his buddies with him?

Come on Moose..... :getwell:

And perhaps you can give a quick call there and let her hold the phone near Moose so that he can hear your voice? Just send him loving thoughts. Animals know/sense this and relax. Fingers crossed for your Moose.

Moose is now at the bridge with his grandpa :( When we got there I was so hopeful but when they brought him out to us his face and hands where covered in blood and then while we were visiting he stopped breathing twice..His xray showed that his lungs where filled with fluid but he was still fighting so hard..I asked what she thought realistically his chances where of coming out of it and she said that at this point he was more likely to end up drowning in his own fluids....So I made the call to end his suffering.....I held him the whole time. My heart is so broken right now but I can only hope he is in a better place getting all the scritches he wants from grandpa :) I let the boys say goodbye to him and it was so sad seeing all 3 of them standing over his body :( Boo bear could have cared less but we haven't had him that long so I understood.

Geez, I'm so sorry. Have fun at the bridge Moose, you were a true fighter. He's free from illness now hun. Thinking of you Ratpack and wish there was something I could do to ease your pain xx

Back