Dolci is gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

We started on baytril and dabbed on the blu-kote tonight. Lets hope this works for the little sweet old gal. She must have a genetic predisposition towards bumblefoot or her cage was filthy, 'cuz she sure isn't obese. :roll:

I have only treated "bumbles" once before and that was with old Farraday. We used the baytril and Fuciderm ointment with the DMSO to get it deep into the tissues with no effect. I was given some Blu-kote and started using that. It was starting to dry up the bumbles but then my sweet old man contracted pneumonia and had to be pts.

I am very curious as to how it does this time around. :)

Mattie's bumblefoot if you haven't seen it already

bumblefootfromtheside.jpg

bumblefootfromthebottom.jpg

I sure do hope it helps. When we had to deal with bumblefoot, Novotrimel worked wonders but Baytril is just as good. Let us know how it goes with the blu kote, I never tried it before.

Not that I know anything about bumblefoot, but from what I've seen in pics, hers doesn't look too bad. I look forward to seeing how the blu kote works out for you. What is it exactly?

And it stains everything, hehe. Totally worth it, though, since it'll help lil Mattie-girl.

Hope it all heals up soon!

I hope it all clears up soon, for both of your sakes... Is obesity linked to bumblefoot? I've nevr really dealt with it, only very mild cases that casued no discomfort and didn't need treating. Maybe that's why Jiggy's got red heels, she;s too fat!!

Shelagh, Just wanted to share with you. Dusty had some possible bumbles popping up a few weeks back and I did my best to add some extra padding to his cage. They were gone a week later. It just looked like they were starting to form and not open sores yet, he is also older like Mattie is.....

Hope they clear up soon.

mamarat2 said:
Shelagh, Just wanted to share with you. Dusty had some possible bumbles popping up a few weeks back and I did my best to add some extra padding to his cage. They were gone a week later. It just looked like they were starting to form and not open sores yet, he is also older like Mattie is.....

Hope they clear up soon.

Once i get the new cage this weekend, I will use fleece in the bottom...i can't do it in the cage they are in now.

Poor Dusty, on top of everything else.

It looks like my wee bright-eyed girl has more issues than bumbles. She is doing little sneezes every once in awhile, and she has a slight tilt, plus she is not using her right forepaw much...sigh. I thought she had hurt her foot/shoulder and was favouring it, but it seems to be more than that. I have to remember this sweet little lady is old (her sister was well over 2 from what I could tell). I told her last night, she wasn't allowed to leave for awhile, but she's soo sweet and passive I am afraid she will not be a fighter. I have added zithro to her baytril, and daily dex for any inflammation. I have to keep reminding myself to wait a few days to see if there's improvement. She totally has Gwinny's eyes.... :heart:

Awww, when you told me that you were trying to figure out if she had a tilt I was hoping you were just being paranoid :(

I'm sure she'll be around as long as she's able, now that she's with you.

Aw, poor Mattie, that's a lot for a little girl at once, I hope her meds can help clear everything up for her. I've sure heard good stuff about that blu-kote.

I've only had 2 get bumblefoot, none of their cagemates did in the same environment and neither was the heaviest of my kids at the time. I wonder if arthritis could make them more prone to bumblefoot as I expect it could alter the way they walk and maybe make them put more pressure on one foot than another?

Fidget said:
Aw, poor Mattie, that's a lot for a little girl at once, I hope her meds can help clear everything up for her. I've sure heard good stuff about that blu-kote.

I've only had 2 get bumblefoot, none of their cagemates did in the same environment and neither was the heaviest of my kids at the time. I wonder if arthritis could make them more prone to bumblefoot as I expect it could alter the way they walk and maybe make them put more pressure on one foot than another?

Definitely! The more pressure the more chance. Just like an obese or elderly rat.

Yesterday I took a video of wee Mattie and she really didn't look good. Her eyes were half-closed and she had almost no dexterity in her left front paw, but her right was just fine. We came up with the possibility of a mini-stroke which would've affected her left side.

Today she is doing much better, eyes are brighter, fur's down again, much more active and sociable...*whew* I was worried there. AND her bumbles seem to be not as prominent :)
Mattieandherbumbles2Dec9.jpg

MattieandherbumblesDec9.jpg

She looks like she's saying "C'mon mom, this is undignified!"
No matter Mattie, you're beautiful. Just feel good as you can little girl!

I see the pic of the bumble foot but what exactly is bumblefoot? (sorry if this was covered somewhere else). I noticed a while back when I first got my babies that on one of them, her back foot, there seems to be a part of a toe missing, but doesn't look missing just looks like it grew that way. I know that isn't bumblefoot because it looks nothing like the pics here. Just wondered what it was exactly. The part of the toe that looks missing isn't really that big, like maybe the length of a nail. Could that be the beginning of a bumble foot or just probably the way she was born? :think:

I hope your little one gets batter.

She may have been born that way, but it's more likely that it was bitten off, by a littermate maybe, or mum when she was trying to carry the baby... One of my girls has half a front toe missine, does it look anything like this?

8a442ddb.jpg

Keep an eye on it, and providing it doesn't go red or sore and infected then it's nothing to worry about... It could have just been caught and torn off, that's not uncommon. Just keep an eye out for infection and if it heals well, or is already healed with no redness, I'd forget about it. And no it's not bumblefoot... bumblefoot always tends to look like mattie's feeties but on varying degrees of severity, tiny red patches are most often the start of a bumble. I hope you baby is ok.

How's mattie doing shelagh?

Back