The new Midwest Critter Nation cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moon said:
Did you go to the hospital?

Well the ambulance, fire truck and RCMP all showed up with lights flashing and sirens going before the tow truck arrived. But I refused a trip to the hospital ... nothing was broken and I didn't want to be stuck miles away in the next city for hours in emergency ... how would I have gotten back to my car? I did go see a doctor and a physiotherapist the next day. I am now under the care of a physiotherapist and hoping the pain will soon start to improve.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes

Oh good... talking about pain after a car accident always scares me, even if there's no visible breaks or anything.

I like it! I'm glad that the bars are horizontal too vs vertical like in the FN. I plan to buy a 162 for my own 5 boys. Well, maybe I shouldn't because then I won't have an excuse anymore not to adopt a few more :laugh4:

I meant to ask... Has anybody ever tried Martins Pans in the cage? They have one that is the same size (24" x 36 " x 2.5" Dura Tray PAN-218) but it might be just too big to actually put it INSIDE of the FerretNation/CritterNation.

littledevils, I always have wondered the same thing. The only thing I can think is that the edges are silanted outward which may alter the actual dimenisions. I think martins offers to make customized anything, so that is something to look into.

I don't think martins can customize the size of their pans ...
It is the cages they are willing and able to customize to meet the wishes of pet owners.

but it would be wonderful if their pans would fit an FN :nod:

SQ said:
Yes, the closer horizontal bars plus the vertical bars reduce the space between bars so smaller rats will be unable to escape from this cage.
Thats good. Miss Greybo (6-7 months old) got out of the FN was was wandering around in the rat room. Keep in mind I have 6 cats also. Silly rat.
I also had one of my babes at the time, Piper was about 4 months old get out of my FF cage. I still have no idea how she did that. I came in from the grocery store and walked into the kitchen and she walked across my shoe. Cat was following her at the time. I put her back in the cage went out to get the last of the groceries and she was under the table with 2 cats stalking her. Rat had a death wish that day. She was trying to let me know the water bottle was empty. My kids need to learn to speak.

What a disappointment. I was hoping they would upgrade the pan, since it's not deep enough and the crumbs left by my rats eating their TK blocks get mushed on the sides of the cage. I have to constantly use a toothbrush to scrub them out.

Wow, it is finally here.. huh... when i seen it i was upset that i was soo excited this whole time when really there is not much difference even though I knew there wouldn't be.... i guess i just expected it to look a little bit more different
Anywho, does anyone know if this is for sale yet, if so where and how much, and if not, do you know when it will be on sale?
Thanks~
I am soo tired of scratching myself on that mesh wire!

virgo2882 said:
Anywho, does anyone know if this is for sale yet, if so where and how much, and if not, do you know when it will be on sale?
Thanks~
I am soo tired of scratching myself on that mesh wire!

i don't know if its on sale yet but the rumor is that it should be hitting shelves december 1st. i don't know where yet but i would assume the same people that are selling the FN will be selling the CN. we won't know a price for sure until then but my guess would be about $100 more then the FN. so i would guess price ranges to be between $250-400 where depending on the store you could find a FN for $150-300. but that is only a guessitmate.

and i can't wait to be rid of the evil mesh of doom either! :mrgreen:

This site is supposed to be selling the critter nation cage once it is available.
http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Midwest- ... W1243.html
They offer free shipping within the USA so ....... if you live in the states
or can have it sent to a mailing address in the states (I can let people know the address of a store things can be mailed to in Calasis Maine) .....

A picture of the cage to drool over ... tho this site does not offer free shipping :(
http://www.forhappydogs.com/p-148-critt ... t-162.aspx

I want one too ... but it is going to be a few years ....
maybe after I graduate and get a job :)
or if people start selling them second hand on kijiji in a year or so ....

the FN and the CN are supposed to have the same dimensions right? that means that i SHOULD be able to put a section of FN on top of the CN to accomadate a couple extra rats over the limit of 12 right? a friend of mine has a FN142 but she dismantled the top and doesn't use that anymore. so i might be able to borrow that from her to make the CN 162 a triple so that all my rats will fit while i am temporarily higher on my numbers. or do you need a 141 in order to attach to the top of a 142...? how do you make them into a triple anyway? do they just stack on top of each other or is there a certain order that you need to have?

I've compared dimensions and the CN appears to be a half inch narrower... but we will see when it comes out ;)

Pet Valu carries Midwest products, I've had my local Pet Valu order in a FN before, I bet they will be able to order in a CN. But I'm sure it will be very expensive for us Canadians. :(

Thats what I get so P***ed off about. You could simply get it in the US for like, $200 but then when you have it shipped it cost more than to buy it in stores! But I do plan on getting one for my new girls soon.

probably the same size as an FN dispite the dimensons given as (I think) they use the same pans etc.

Yes, hey just stack, your friend will have the 4 metal corner pieces needed, to add the 3rd section, twitch.

Back