Moose having trouble breathing..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am gonna call them in a few minutes and check up on him...and who sleeps? It is cage cleaning day and I thought I should probably do a deep clean in the room..steam mop,wipe down stands..ect. I don't think I could sleep if I tried honestly my stomach is in knots from the stress.I am gonna need a wall chart for all these med soon..rose is on antibiotics so is honey..Hope has her surgery tuesday and she will get antibiotics as well but not sure she will need them right? Poor toby is missing his adopted daddy :( first thing he did when I came in the room after dropping moose off was come to the cage door like "Hey mom! where is dad?" so I took him out and he was sniffing me (think he was smelling moose on me) and he got on the bed and was looking around and then I put him back and the cage he started throwing like a little temper tantrum..pulling at the fleece liner like it did him wrong and boo bear came over and just laid over him and started grooming him. I felt like he was saying "It's ok buddy, just calm down!" .He is giving me the stink eye right now :)

I hope they are giving him Lasix to get the fluid out of his lungs so he can breath
and I hope they took an x-ray and are treating what is wrong with him
and giving him sub-Q fluids as needed

If he doesn't improve soon he will need to be pts to prevent further suffering
Here is important info on making sure it is done humanely as most vets do not know how when it comes to small animals like pet rats http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

Hoping Moose is soon doing much better
{{hugs}}

I don't even wanna think about putting him to sleep but I know it is a possibility that is on the table right now...I am almost scared to call and see how he is doing but I have to know.Thank you for the link and if it comes to that then I will make sure they do it properly :)

Well pretty sure my original girl gabby is also sick as well as zoey..couple of the boys are sneezing...all have cold wet noses and lexi has a little porphyrin discharge from her nose....WTH is going on??? First Hope then Honey and then rose..now moose and 2 more...Humidity is about 38 in the room and I try to keep the temperature between 70-73 depending on how cold it is outside..What am I doing wrong? Only thing that has changed recently is their bedding and I switched to clean and cozy which I am not a fan of cause it gets smelly fast so was on to the next one..everything else is the same.

If you have a virus it is important to get everyone who is ill on baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) orally twice a day for at least 6 weeks if it helps .... and have enough meds to start anyone else immediately as they become ill. A third antibiotic can be added to the above combo if it isn't strong enough.

I think you may need an emergency appointment today with one of those vets knowledgeable in successfully treating rats
Ask lilspaz68 and hopefloats what they think ... right now
It sounds like this needs to happen immediately

Last edited:
That's all you can do if it is a virus.
Viruses spread, unlike bacterial infections, so it could be why they are all sick.
OR maybe they do all just have conveniently timed URIs, I can't say for sure.
How many are sick?
Hopefloats is treating a virus that hit her rescue....
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30369&page=48

This is how she described the start:
Tuesday January 7, I lost Daryl. He was an old man rat who is a heart problem boy, had a tumor so It wasnt unexpected. Later that day I found Hershel who is my tilty boy breathing really hard, not expected. We lost him an hour later. I checked his cage-mates and Claire was very ill as well. Unexpected. I gave her meds and did our rounds and went to bed.

I woke up on January 8, Wednesday checked on the rats, found claire climbing the bars. We lost her an hour later. I started to panic at this point. We lost PJ later that night. Pj is another heart boy who has been going down hill super fast.

I started noticing more sneezes finding more rats struggling to breath and very Ill. Remy, Charlie, Tank, Diesel, Opie, Clay, Colt, Bumblebee, Morganna, Qwenny, Allanah, Irish, Liam, Rex, 2 of the girls of the 18, All of these are improving now or slowly improving but we are not done yet. The list goes on and on. We have maybe a dozen that are not sneezing right now. I am sure they will be soon. I am medicating every rat in the house

Who was your latest intake?

Rose is the newest rescue...We got her the 6th of jan and I believe it was a couple of days after that hope started getting sick and then a few days after that honey..they went to the vet the 13th of jan and then rose and honey went the 3rd for rose cause she sounded yucky and was sneezy and honey for her skin thats when we find out she has mites..honey got a second round of antibiotics then and then moose started his wet sneezes on the 3rd and then wednesday when I woke up was when I noticed his trouble breathing...that brings us to today where now gabby and zoey are showing signs and shy guy and boo bear both have sneezes today and everyone has a wet cold nose....

So out of the 14..6 so far are or have been(Honey seems fine but she is on round 2 of her antibiotics) sick unless you count the sneezy boys then 8 of 14.

Moose is still the same...they gave him the breathing treatment and a steroid shot so fingers crossed that works..I am once again waiting for the vet herself to call me back so I can inform her that this might possibly be something more then what we originally thought and to make an appointment for the girls tomorrow since we have to go get moose anyway...or so I hope he feels better atleast a bit by then or we might have to leave him till monday.

It does sound like it could be a virus
Unfortunately, as far as I know, you cant diagnose a virus unless a test is done post-mortem
Or if most/all of your colony falls ill at the same time
The timing seems kind of off though, if Rose brought the virus in I would have expected it to spread sooner

I think hopes hit something like 2 weeks after the last intake but this is more like 4
So you could just be terribly unlucky with myco flares this week in particular ~_~;

Terribly unlucky is my middle name :) The vet better atleast get me a christmas present for the $627 I have spent the past 3 1/2 weeks haha and yes I sure hope that it helps him feel better....I am still gonna get gabby and zoey in tomorrow and just keep an eye on toby and boo bear and keep rat phoning them.

Ok so the vet just paid off her debt :) She just called and told me that she did give him his antibiotics by injection..like I wanted!!! and his fluids of course and she has him on oxygen in between treatments. She also asked my permission to take him home with her so she can watch him tonight which warmed my heart a bit. She will call me in the morning when they get to the clinic and let me know how he is doing or if anything changes she will call ASAP.

You could of picked something up at the vet. I'm pretty sure that is what caused my latest round of illinesses - I'm up to 9 right now in various stages of respiratory illiness. 5 in one cage, 1 in the cage next to them, and 3 in the cage next to them.

Some we have on doxy just to prevent illiness

Moose isn't improving so if he isn't better in the next 12 hrs we are gonna have to consider "other" options which we all know what that means :(

My best healing wishes for Moose. It is just SO HARD to see them so ill.
You are an awesome mom with everything I have read. More ratties need homes like that! You are blessed to have the finances that go along with it.
It certainly helps.

That's too bad, is he getting worse? I would think as long as he is staying the same and stable he's hanging in there, but I have no idea how bad his condition is. Praying for the little guy. Time to bring out the cheerleaders.

:cheering: :cheer: Go Team Moose! :cheering: :cheer:

Back