Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is Enrofloxacin 20mg/cc and he is 630grams he gets 0.20cc once every 24 hrs..not sure if that is right being my vet has giving to same dose to every rat I have gotten antibiotics for even though they are different weights...rose being 266grams and has the same dose....He is gasping for air now so not sure how much longer he has....I tried steam and it made him freak out so I cut that and he had the benadryl which seem to work for a short time....Not sure what to do now for him.It is crushing my soul to watch him suffer but he doesn't want me to hold him, he just wants to hide under his blanket.

Do you mean 20 mg / ml for strength?
If so he should be getting .32 cc every 12 hours
Serious under dosing could be the cause to his distress

Nvm a cc is a ml sorry my brain is already asleep hehe.

Last edited:
If the steam made him freak, he may have fluid in his lungs.
Try to get the vet to give him enrofloxacin (range is 5 mg/454.4g to 10 mg/454.4g, many people dose at 5 mg/454.4g = 5 mg/Ib) + azithromycin (10mg/454.4g, by prescription from the pharmacy), orally twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it is helping

He is being under dosed. Right now he is getting 4 mg every 24 hours. (20 mg/cc x 0.2 cc = 4 mg)

At his weight he needs to be getting at least 6.9 mg of baytril (enrofloxacin ) twice a day (approx. every 12 hours).
He should be getting at least 0.35 cc twice a day (that is 5mg/454.4g or 5 mg/Ib)

or he could be given as much as 13.9 mg of baytril twice a day (that is 10 mg/454.4g or 10 mg/Ib) = 0.7 cc twice a day

Please increase his dose to at least 0.35 cc twice a day

..... no wonder he isn't getting better :(

Also, if he has fluid in his lungs he will need to go on Lasix for awhile ... and you will need to closely watch him for dehydration

Last edited:
So basically the two doses he has had have really not been strong enough to do anything.......I hope he makes it through the night so we can get him to the vet asap tomorrow and get him better because he is my heart and I am not willing nor ready to let him go yet!

a small piece of dark chocolate (not milk chocolate) may help to keep his airway open

Sounds like the humidifier and the Benadryl may have helped
ask lilspaz68 for ideas and about continuing this

When was the last dose? Depending on how long it's been, give him the .15 cc he's been missing or the accurate .35 dose
Honestly the full dose might be a good boost, but if it's only been a few hours then you can try and fill the gap

I will try and get him to take it..Is there anything else I can do for him? anything to help him breathe better?

He is just barely getting any air through his mouth...should I force him to take it anyway? I don't want him to choke or aspirate it into his lungs....

Can you mix it in something tasty so he might be more willing to take it?
The only other thing I know of is an inhaler or raw honey / dark chocolate to act as bronchodilators.

make sure the room isn't too dry but since he panic in the bathroom, he may have fluid in his lungs
so make sure the humidity doesn't get too high or he will find it extremely difficult to breath

Does it taste good?
You can mix it with something that tastes good and try to get him to lick it off your fiunger
or

You can try putting a drop into the side of his mouth/cheek with a needleless syringe
Only a tiny bit at a time and not straight in as that will choke him

It is hard to eat and breath at the same time
Do you have an emergency vet on call?
He may need to go into an oxygen tank or be put to sleep if it get too bad.

Were you able to get the antibiotics in him? Focus on that for now. If you don't have vehicle you can't go anywhere so your best bet is the antibiotics.

Is he gasping?
How long since he had Benadryl because you said that it helped earlier today

Do you have a puffer ( bronchodilator)?

Last edited:
He won't take anything..not food,water meds..nothing...so guess I will try putting it in his cheek bit by bit? I have no honey or dark chocolate but I do have an inhaler I just would have to know how to give it to him...

I don't know anything about Benadryl ... but thought you posted earlier that it was every 12 hours
Lilspaz68 would know ... I pmed her awhile ago so hopefully she reads it soon

Back