How cold is it?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
If it makes you feel better... Rudolph is real. :wink2:

I'm confused. In the "Night Before Christmas" when Santa calls out all the reindeer's names, he doesn't mention Rudolph? So where was Rudolph? Did he oversleep? Was he out getting coffee? :mrgreen:

So, Rudolph, with his nose so bright, does not guide Santa's sleigh at night? There's another shattered childhood memory! :nod:

What is he then...a telemarketer? :lol:

KMG365 said:
Jack Sparrow said:
Parents are probably telling the children about reindeers because it is a lot cuter and that because muggles are not supposed to know about the existence of sorcerers.

And yes, Santa is a sorcerer and he has more power than Voldemort.

Does J.K. Rowling write Christmas stories now? :lol:

She has always been telling the truth about things. As most of us here are muggles, then we don't know of the existence of the sorcerer world. The only sorcerer known to muggles is Santa.

As adults think that there is no such things as magic, they stop believing in Santa when they reach an age called reasonable. In reality, this is the work of the sorcerers wanting us to stop believing in Santa when we are old enough to question ourselves about the magic aspect of him.

Sorcerers have a direct effect in our lives but they are able to disguise it in a way that we, muggles, think it is either a natural catastrophe, or the effect of the pollution.

Currently, Voldemort has found a serious rival named Wintermort. Wintermort's goal is to get rid of all sorcerers or muggles who have a real problem with the colour white.

Wintermort has a very powerful weapon. He is able to create a white substance that he hides in those with stuff in the sky (we call those white stuff clouds). In critical times, Wintermort release the white substance that falls into the surface of the Earth. Muggles people call that substance snow.

The battle between Wintermort and Voldemort has increased this year as both of them have recruited a lot of new members. At this moment, Voldemort is still stronger than Wintermort.

Let's just hope that Wintermort doesn't take control as that would mean that the entire planet will be covered with snow in a near future.

jorats said:
Awww... thanks Fidget!

I'm going to need more than reminding me of when my boys were young.
cause it's STILL SNOWING!!! and we have to go out and shovel the driveway!!! :gaah:
I wish I could just pop over there and blow hot air on it for you! :lol:

Jack Sparrow said:
Parents are probably telling the children about reindeers because it is a lot cuter and that because muggles are not supposed to know about the existence of sorcerers.

And yes, Santa is a sorcerer and he has more power than Voldemort.

KMG365 said:
Does J.K. Rowling write Christmas stories now? :lol:

Jack Sparrow said:
She has always been telling the truth about things. As most of us here are muggles,

Most of us? Are you keeping secrets? :D

Jack Sparrow said:
As adults think that there is no such things as magic, they stop believing in Santa when they reach an age called reasonable. In reality, this is the work of the sorcerers wanting us to stop believing in Santa when we are old enough to question ourself about the magic aspect of him.

I've always been more interested in the "present" aspect. :D

Jack Sparrow said:
Wintermort has a very powerful weapon. He is able to create a white substance that he hides in those with stuff in the sky (we call those white stuff clouds). In critical times, Wintermort release the white substance that fall into the surface of the Earth. Muggles people call that substance snow.

How does that explain seasons then? Does this mean that every winter, Canada suddenly finds itself in a critical time?

KMG365 said:
How does that explain seasons then? Does this mean that every winter, Canada suddenly finds itself in a critical time?

Jack Frost is the real person who control winters in Canada. As creating snow is a very tiring job, he then summernite between the end of March and the end of November to have more energy to create snow.

Jack Frost is a sorcerer but he doesn't have the same power as Voldemort or Wintermort. He can only produce a certain maximum of snow a year.

Jack is currently neutral in the battle between Wintermort and Voldemort. However, Wintermort has submitted Jack to the imperio curse, forcing him to reveal his secret of how we create snow. Then Wintermort submitted Jack to the Obliviate curse to prevent him to remember anything.

The 2008 winter has been exceptional. It started around November 18 and no one knows for sure when it is going to end, or IF it is going to end.

This is the work of Wintermort. As he didn't have a lot of followers before, Wintermort didn't have the possibiltiy to show his true power. But now we can expect to see the effect of the war between Voldemort and him. (Wintermort is still not an expert at creating snow and therefore needs more practice.)

As long as Voldemort is stronger than Wintermort, we will still see Spring, Summer and Fall in Canada. But I am afraid that those 3 seasons will soon become extremely short and that eventually, the whole planet will be called the "White Huge Snow Ball White Planet".

Once again, even if Voldemort is evil, it is preferable that he keeps control of the situation as Wintermort is far more dangerous than him.

Wow! That's a lot of information. :D

Is all of this actually covered in the books? I've seen all the movies, but I haven't read any of the books.

The spells that I mentionned have been used in the books on some people. But nothing has been mentionned about Wintermort, or this war against Voldy, or how he has been controlling that poor Jack Frost. (By the way when we have hail, it is Jack's tears about the whole situation.)

I have been informed of the whole thing by my good friends Sirius Black and Remus Lupin.

[spoiler:11vizvdu]Even if they are both dead, I am in constant communication with them. Don't tell anyone but I possess the Resurrection Stone so I can talk to the dead. That is the proof that ghosts do exist.[/spoiler:11vizvdu]

Remus and Sirius have been telling me about all of this. For people who read the books, we all know that Remus have tried to work with the werewolves to convince them to join Dumbledore's side. However, the werewolves seem to prefer Voldemort's side.

What is not said in the book and one thing that Remus admitted to me is the following. He met the werewolves but explained to them the whole situation about Wintermort. So he has convinced them to join Voldemort in order to avoid letting Wintermort taking control.

But this was a secret between Remus and I. We have to make sure we do not let Dumbledore or Wintermort know about this.

Hagrid did the same thing with the giants.

Jack Sparrow said:
As adults think that there is no such things as magic, they stop believing in Santa when they reach an age called reasonable. In reality, this is the work of the sorcerers wanting us to stop believing in Santa when we are old enough to question ourself about the magic aspect of him.
What's 'reasonable' about stopping believing in the things that made our lives most joyful eh? Those are mighty evil sorcerers to take Santa away and leave George Bush.

I see. So, to sum it all up, Canadian weather is created by duelling dead sorcerers who were, in turn, created by an author from Britain. Whatever happened to the good old days when thunder was just the sound of God bowling? :lol:

KMG365 said:
I see. So, to sum it all up, Canadian weather is created by duelling dead sorcerers who were, in turn, created by an author from Britain. Whatever happened to the good old days when thunder was just the sound of God bowling? :lol:

Noooooooooooooo!!! Voldemort and Wintermort are far from being dead. They are the most powerful sorcerers. I know that Santa Claus is more powerful than Voldemort but he is too fat to get involved in any of the fights.

In another hand, Frosty is only pretending to be Santa Claus's friend but in reality, he works for Wintermort. Santa Claus is on Dumbledore side but he is not really useful when it comes to battle.

As for thunder, it is coming from Rainymort, the sorcerer who want the Earth to be sunk under water. So Rainymort and Wintermort don't get along well fortunately as they could both create very big dammages to the planet if they decided to join their force.

Whenever Rainymort and Wintermort fight against each other, they throw spells at each other using their wand. The noise that we hear (thunder) is the noise of the wands throwing the spells, nothing more.

KMG365 said:
Lina said:
Well I guess warm by your standants, the area I live in had -10oC frosts last winter and some inland areas can go as low as -20oC. My area doesn't get much snow and when we do it only lasts a few days if that but those who live higher up and inland can get a lot of snow. and of course it seems to snow the most just when the lambs are being born.

That sounds cold even by our standards. :D I had no idea that your country could get so cold during the winter and I certainly didn't expect that you'd be getting snow - except maybe in the mountains.

There's a freezing rain warning for my area for this morning and it looks like we got about 5cm of snow last night. I'm guessing that we must be close to setting a new snowfall record this year.

It's amazing how our temperatures fluctuate...last week most of our snow had melted and we had daytime highs of over 12 degrees!

The North Island doesn't get snow except on the mountains, they are much more tropical than the South Island. I live near the bottom of the South Island. There is nothing but sea between us and the South Pole. But most of our winter temps sit around approx 5 -12oC and summer temps approx 14- 25oC. 25 is a hot day for us but we had a couple of 35oC days this summer.
New Zealand has lots of great ski fields (not that I go sking)

Lina said:
The North Island doesn't get snow except on the mountains, they are much more tropical than the South Island. I live near the bottom of the South Island. There is nothing but sea between us and the South Pole. But most of our winter temps sit around approx 5 -12oC and summer temps approx 14- 25oC. 25 is a hot day for us but we had a couple of 35oC days this summer.
New Zealand has lots of great ski fields (not that I go sking)

The summer temperatures you listed sound pretty close to those of an average Canadian summer. I guess I just assumed that Australia and New Zeland would be baking all year round. :oops: How far are you from the South Pole? (It's obviously been a while since I've taken any geography courses! :D )

Most of australia bakes but even down south there I don't think they get much in the way of frosts and snow.
The sea affects our weather patterns what with us being on islands, I think noone in NZ is further than 200kms from the sea. And I don't know how far away the South Pole is. :)

Hasn't been cold this week :D temps in the double digits :clapping: was +25C here yesterday, they even had a story of a local man who went for a swim in Trout Lake, I wouldn't swim in that lake even if it was +40, that lake is too cold even on the best of days :shock:

Back