Urinary Tract Infection?- Bladder Stones Match..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattusNorvegicus

Yesterday I noticed Eddy's urine was a brownish color. Eddy has been on Orbax since April 2nd for some respiratory issues. Orbax is useful in Urinary tract infections, and I've read rat's can get these while on antibiotics, so does that just mean another antibiotic needs to be given? If so, which antibiotic is best for treating these infections? Any advice or anything will be helpful as I haven't experienced this before.

Sorry, I forgot to respond about the dark part. The spots around the cage look like blood or porphyrin spots. I haven't noticed any vaginal bleeding which is what I first thought when I saw the spots. But then I woke everyone up and had them all pee to see if it was someones urine. I will get some more fluids in her right now, to see if that helps.

Well she peed again. It doesn't really smell. It looks a bit better, so I will continue to give her more water and see how it is next time.

I've noticed that some of mine will have dark pee as well, I wonder is veggies could do that as well? Certain types like radicchio.

Hm. All they've gotten recently is carrots. But I think that may have been after I noticed the spots on the liners.

I got behind on the rats laundry, so today I wanted to catch up. While shaking them off I noticed their liners from one or two weeks ago has the spots too. I do not know how I didn't notice! I only got these white blankets two weeks ago, and other than these, the rest of their liners are dark colors. So I have no idea how long this has been going on. So you see what I mean, here is a picture of her pee/blood spots. I still have not noticed any vaginal bleeding. There are quite a few spots as this liner was on a shelf by their hammocks and when they wake up they jump out and pee here.

DSCN6584.jpg

Thanks guys.

I will call my vet tomorrow. She's also been having some wet sneezes and been wheezing or some type of wheezing..Nothing too bad, but I'll get her in as soon as I can.

Should I bring a paper towel or something with her urine on it so she can see rather than me just explaining?

She has an appointment Thursday at 5. I had her pee on a paper towel a couple times so I will bring it with, and I noticed it does smell quite strong and strange.

Back