Dolci is gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
I wonder if she may have suffered a stroke?

She's Mattie's cagemate too? Funny they would have the same kind of symptoms?

As soon as I saw how bad her impairment was last night I popped her in with Mattie and friends. So she hasn't been with them more than 16 hours now. this morning she was really impaired though. :(

I really want to describe how she was acting last night, it was very interesting adn confusing, but now I am at work, maybe later tonight. I would love insight on what I saw last night.

This is the first chance I've had to read through this thread past my last comment. How Scary!! It's amazing that Mattie is coming around the way she is. I hope you find a solution to her grasping food problems. Although I wouldn't mind living on ensure and bananas in my old age. Lol... With my really old ones in the past with problems eating... I've soaked lab blocks, or even dipped lab blocks in yogurt and held the block for them as they licked off the yogurt and nibbled the softened block out of my hand. One old rat Cairo was so bad with his URI's that nothing smelled like food to him and he started refusing to eat except for what I handed him(Because obviously even if he couldn't smell it, it must have been a special treat if Mom was giving it to him personally) So we would have an hour every night where I would go through the food bowls and pick out 'The good stuff' and hold it for him while he ate. Even when he felt really terrible he would eat like that, half in my palm, his hands wrapped around my fingers holding his food. Nomnom very slowly.

Good luck to Dolci and Mattie. Hang in there old gals.

Poor Dolci! I hope that she's OK when you get home. It must be so hard to go off to work when something like that has happened.

[We should have a thread titled How Often I Have Been Late to Work Because of the Ratties)

Pats to Dolci and Mattie...

Dolci looks about the same as before. It really does seem like PT but we'll know more tomorrow after her visit to my vet. I think the Dolci-meister will be spending the night in the small cage on my bed. :( I am sure I will lose her before Mattie.. :sad-p:

That just sucks. :(

I don't know how you do it Shelagh, you take in the older rats and you know this is what's waiting for you. You must be an angel.

jorats said:
That just sucks. :(

I don't know how you do it Shelagh, you take in the older rats and you know this is what's waiting for you. You must be an angel.

I totally agree.

Old rats are an inspiration to me. The adversities they faced previously, the love they can instantly turn on (unlike some younger rats who take their time or have better things to do)...the wise old soul eyes. They are the ones who keep me from burning out...I love all rats but those oldies or the super neglected ones are the ones that make me feel I am actually doing something to make a bit of difference.

Dolci came to me as I guess a year old, but looked like a malnourished 5 month old. Her sister/cagemate came to me with the tilted head which has never changed../Dolci was just umm...insane LOL

I have decided to bring in Mattie as well to Dr. Munn for a look-see. I want to see if her heart is irregular too, and she will need meds as well. This could be one very expensive day, as I have to stock up on my other meds as well. :roll: Merry Christmas munchkins!!!! :lol:

But on to Breakfast. Dolci actually looks a bit better this morning. Her ears twitch, where Mattie's don't anymore. :(
DolcilooksbetterDec22.jpg

My 2 beautiful old sickies
MattieandDolcimyoldsickies.jpg

Pics at breakfast now???
Mattie-picsoverbreakfast.jpg

Greedy little Mattie
Mattiebeinggreedy.jpg

Classic clubbed foot
Mattie-classicclubbedfoot.jpg

Dolci has kinda figured out how to groom
Dolciisfiguringouthowtogroom.jpg

Mattie uses me instead
Mattieusesmetogroom.jpg

and then just lies there waiting for me to move my hand so she can flip over...
Mattie2.jpg

And off she goes again.... :heart:
Mattiemustwander.jpg

No heart issues overall. Mattie's heart is strong but she was a little dehydrated and got fluids (which she hated).

Mattie has regressed since I was doing the wean off of the dex and skipped her dose yesteday, and is limp again. :( I gave her the dex just now and lets hope she bounces back for tomorrow. It looks like she and Dolci will be on dex/abs for the rest of their lives. Dolci continues to improve. :D

Ah, those beautiful old gals... I especially love the older ones too!
I'm so glad to hear Dolci is showing some improvement and hope Mattie just needs those meds to perk up again!

At least the dex is working, giving them more quality to their lives.
Lets hope they can improve more and have a few more months with you.

Dolci is almost back to before she was not well. She is living in the shallow dish with their food, she is alert-ish and mobile.

Mattie is still limp and fairly unresponsive, but I have seen this before with her. She is sleeping/resting beside or on me this afternoon/evening...I am watching a movie right now. The dex should be kicking in by tomorrow midday so I hope she's improved.

I took some bittersweet pics just now.

MattieinregressionDec22.jpg

Mattieinregression2Dec22.jpg

Dolci has stablized, Mattie after a rough day is a little better. I put Dolci on the couch for her baby cereal and surprisingly Mattie wanted some too. She kept following Dolci, who wasn't sure of this at all. She started getting very nervous (having been trained by the Punks), and finally settled down side by side for cereal. I decided to pop them both in a 1-level hagen cage together. I don't think Mattie has more than a week or less left, and Dolci a bit more, but they can always surprise you. Mattie loves other rats and follows Dolci everywhere. :D She just seems more alert and happier when she is around Dolci :heart:

Pre-Dolci
Mattiethedayafterherregression.jpg

Dolci shows the classic neuro symptom, what I call the PT pushback (notice the little nose beside her new friend)
DolciPTpushback.jpg

New friends whether Dolci wants it or not :mrgreen:
Newfriends3.jpg

Newfriends2.jpg

Newfriends.jpg

Much happier, active girl :D
Mattietheexplorer.jpg

Mattieinthenewcage.jpg

Back