Luke - abscess - nother one-different area pg 9

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Jen, have you tried Novotrimel/bactrim/septra?

It has always worked wonders for abscesses.
Once on another forum, this one lady, her rat kept having abscesses, finally she decided to try the Septra and it never came back.

Is that an oral thing you give Jo or some type of flush?

I am not dropping him at the vet after all today. I soaked him last night and gavehim meds and checked it this morning, has gone down in size. Soaked him again this morning. I'm going to call the vet and talk to her about this, from my standpoint he still looks like he is eating ok and all. If anything she is there tomorrow night at the ER vet, but I would rather have the thing drain on its own for once than having to put him under iso again and lance it and well you get the idea.....

Also on the list is to talk to the vet about other meds. Though I seriously think this is a "different" abscess from his initial issue preneuter. This one almost looks like the one Shelaghs rat, Ortiz, I think had post neuter.

I've never brought in a rat for an abscess, I always took care of it myself. So I think watching it at home is good.
Is he already on Baytril? If so, he shouldn't of developed an abscess.
I would try Bactrim/Septra. It's a cheap med.

jorats said:
I've never brought in a rat for an abscess, I always took care of it myself. So I think watching it at home is good.
Is he already on Baytril? If so, he shouldn't of developed an abscess.
I would try Bactrim/Septra. It's a cheap med.

No he was not on baytril to begin with. I had asked the vet about putting him on that post neuter, due to his previous abscess issues and she said that since it WAS a sterile surgery he should not need it.

I just started him up on the baytril again last night after noticing the thing.

If he's reacting to to an internal stitch that didnt' dissolve it would occur anyways but I have noticed that my boys who had baytril after the neuter (even if only for 7 days) never developed abscesses, and the ones who didn't (3 out of 4 did).

Did you mean Beni, Jen?
Benisoggy.jpg

I take care of all my abscesses at home, unless its more complicated, like Seb's cheek abscess (only to find that it was an abscessed tumour).

Just remember...Flush, flush, flush when it finally opens. I use saline and it works amazingly...never had a recurrence yet :D

Yes, like Beni, sorry I kept thinking it was Ortiz. Except its closer to his prepuce not so much on the scrotal area where the stitches are. I think it could also be from where they shaved him and he may have gotten an ingrown hair from it or even they had knicked him without realizing with the shaver.

Talked to the vet earlier today. She said continue with what I am doing and if it gets worse or if I think she needs to see it she is there tomorrow night at the ER vet and is also on this weekend.

My poor Lukie rat! I just want the abscesses to go away.

lilspaz68 said:
Abs and flushing should take care of that persistent little beggar :p

Honestly, she flushed it and drained it and by the time we got home the pocket had flattened out totally and dried up. She said it would probably do that by the next day. So I literally have no area to flush out, not that thats a bad thing at this point.

Fingers crossed, he is still on abs and it looks really good. Totally dried up and just a nice normal looking skin cut there. No more pocket of nastiness.

HAHA it came back.

No its not funny, its just irritating. Have been warm compressing for the last few days, expecting green ooze from the scab tonight. I so love abscesses. Will take a picture of it for all to see tonight, hopefully it will start opening up more.

I have some of that at home, the bactrim. Guess its time to switch him from baytril to that. I was looking at my abs the other day and that is one of the meds I have for Dusty.

Back