Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I tried the inhaler but my daughter is horrible at holding rats still so he didn't get all the medicine...he shared it with us and he took most of the other dose of antibiotics. I put it on a piece of bread and he actually ate most of the part it was on.

In the video it doesn't look like he is open mouth gasping and he doesn't seem to be panicking .... that is good

Try to get the meds into him without stressing him too much
Try to keep him hydrated

If he can have more Benadryl soon I would try that when it is time, since you said it helped before

What is your inhaler? a bronchodilator like albuterol?

Here is some info http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php

http://ratguide.com/meds/respiratory_drugs/albuterol_sulfate.php

When I have used a puffer with my rats I have put the rattie under a cloth or my shirt and given 1 or 2 puffs under it and they breath it in for a couple of mins. It can make them panic. You want them to breath it in but do not need it to be air tight - if it was my vet said they would be getting too much.

Remember, we are not vets, just trying to help from experience

That's a great way to do an inhaler too. You might try one more puff the way SQ tried since he didn't get much of the first puff.

I'd say you are safe to do another dose of benadrly too, if Jo said it then I believe it, she is very trustworthy.
Don't want to cause stress though, the most important and helpful meds and the abs and the inhaler so if he's not feeling it I wouldn't force it.

What you did is fine.
Good that he is feeling well enough to eat.

He is not in respire distress, just very ill.
If he has taken his meds, personally I would wait and see how he is doing since he has had the puffer.
I would give him (or him and cagemates) a dish a soft food .... to give him nutrition and keep him hydrated
such as: block mush, organic soy formula thickened with baby cereal, ensure, baby food, mushy cooked carrots or sweet potato or peas, etc
Check his hydration (pull up on the skin on the back of his neck or back and see if it snaps back into place - if it doesn't he may be dehydrated), and make sure he doesn't get dehydrated as that can kill

If he is grooming or willing to eat, then he is feeling a bit better :)
Later, if enough time has passed and you think he needs it, you might give him more Benadryl

Last edited:
yes the inhaler is albuterol..I understand you aren't vets :) but I figure doing something is better then doing nothing. He just needs to make it till 8 am and then I can rush him to the vet...He is going to sleep now so maybe the inhaler helped him relax enough to sleep.If he is awake at the 6 hour mark then I will give him more benadryl or I will wait till he wakes up.

Sounds like a plan. You're awesome for doing everything you can for your sweet rattie.
I'll be thinking of you and sending my best wishes tonight.

We are gonna need all the help we can get...Not gonna say there weren't a couple of times I gave him a go ahead to meet grandpa at the bridge as my father died almost 2 years ago from COPD which has very similar symptoms to what moose is experiencing. As long as he is fighting, I will fight for him! I know I am one big sob story and I really don't mean to be :(

He is awake again and he made a yucky gag type move again....Wish I could just suck the gunk out of him!! he also now has porphyrin coming from his eyes.

It is Enrofloxacin 20mg/cc and .... gets 0.20cc once every 24 hrs.....rose being 266grams and has the same dose....

Rose should be getting that dose every 12 hours, not once a day.
or
Rose should be getting 2.9 mg every 12 hours (at dose of 5 mg/454.4g) (ie 266g/454.4g x 5 mg)
which means Rose should be getting 0.15 cc every 12 hours (at dose of 5 mg/454.4g or 5 mg/Ib - many people give this dose)

or
Rose should be getting 0.29 cc every 12 hours (at a dose of 10 mg/454.4g or 10 mg/Ib)

Last edited:
Gonna try for round 2 of the benadryl...Not sure what my vets obsession is with that dose and that every 24hr stuff hahaha maybe she really isn't sure so trying to play it safe? I'll ask her tomorrow and hope she isn't offended.

Not a sob story .... I have been through many repir infections and chf (but never coughing up stuff like you have described) and it is absolutely horrible, terrifying and you feel so helpless. Sounds like you are doing everything you can and he is in great hands

Try to get him on the baytril + azithromycin tomorrow as previously discussed
He may need Lasix (starting dose is 1 mg/Ib to 2 mg/Ib twice a day) if he has fluid accumulating in his lungs ... but you will need to watch for dehydration

Try to discuss his situation with lilspaz68 as I don't know much about the coughing up guk

I messaged her earlier so waiting for response. I have everything written down and ready for the vet :) This is the first time he has had a URI and the symptoms came on so fast, with all the others (Hope,Honey and Rose) theirs started kinda the same way (wet nose,sneezing) and they actually had to wait longer for treatment while his symptoms started just yesterday and he is a mess today even with the antibiotics.Is it possible that because it was to small a dose that it just irritated it and made it progress faster? Maybe his immune system was just crap to begin with...He is only 13 months old and I want atleast another year with him!

Hard to know why .... being under dosed can cause problems
but rats hide illness well and by the time you notice they are ill, they are very ill.

Also, with a myco flareup up you have a little more time to treat the infection
With secondary infections they get very sick very fast and die soon

Could also be his immune system
but he isn't very old, just middle aged.

I'm off to medicate my rats. G'nite

3 1/2 more hours and moose is still having trouble breathing but he is really fighting...He has moments that he just can't and has to do a gag like motion and then starts back with very shallow breaths....I hope the vet is ready for us at 8am cause I am not leaving until they treat him!

2 1/2 more hours....Everyone in my house is sleeping even all the other rats..just me,my thoughts and poor moosey goosey :(

Hang in there guys! He's gonna make it. Poor boy, you must be really tired and weary. I'd be a wreck. Rooting for ya, not long to go now.

Awww poor both of you...so very sorry for not checking in, Bear actually had a good night and I passed out :(

He's got a bad URI and his baytril was definitely waaay underdosed but you fixed that now...so technically your 4-5 days before you see real improvement starts then. :(

The choking is unusual...you said that gob came from his nose? Did it smell foul? Does he have guck coming from his mouth as well or no? It really looks like hes got a lot stuck nasally and I wish he'd tolerated the steam better.

How did you do the steaming and how did he react?

I usually put the rat in my lap and sit in a bathroom that is starting to steam up. I pat the rat and keep them calm, and often they move around a bit then settle down and start grooming their nose (a good sign) and relax.

Back