Urinary Tract Infection?- Bladder Stones Match..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K, I will take a sample over on Monday since they aren't open until then. Ed seems tired today..I am hoping she is feeling well. She did stay up later than usual.

She said there is a lot of blood in her urine and they'd like to do a culture but I can't afford one. She said it's most likely not an infection since the Baytril would've covered it. Any ideas what it could be? I feel hopeless. My rats are exhausted me with their undiagnosable illnesses.

I'm very surprised that you vet doesn't realize that not all bacteria respond to Baytril. It's too bad you can't push for Clavamox.

Since I am having a hard time understanding, if you could explain what Hematuria is, and why Clavamox would help so I could email my vet explaining why I want to try Clavamox? I realize you explained it a bit above. Are there any links you could send me with info/experience etc.

Hematuria is not a disease or anything, it simply means blood in urine. I lost several rats to hematuria once. It was a horrible time in my colony. We finally were able to culture the bacteria and it turned out that Clavamox was a good drug of choice.
Your vet should already know that Clavamox is an excellent drug for any bladder infection. It's the drug of choice in cats and dogs too.

I got some Clavamox for Ed. She's had two doses so far. When should I see improvement?

I am really worried now. I finally was able to get her to pee, and she doesn't pee a lot at all anymore. 0.1cc or less. Here is a picture.

DSCN8443.jpg

Could this be kidney failure?
From the rat guide:
"Decreased urination may reflect dehydration or nephritis (inflammation within the kidneys). Hematuria (blood in urine) may also indicate kidney involvement or infestation of bladder threadworm. Suppression or absence of urine may indicate kidney failure."

When I was talking to my vet about trying Clavamox she also brought up trying Metacam to see if it's an inflammatory condition.

I had Luna who had a kidney removed but the only symptoms were just pain and loss of appetite, it almost looked like a PT. She also had panic attacks. Vet found kidney disease on ultrasound.

I can't afford to get her urine cultured. It's $172, and the vet fund is empty from Owls spay. I actually owe someone for lending me $50. My vet did test her urine with a dipstick? Which confirmed that she did have blood in her urine. I'm doing my best to earn money, but it doesn't add up very fast earning $10 a week. I'm beyond stressed, everyone is getting sick. :cry: I have a few things I'm planning to sell, so that should help a little. But not much.

Ask ypur vet to try the suggested combo of antibiotics since the clavamox is not helping.
Your vet needs to do something and may agree to try the new combo

Ed has had about 4 doses of Metronidazole with no improvement so far. She seems to be losing weight, and sleeping more. What should a diet be for kidney failure? It's worth trying just in case. Can I give her some ensure to try to keep her weight up? Would it not be a good idea if the problems her kidneys?

Back