Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes he sneezed it out of his nose! Like a snot rocket...With the steam, I put the humidifier on in the rat room and let it run for a few minutes to really start putting out steam and I just took him near it maybe a foot or so away and within maybe 10-15 seconds he wanted away from it..away from me :( He is still hanging on and there are definitely been a few more times I just held him as he stared up at me trying to suck air through his mouth..Has been touch and go but he is a trooper and honestly didn't think he would make it but he was damn determined to prove me wrong :) 40 more minutes and I am gonna call and say look out cause here we come...

Yes he sneezed it out of his nose! Like a snot rocket...With the steam, I put the humidifier on in the rat room and let it run for a few minutes to really start putting out steam and I just took him near it maybe a foot or so away and within maybe 10-15 seconds he wanted away from it..away from me :( He is still hanging on and there are definitely been a few more times I just held him as he stared up at me trying to suck air through his mouth..Has been touch and go but he is a trooper and honestly didn't think he would make it but he was damn determined to prove me wrong :) 40 more minutes and I am gonna call and say look out cause here we come...

Try the steamy shower in that 40 mins (for only 10 mins), might clear him up enough to get him through the journey.

Ok I will go turn the shower on while I fight with the rest of my household to get their butts up and moving..this is not a momma anyone wants to cross this morning lol....my eyes are on fire! I kinda hope the vet will keep him for a little while so I can grab a nap but being my luck gonna have to pull another 24+ hours of chaos :( Not that I mind as long as it means he gets better!

Again the steam just freaking him out after about 3 minutes or so...I made him stick it out another minute but after that I wasn't comfortable making him stay :( Here he is straight out of the bathroom...http://youtu.be/1AWlzWrbUWw he was not happy with me.

9:40 was the soonest they had.....Ugh I don't know if I can handle another hour of this.....Hopefully he can handle another hour and it takes 20 minutes to get there and account for the snow on the ground and people that drive like idiots I will probably leave 30 minutes early just to be safe...Fingers crossed we can wait out another hour.

So moose has pneumonia and he got a shot of metacam and Doxycycline 32mg/ml and he is getting 0.17cc twice a day for 10 days...Now to try and give him his meds and get him to eat and drink something....

So moose has pneumonia and he got a shot of metacam and Doxycycline 32mg/ml and he is getting 0.17cc twice a day for 10 days...Now to try and give him his meds and get him to eat and drink something....

Poor bubber :(

this is along with the baytril right? You would need to give him both.

I'll doublecheck the dose but 10 days is not going to cut it, especially for pneumonia.

Well I have to go back at 6 today anyway...Another issue I am running into is he is refusing everything...water,food,meds...I tried putting a little drop in the side of his mouth and he just spit it out...He won't swallow anything. How do I get him to take it? and yes it is with the baytril but I got to get him to take it first!

Well I have to go back at 6 today anyway...Another issue I am running into is he is refusing everything...water,food,meds...I tried putting a little drop in the side of his mouth and he just spit it out...He won't swallow anything. How do I get him to take it? and yes it is with the baytril but I got to get him to take it first!

I wonder if your vet will teach you how to give sub-q fluids?

Ok...I could do that if I had the equipment to do so.....he is still having trouble breathing but that is because he can't eat or drink anything....Poor baby, I know he is hungry and thirsty because he has walked up to his food and water and thought about it and then was just like ugh I just can't breathe and lays down :( I am waiting for the vet to call me back now, I left her a message asking about it and if she doesn't call then like I said I have to take Hope at 6 anyway so I will ask her then.

See if he will lick some sugar water from a syringe? Don't force it as he could aspirate but sometimes they will do things for "Mom" they are not willing to do on their own.

Nope he isn't interested..he just wants to lay in moms bed tucked under the covers...I almost fell asleep for a moment earlier with him curled up against my belly :) He has alot of porphyrin coming from his nose since he got his shot...is that good or bad?

His belly also seems really round and squishy....could he have air trapped in there? ugh waiting for this vet to call is annoying me because he has been suffering for about 24 hours now.....I just want him to be able to breath again!

Ok good to know :) I am still waiting for the vet to call me back...he hasn't gotten any better just same crappy breathing. He really needs his meds :( but he just can't breath well enough to take them..he can't even groom himself right now, everytime he tries his breathing gets worse for 4-5 seconds.

Back