Luke - abscess - nother one-different area pg 9

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ongoing saga....

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO EXCITED!!!!! AND ECSTATIC!!!!!

Came home tonight to check Luke and found the scab had popped off, YAY!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! Nice gross (normal) looking pocket inside. Not really a smell to it, yes I smelled, but I flushed it with warm salt water anyway, with my large flushing syringe so we could get it done quickly. Talked to the vet over the phone who said to continue our Trypzyme-v drops (herbal supplement promote healing healthy granulation tissue) into it. Will put that on after the salt water dries it up some. The trypzyme-v promotes the healthy formation of good tissue, so she said even if there is still some yucky stuff in there this will help to kill in along with flushing it.

I so hope at this point we are on the way to being abscess free!!!!

Looked at him yesterday and he has another area of swelling from the neuter area. Think maybe he is reacting to his sutures. Have a call into the vet today. Started warm compressing and ab's agaiin yesterday.

The ongoing saga......

The abscess is coming up, but not breaking through the skin and opening. Do I take him into the vet to get it lanced or continue trying to get this one to come to a head? Its "just" there, just no visible scab.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to pm me. I swear if he would sit still for a min I would lance the thng myself.

He has been on abs since we saw it forming again.

Luke went back to the vet today for surgery. The abscess came back, 3rd or 4th time it has. So she opened it up. flushed it, checked for any random sutures still causing issues....and ended up chemically cauterizing the wound with some cream they have. Says she hopes this will be the end of the abscess, don't we all. Also trimmed and debrided a lot of skin she said in hopes of keeping the fluid build up down.

Poor Luke. She is sending him home with plenty of pain meds and he got some while he was there.

Well Luke had his surgery last week to thoroughly clean the thing. They cauterized it and all at that point.

He went back in today for a recheck on the incision, as I have never seen a cauterized incision and wanted to make sure it was healing ok. Vet debrided it a little bit again. Said it is looking "ok".

I was told to keep him on his ab's (baytril) and now we are going to put sugar on his wound there. :shock: The shocked look was what I gave the phone during the conversation, but she says that with wounds like this that are incredibly hard to get healed the sugar helps to get the granulizing tissue forming to heal it.

So sugar for Luke. I told her now he is going to be obsessed with licking himself....along with having the rest of the herd want to lick him.

jorats said:
Oh boy... yep, there's going to be a whole lot of licking going on!

yah. Not sure how that is going to work. In the evenings I can put the sugar on him and then let them all out to play, that will be enough of a distraction on that one....then when they get back in the cage well we'll see.

Mornings on the other hand. Not sure. He needs to be sugared twice a day. Maybe will do that as soon as I get up then let him chill on the bed for a few while I prep their breakfast.

About the only other thing you can do is to have surgery and remove the abscess capsule itself. That's Dr. Munn's final solution when an abscess keeps recurring.

Sam didn't have any pus though, but because it was cancer, he didn't heal. The vet had me put antibiotic cream on it twice a day. He was also on Baytril and Metacam. I wonder if sugar would have helped in his case?

Luke went to the vet today to have his incision and scrotal area checked. ABSCESS FREE!!!!!! Mind you he was neutered early November, finally, the sugar did the trick!!!!

:cheer: :ratwave: :wow3:

Finally, I can stop beating a dead horse, :hithorse: , so tired of abscesses!!! Go Luke!!

Back