Urinary Tract Infection?- Bladder Stones Match..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Metacam might be helping! I may be wrong, but her urine is clear after two doses of Metacam. When it cleared up before for a day or two or something, I might have given her Metacam since she was somewhat lethargic. So.. We will see in a couple days for sure!

Now, can a rat live on Metacam?

Yes, a rat can live on Metacam, although it can be hard on the kidneys. I've had several with chronic respiratory issues that have lived on it for quite some time.

Long as she isn't overweight I'd sure give her Ensure/Boost (checking meds warning against imgredients) IF she likes it - for ANY bad condition it's good for lack of appetite, loss of weight, poor diet (if she's picking & chosing her food) and most consider it a treat so it's a happy thing if the kid is feeling rough.
If you don't know what's happening or what to do then treating emotional health is especially important. That's a huge thing in healing (or coping) for any problem.
You can pour a container into an ice cube tray and freeze it.
(A chocolate chip a day and a mini marshmallow twice a week are also good emotional medicine)

So I spoke too soon and the Metacam I do not think was helping, but I am out so need to get more. I mean it could have, but her urine was full of blood again.

Antibiotics Ed has been on, what issues started and when. The best I can remember.

April 2nd to May 2nd she was put on Orbax for some resp issues (whining noises) which cleared it up.

May 1st I noticed her brown/red urine, but I had 2 week old unwashed liners that had stains there too.

May 17th she was put on Zithro for her whining noises that came back which didn't help so it was ended the 22nd.

May 24th she was put on Baytril+Doxy. Which I believe helped for a little while, but while on them the noises came back.

June 12th Ed was started on Clavamox for her urine and I am assuming since it's not written down that I dropped Doxy. It didn't help so it was ended the 17th. She was still on Baytril I believe.

June 20th she started Flagyl and not sure when she ended as I had run out. Her urine cleared up for a day or two but then went back so I can't say if it helped

And currently she is on Baytril and Doxy which doesn't seem to be helping. I just want to drop those meds off of the to try list because I feel the bacteria has become resistant.

You're not keeping her on the meds long enough I don't think to give them a proper chance...as long as she's not deathly ill you might want to give each combo for a week, you bounce on the 5th day so its technically only 4 days on abs when they are just starting to work at the earliest.

The whine worsened so her breathing is labored, and you can tell it's hard to breathe. Her urine is sometimes dark, but recently has been a brighter more "fresh" blood. It's like she bleeds sometimes without peeing.

And what about the Flagyl? I ordered some today. And an update. Her urine is bloodier. It looks like she is peeing straight blood. Ugh. :(

So do I switch Ed to Amoxicillin+Flagyl?

I'm not getting clear answers so I keep asking more questions. I understand how hard it is to follow everyone though.

http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_rena ... hiasis.php

"May observe any of the following:

Difficulty urinating.
Cloudy urine.
Dampness of fur from urine around perineum.
Foul odor.
Bladder distention.
Hematuria (blood in urine).
Absence of urination.
Frequent licking or nipping at genitals.
Listlessness or hunched posture.
Poor appetite.
Dehydration.
Signs of colicky type pain (intermittent spasms of pain)."

The symptoms match. Her bladder is distended now or something is. Here are pictures:
I have linked them because resizing seems not to work lately.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... CN9308.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... CN9309.jpg

Try the flagyl and amoxy (never had a lot of luck with amoxi for serious issues...mild yes).

Stones are rare in rats, but wouldn't they need surgery if they are stones?

It is a possibility. Did your vet palpate her? She has been on the meds that is required, unless it's not long enough? It's hard to say. I'd definitely bring it up with your vet and see what he thinks.
My cat had bladder grains and it was treated with just Clavamox.

I do not believe she palpated her. But when she went to the vet nothing was distended like now.

Surgery I think would be necessary if there are stones she can't pass.

From the pictures does that look like her bladder?

Luckily she has not completely stopped peeing. It is painful and difficult to and often there is nothing, but she hasn't gone a day without at least some urine

RattusNorvegicus said:
I do not believe she palpated her. But when she went to the vet nothing was distended like now.

Surgery I think would be necessary if there are stones she can't pass.

From the pictures does that look like her bladder?
We really can't tell where the bladder is, your vet would know best. I'd bring her back and mention the stones.

Back