Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So yesterday we took the girls to the vet (Rose&Honey) but I went for moose too because yesterday when he woke up his nose was runny and he had the sneezes. He has his antibiotics but today he is having moments where he just can't catch his breath from all the snot...he almost sounds like he is drowning in it. Is there anything I can do to ease his suffering until the antibiotics kick in? I was gonna rush him to the vet but surprise they are closed till 8am tomorrow....Closet vet is 2 hours away and I have no way of getting there today...This is so frustrating and sad.:tearful:

You could try some benadryl, it helps "dry out" the snot.
Do you have any Children's Benadryl?

You could try a steamy room, but I would be on high alert if he shows any symptoms of distress. The steam could help loosen the snot, or it could cause him distress if you feel like he is already "drowning" in snot.

I do have childrens benadryl..How much do I give him? I will do that and then try the steam if that doesn't seem to help...Boo bear and Timmy are snuggling him :)

Last edited:
What's the strength? Some brands vary on strength.
The dose will be 1-2 mg/kg.
If you tell me his weight and the strength of the Benadryl (X MG / X ML) I can run the numbers for you.

Ok, middle ground dose of 1.5 mg/kg would be .38 cc.
You can give it every 12 hours if it helps. If you go to the vet, you might not want to give it to him for 12 hours beforehand (you want the vet to see him with "full" symptoms)

Last edited:
If you do try steam (ie taking him into a steamy bathroom), watch him very carefully and if it makes him worse get him out of there immediately.
Steam helps some rats with respire infections but with those who are accumulating fluid in their lungs it makes it much much harder for them to breath

Well I should be able to give him atleast one dose of it and I hope it helps cause him being sick is eating my soul..I have to take Hope tomorrow so...I am gonna see if they can squeeze him in with her and I can just hold him the whole time and she can have the carrier to herself or just let him take her appointment since she is just going for a ivermectin shot and I was gonna try and get them to give me the revo instead for all of them...Today is just a bad day...It is my grandmas birthday that I lost last year and is also the 5 year mark of my nephews passing :( just a bad day! Thanks you all for your help it is much appreciated!

The Benadryl should help. If it does help and he is looking bad again, then just give him a dose again whether you are going to the vet or not. His comfort is important.
I'm sorry your having a bad day, memorial days truly are difficult. :hugs:

Ok I just gave it to him...he is really having trouble breathing :( I hope it helps him.He went in between my pillows after and is now going to sleep so I am just gonna let him rest there awhile.

He has been super sleepy all day :( Now he is avoiding me...he is usually a very attention seeking,cuddly rat but now he doesn't even want me to touch him....It's breaking my heart.

This just came out of his nose...and it followed lots of what I am hoping is porphyrin, I also have the humidfier in my room going hoping that is helping him get this crud out of his nose...http://youtu.be/2EmYUzJuM0A

IMG_3051.jpg

Moose is finally breathing well enough to eat and drink so I put him back in with the other boys. He was hungry boy!

Glad he got that chunk out!
Also glad he's breathing better now. You might want to put that humidifier in your rat room, especially if you have a dry house. Not sure if you have a hygrometer, but ~40% humidity is desirable.
He is very sweet looking :heart:

It definitely has been dry in our house the past couple of days...yesterday I couldn't breath out my nose so I can definitely run our humidifier for them..we actually have 2 so we can share :) He just took his antibiotic though he was not willing and he also has slimy yellowish bowel movements...and is starting to have trouble breathing again...Looks like no sleep for this momma again tonight.I did get him to eat and drink earlier when he started feeling better so he has done that.

Back