Dolci is gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolci gave some signs of improvement yesterday but they were a false hope. She is not uncomfortable, but I am making sure by giving her metacam. She eats her baby cereal and rehydration fluid, but she is not going to get better.

I have decided that on Monday I will take Dolci in to Dr. Munn to have her helped across. She's waaay too stubborn to go on her own.

Small update on Mattie: I was speaking to a vet tech friend yesterday discussing treatments of Ivermectin (I have injectable here). I asked if an overdose could muck up a rat's nervous system, and he said "Definitely!".

So I told him about Mattie, having that overdose of injectable Ivermectin from Dr. Sohal that was .25 cc's (instead of .02 cc's) a short while before I took her home. Within a week she had her first small stroke, and then the big one. I asked if the overdose could've caused it...he said for sure. Sigh...poor Mattie had no chance then. :( I still miss her. :cry:

Sad to hear that Dolci is not going to get better, but i am glad that you were able to have her with you a little longer.

That's really hard to hear about Mattie. Med errors are easy to make, even by professionals, but some people don't even double-check. You will miss Mattie for a long time to come.

Kisses and scritches to Dolci; may her last day be a good one.

You've got a couple of days for lots of cuddles and loving till she goes.

I've talked to my vet about the pain in rats especially due to a pt. She assures me that small animals are equipped to deal well with pain, in fact it's almost like it blocks off the pain. I've never seen any of my rats with pt show any pain and I'm a good observer for behaviour changes.
I also talked it over with Vanessa about this and she told me her own exotic vet did say the very same thing to her.

OH Shelagh that's terrible about Mattie, poor thing.

Big hugs to you and Dolci. Give her cuddles and kisses for me too.

Last night AliceMcMallis came over for a visit and kindly sub-cutaneously injected Dolci and got 5 cc's of ringer's lactate into her. She had a dose of metacam and at 6:20 am I heard some very quiet gasping sounds for maybe 5 seconds and then silence. Dolci had finally listened to my pleas. :(

Been prepared, been wanting this, but now that its here I still feel terrible. :cry:

Things happen for a reason. It gave her the chance to go on her own with the delay of a day at the vets. The more we own rats the more we understand them departing us. Boots was not well the last few days and I was hoping she would go on her own and she did. If I had heard of these thoughts when I first owned rats I would have said "How insensitive", :(
I am sorry Dolci has left you but she is at peace now. I must admit I am frustrated to hear of Mattie's story :x They can now run together.
Take Care Shelagh.

Ann

:( i clicked on view my posts, and this one was at the top, with it's title changed and my heart just fell...... so sad... hugs to you and all of your babies xxxxxx

I'm so sorry for the passing of your sweet girl, :cry: I'm glad you got to spend some cuddle time with her before she had to leave you :roseopen:

Back