The new Midwest Critter Nation cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an email from MidWest today, announcing that the CN would be available on Dec 5. There was a link and a .pdf file. I noticed some great news on the .pdf file: the cage does not require tools to assemble!! No more rusty bolts, yahoo! Now I really want one, so I'll have to take a good look at the links to find the price here in Canada.

It would be useful to have both. Keep the babies in the CN part until they're big enough, then open 'er up so they can use the FN part as well. Useful, since who knows when you'll get babies and whatnot... This way you don't have to be like "Oh fudge they have to live in a smaller cage until they can go in the FN" or whatever. Anyway that was the thought process in my mind.

Oooh.
I was originally planning of expanding with another Martin's R-680 to add to the one I already have,
and although I do like my Martin's...I am really liking this one. :nod:
I love the big doors for easy access and the larger shelf area and all the open space.
I could happily live in the double myself. :D
I definitely want it for my boys!

Funny. I was looking at cages on ferret.com b/c I wanted to look into the ferret nation everyone has been
talking about and then I saw the critter nation, so came here to ask what you guys think and there was a
whole thread already dedicated to it!
You guys are awesome...the boys are lucky I found you. :joy:

Meh. I've got boys soooo, for the price tag and the hassle involved in getting one shipped to Canada ... I think I'll just stick with my FN 142 for rat men/teenagers and the Martin's R695 for growin' up babies until they're ready to move into the "big boys" cage (not that I'm going to be getting more babies anytime soon :scolding:).

But I'm sure looking forward to some amazing deals on all those secondhand FN's that are going to be on the market soon! :giggle:

PiedPiper said:
But I'm sure looking forward to some amazing deals on all those secondhand FN's that are going to be on the market soon! :giggle:

no doubt! a friend of mine is retiring from rats for a while after her current group has passed on and then she's planning on selling a bunch of her cages. her grotto, her FN and MAYBE her martin's r-690. if i wasn't holding out for the CN i would jump on the FN she's selling, she's thinking $200 or best offer for it. the grotto she was talking about selling for $25, i don't know what she'll want for her martin's. she also has a few hagen guinea pig and i think a superpet that she's thinking about selling as well but i'm not sure.

Cait said:
*wonders*

Do you think if you had a one level FN, you could add the "add a level" Critter nation?

as for adding the two, i think there may be issues on attaching them. it would appear that the CN has a snap and fit assembly whereas the FN needs bolts and screws. making it sturdy may be an issue as there would not be a way to attach the two that securely. what i was THINKING of was putting a FN141 on the bottom and stacking a CN 162 on top and secure with those metal-locking fasteners that you use for dryer hose. it would only be a temporary thing as i wait for my numbers to go down enough to only need a CN162. but i'm not sure if i will be able to do that as the FN piece i would have to borrow from my friend. i will have talk with my friend about it some more. as she's selling it i don't know if she would be willing to let me try. but it should be ok to work out anyway. even if the CN is a bit smaller, the FN part being on the base should work out. like a bigger block holding up a couple smaller blocks.

The store I work at is having a special employee christmas shaopping day where we get 30% off anything-so a critter nation cage that costs 240 dollars will only 168 dollars! OMG! I am salvating just thinking about it.....I so hope we have them in stock or I will cry! :gaah: The antiscipation is going to kill me....I sooooo want this cage!

mercurydust said:
The store I work at is having a special employee christmas shaopping day where we get 30% off anything-so a critter nation cage that costs 240 dollars will only 168 dollars! OMG! I am salvating just thinking about it.....I so hope we have them in stock or I will cry! :gaah: The antiscipation is going to kill me....I sooooo want this cage!

Lucky Bum!! :rant: oh well...lol. I'm happy for you!!

I'd LOVE to get the CN, but as it is my girls are all big enough that they can't escape the FN. The rats I currently have are going to be my last ones for a while, so maybe in the future when I decide to have ratties again the price may have dropped a bit (I can hope!)

Yes, I noticed that! It's nice to know that one part of the economy is still booming.

(I have asked for this cage for a birthday present, which gives me loads of time to wait for the backorders to be filled :joy: )

mercurydust, I think that your boss should play Santa and give you a raincheck on your discount. You can tell him/her that the Forum voted and the result was unanimous! That's an amazing discount.

I so so so wish that were possible. Humph! I am just going to save up, try to sell my used terrarium and a few other things on graigslist....maybe by tax time.....I am just keeping my hopes up. Or trying to. the girls will be fine in ther cage the have now, mommy just wants to give them the best cage in the world. I might still go with the fiesty ferret cage, it's like a cheaper knock off of a ferret nation but with only one full door on one side of the cage. We shall see..... :crazzzy:

Does anyone else have a problem with getting rat block crumbs in between the grooves of the cage wall? (the area where the pan and the rims of the cage meet). I'm always having to scrub it down to a toothbrush and it makes the cage smell funny.

Anyone that is going to upgrade to the Critter Nation and has a Ferret Nation that they would like to sell/donate to my rescue. I'd love one. With all the vet bills, etc. I can't feasibly buy one until these little ones stop getting sick. That's what happens when they get old...

Back