The new Midwest Critter Nation cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its gorgeous...but think of all those cheap FN's being dumped for the CN :wink2:

Any idea on price, besides more expensive? The FN is about 229 in the US right now.

it's smaller then the FN? i thought it was supposed to be the same size but with better bar spacing?

having the bars horizontal instead of vertical is a great touch i think. i can't wait for it to be out for sale! i know its going to be a heavy number on my wallet but i've been waiting for this for so long... no more hardware mesh babah!! :joy:

I agree, pans would have been a critical improvement. It's nice, of course, but I wouldn't sell my FN to get this.

I'm very interested to see the pricing on this. I too have been waiting to see what the new critter nation would be like.

We have two cages like these:
http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=945

I posted pics of ours, in the cages section too. We LOVE our cages from Quality, but as you can tell, they are pretty pricey. I've actually been looking forward to the Critter Nation, as an option for our elderlies. I figured I can make two elderly type cages out of the critter nation (lowering or removing the ramps, but still having easy access to hospice patients etc), then switching it back to the higher shelves and such, for the younger ratties. I don't have the ability to move shelves around in our Quality. But we can section it off into three isolated areas if need be.

It looks to me like this one is the same size as the FN's but with the smaller bar spacing?? So I think it looks great. I do know that the smaller mesh is definitely more expensive. Our Quality cages have 1x1 spacing on it, so we always wait until our ratties are at least 4 months old, before moving them in. I had planned to get the 1/2x1 inch spacing the last time, but the cage would have been over $500. eek!

I don't see why everyone is hung up on pans. I think this is great, I am stoked, I hate my mesh covered FN. And I like using fleece with litter pans, so all the better.

The pans are not thick and well made like martins pans are.
And as you implied, they are quite shallow.

But it certainly looks like an improvement over the FN.
If I was going to buy a new cage, I would certainly buy it instead of an FN.

if the pans are the same as the FN then i'm even happier. when i was babysitting reachthestars rats for her, she brought over her bottom half of her FN for them to live in while here. i love the doubled over lip, it looks great for attaching fabric to with binder clips. and with how deep the flip is i could actually fold the clips over so it doesn't catch on the cage floor like my current pan does for my modified cat cage. i can see the pan being a pain if you would going to line the bottom in litter, but since i went fleece and litter pans, i'll never go back! it makes everything look so much cleaner and i don't waste nearly as much litter. i also find dumping small litter boxes a heck of a lot easier then dumping a large tray. so for me, i can't wait for it to hit shelves so i can have an idea on the prices. i'm hoping that ferret.com will get the critter nation in and that it will be the cheapest by a good degree like it was with the FN. driving down to maine might be a bot of a pain, but its not far and lugging the beast up 2 and half flights of stairs is likely to be a pain but that's why we keep boyfriends around eh!? :p i'm stoked for the new cage. getting rid of the mesh and the blood thirsty zip ties of doom will be worth it alone! :mrgreen:

Like I said I love it....and I want it. I won't be buying one now. My rats are all nice and big and so the FN works great for me.....but in the future, before I get babies...Oh yes I will have one or two of these.

Back