How cold is it?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
It's suppose to be spring.
It's -17C (1.4 F) and it's -24 C (-11.2 F) with the windchill.

I know, I know, I keep whining about this but I just can't get over how cold it is. I really need some heat. I need the snow to melt. :(

Snow is melting even if it is cold. At this time of year, the Sun is significantly warmer than it is in the middle of January. If we have a bright sunny day like today in Ottawa, snow is melting, slowly but surely.

When the temperature gets warm, snow often melts too quickly, it is very messy and wet out there with all the water and there are risks for floods.

Right now, the snow is going from a solid state directly to a gaz state without being liquid in between. This is called sublimation and it is a lot cleaner and less risk for major floods. The only disavantage of this it that it will take much longer to melt. But we have to remember that even if it is really cold out there, the snow does melt because of the Sun.

There is somebody somewhere in Ottawa or Gatineau who found a trick to avoid having Mount Everest on his property every winter.

He snow blow his snow in his garage then close it and heat it. The snow melts and he has a system so the water doesn't flood his garage.

We should all send our snow to this guy.

Another funny story I read is that guy who sold his mountain of snow on Ebay. Apparently they had to cancel the sell because of some problem with shipping. They didn't realize that it might be a little difficult to ship a mountain of snow.

So far, our forecast looks pretty good. This is the first time, in a long time, that all daytime highs for the week are above 0! :bliss:

Wow, I can finally post about the nice weather for a change!!! It's +10 C!!! (50F)

I think I'll get ready and go for a walk. :rofl3:

Yeah, thats me with the addition of a broken thumb in a cast. Yep.. my cage cleaning has gone no where still. :roll:

Holy smokes. I've had a headache too... but a few extra strength tylenols is keeping it at bay.

The walk was a amazing... but it sure stunk big time, I don't like the putrid spring thaw smell. Can't wait for the blooms to mask it. lol

Total hell here!!

Last week on Thursday we had 70F temps!! Then, on Saturday, it started to snow! The next day we got :shock: 8 inches of snow!!! :shock:

Now, today, it was almost 60F and tomorrow through Friday, we are supposed to get another 6-8 inches of snow with some areas around us getting 10+ inches!!

What the heck!?!?

Back