Luke - abscess - nother one-different area pg 9

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

I found a small lump type thing on Luke last night, it's on his belly. It feels like an abscess but I don't see any cuts or scabs in the area, thinking maybe it is an old injury just coming to the surface? Anyway I started attempting to warm compress the area last night and also got baytril into him last night and this morning in case it is an abscess. We have a vet appointment tonight, I've already warned them he is not the nicest rat to strangers so they are prepared to sedate him with gas if we need to do that for the vet to see him.

Wish us luck!
Jen

Oh no... I hope it's an abscess. Even vets can't always tell. Before rushing to surgery, I'd make sure he has a couple of weeks of Baytril, just in case it is an abscess!
Good luck little man!!

No I am not going to rush into surgery with him, just want to make sure the vet sees it because I will be needing more baytril with both him and Peanut being on it! So need to make sure they are aware I need more!

I'll tell you a scary story...
My Isabelle developed a mystery lump under her armpit. It was so strange and my vet was 100% sure it was a fibrosarcoma. It was dire news. She gave me three options: 1. do nothing, wait till it grows and becomes a hindrance to her and have her pts. 2. biopsy which then will make the cancer spread all over. or 3. aggressive treatment, immediate arm amputation.
Usually, I always go for the most aggressive treatment. I like to nip it in the bud, but for some reason, my gut was telling me to wait.
So I did. She was put on Baytril... and a week later, I felt a scab. I did warm compresses and the thing popped. It wasn't a typical abscess. In fact, I don't even know what the heck it was. So much weird gunk came out of it, almost looked like thick elastics? I kept getting stuff out till there remained nothing but the sack, which healed up completely two weeks later.
Of course my vet is thrilled that she was wrong...but god... what if I had went with option #3. :shock:

Yah I really think its an abscess or some fluid filled thing, it doesn't feel hard like the mammary tumors feel.

I was thinking of asking them to aspirate it to make sure its an abscess, sometimes they want to aspirate them, then others don't so I dunno. Will definitely continue compresses.

I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully all goes well.

My Emma has a lump on her throat currently, but my vet is moving locals and wont be up and running until October.. and I can't find a suitable substitute for the time being.

Jo.. that is the scariest and ickiest story ever.

Well as I suspected (yay for abscesses!) it was an abscess! The vet had to give him a touch of isoflurane and then he aspirated it and got the ooze out. Told me to start abs, oh wait I already did, I keep surprising this vet.

The vet and I still have not established the full trust thing yet, where he realizes I have a clue but we are getting there I think!!

yay, I'm so glad it wasn't a tumor :bliss: I had a scare with my Chimo a while back that turned out to be an abcess (thanks again Jorats :D ) I'm glad your Luke will be ok it can be so scary when you don't know what is going on :clapping: good healing vibes to your baby :hello:

Unfortunately this morning when I woke up he was licking furioursly and had what appeared to be blood in his urine or maybe its just that the abscess is that close to the prepuce that it is causing issues?. Dropped the fuzz off at our "rat" vet as I want to be sure we get this fully taken care of this time around.

Haven't heard anything yet, I didn't watch when the vet aspirated yesterday, I don't think he went that deep and punctured anything, besides if he did wouldn't we have seen those issues immediately? <sigh>

Turns out the abscess originally started in his prepuce and then continued forming off to the side. Vet knocked the boy out with iso and checked in the prepuce, found the area near the base where it started, cleaned and flushed the entire thing out put animax inside (antibiotic ointment) and we are going to watch it for a day or so. Hoping that it will continue to drain and not refill; if it refills then she said the "blister" area off to the side where I found the original abscess will need to be lanced and to let it heal that way.

So again, yay for pus I guess :shock: ewwwwwwww!!!!

Back