Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the memories that hurt...I just can't picture life without his cute little face..like right now he would be staring at me from the cage waiting for me to come get him and he isn't :( I need to see his happy face right now and it isn't going to happen...

I'm so sorry you lost you :heart: rat. I'm glad you were all able to be with him as he crossed over. Take comfort knowing you did all you could and he knows that.

Those memories won't hurt you one day. Those amazing memories will one day make you smile and bring you great joy. Right now, they are going to make you sad. But that's completely normal. It's not going to be easy because you're grieving. But you will heal and that means you'll get to have those special memories back in a happy way! You'll be able to think of him again and be very happy. I know that feels like a world away, but grieve right now. It's all you can possibly do hun. There's nothing else for it except to grieve xx

So glad you were able to see Moose, realise that he was suffering horribly, be there with Moose and end his suffering.
From the info I have, I think you need a new vet asap.

I am so very sorry

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad to know that he is no longer suffering, and from what I can gather, he had a great life with you, and lots of great friends while he was here. He was truly loved.

So glad you were able to see Moose, realise that he was suffering horribly, be there with Moose and end his suffering.
From the info I have, I think you need a new vet asap.

I am so very sorry

I definitely think if she had done everything I suggested when I suggested it then maybe he might have pulled through it.I am definitely gonna shop around..I have atleast 4 rats that needs a visit and there are 2 other places that might see them so I will check out both and see what I think.Our vet gave us a refund when moose died......not that I didn't want my money back but it just felt cheap so I just had them credit the account for hope's surgery tuesday cause those need to come off ASAP.

Our vet gave us a refund when moose died......

That is unusual and shows that although your vet may not be a good vet for rats, the vet cares.

A few years ago, a vet who was supposed to be knowlegable about treating rats was negligent and burned my baby rat to death
...... no refund or apology was given

No vet is perfect, all makes mistakes but a good rat vet is essential .... and not always easy to find.
good luck

We lost our first rat, who was also our heart rat, to PT. We spent time we should of had with him trying (begging) vets to give us the medication we needed. We went to 4 or 5 before we found the one were at now, but by then it was too late and we had him pts. It was devastating and we had his son pts at the same time (kidney failure). I never thought such a tiny fur balls could make me feel such loss. I still miss them and cry over my boys, but the pain and heart ache does get much better.

Don't ever second guess the treatment you got him. You did the best you could with what was available to you. Its not your fault the vet wouldn't listen. Moose knew/knows how much you loved/love him and he knew you were doing everything you could for him. Grieve however you like cry, scream, throw things, write a nasty letter to the vet that failed you - I did all the above. We all understand...

I am okish today...Cried myself to sleep last night though :( The boys gave me lots of snuggles when I woke up so that helped alot.Now the little boogers have been sleeping all day! I really have get off my butt and get stuff done but I just don't have the energy...Life does not stop just because your heart is broken and I still have 13 other rats that need me to get myself together.

You take it easy on yourself ok. Be very kind and nice to yourself right now. You're going through a grieving process, take time to grieve and put yourself first as much as you can! But yes, the world isn't great at letting you grieve and it doesn't stop. Do the best you can to nurture yourself and permit yourself to grieve.

I am doing my best but it isn't easy though the boys (Timmy and Toby) have been being very helpful in easing my pain :) Shy guy however is back to owning his name...I just hope he can eventually find the courage to be brave without moose around to follow cause he was dependent on moose for comfort when it was time to be social.I know we will get through it...just gonna hurt like hell first :(

I think at the least he needs a vet to sub-q fluids and meds.. And maybe an oxygen tank.
This place has Emergency hours:
http://colegatewoodsvet.com/services.html
(740) 373-5080

Takes emergenices, one of the vets has rats
http://mineralwellsvetclinic.com/veterinarians/
(304) 489-2799

Takes emergencies, sees everything except "skunks and monkeys"
http://www.myvetonline.com/Greenmeadow/general-information.html
Emergency Number: (740) 373-9480

None of these sees rats :( nor any of the others you guys sent me unless I missed one..thought I would let you know.

Back