Urinary Tract Infection?- Bladder Stones Match..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well of course, that is what I meant..
I have been emailing my vet about this and just sent her the pictures and asked her what she thinks is best at this point.

They show something is distended.

I am doing my best to figure this out with money being so low. I will do everything she needs the best I can.

RattusNorvegicus said:
They show something is distended.

I am doing my best to figure this out with money being so low. I will do everything she needs the best I can.

THIS is a picture a vet can use

jul18Peony.jpg

Yours shows a belly, but if she doesn't know that belly normally it would look normal to any of us. I don't see distention, I don't see bloody anything, I see a belly.

Ah, I do see how it could look like a normal belly. I had to look at the picture differently than I was. I just figured a picture would be better than no picture. The distention can be seen though, if you know it's there. I will schedule an appointment within a week if she doesn't improve on the Flagyl.

Bladder stones can be caused by an untreated bladder infection because the bacteria gives the minerals something to attach to and then stones form. I've only had the experience with my bunny, and I think I mentioned already, metro stabilized her (she was on Baytril already prior to peeing blood) until her surgery. The stone did cause a GI obstruction right before her surgery and she never recovered because we could not get her GI rhythms back to normal (she was still on abs post op for an ear infection).

The GI issues are unique to herbivores but a bladder stone can cause obstructions in other systems and other complications. I think an xray is needed to definitively diagnose stones.

I never got an X-ray or culture.
Her urine has been this way for 18 weeks now. I believe she is developing pulmonary abscesses as her chest just seems to get harder and harder and I feel this doesn't even matter anymore. :cry: She seems to be urinating fine now, at least most of the time, so would it be horrible to say perhaps I should just keep her hydrated and not try to figure it out anymore? When she can't fight anymore (which will hopefully be in a very long time, it seems like the more love your rats get, the stronger they are. I feel I have several more months with her if she does have pulmonary abscesses) I will update this thread mentioning what me and/or my vet finds inside lest anyone else experiences this.

When I make block mush she pees a lot, and it's much clearer. I assume though that so much water intake would make it so the urine doesn't sit in the bladder the amount of time it normally would which reduces the amount of blood that collects. Or kidneys, or wherever she bleeds...wherever the blood gathers.

Back