The new Midwest Critter Nation cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lj said:
Anyone that is going to upgrade to the Critter Nation and has a Ferret Nation that they would like to sell/donate to my rescue. I'd love one. With all the vet bills, etc. I can't feasibly buy one until these little ones stop getting sick. That's what happens when they get old...

I'll definitely keep you in mind lj!!

Hey Guys...

Great forum you have here...

In my search for a good cage,, I came across the FN and now the CN..

Great Cages,, however I don't much care for the pan,, or should I Say Tray,, as they aren't Much of a pan...

I noticed some of you also don't like the trays in them...

What kind of interest would there be for Real pans,, say 2-3" deep ??

I work in the plastics industry as a manufacturer and have the ability to custom make pans in pretty much any size needed...

I've pretty much decided that I'm getting either the FN or the CN and I'm going to make a couple of pans for myself, and the lady at the pet store will also want some for her cages...

Just trying to Gauge if there is an actual need or interest in deep pans for these cages...

Thanks and look forward to your comments..

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Hi Eric. I would definitely be interested in the CN having deeper pans. I actually quit using mine for this reason. Although I really liked the CN overall, using fleece was just too costly & messy for me and bedding just does not work in the shallow trays. So I switched back to my Martin's for easier clean up/cleaner floor around the cage area. :)

Hey Casey and Smilez....

Well there we go..

I just found that thread about 5 mins before I got this reply...

Seems that somewhat solves the problem,, although I don't like metal trays much,, I guess it Would prevent them from chewing them.. LOL

I'd bet that if you took the dimensions to a sheet metal shop they could whip up a couple of those in short order pretty cheap...

Spray paint with Rustolum and you'd be all set...

Thanks and will look into these ones...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

I too have a CN, a dlb and would be interested in some deeper pans. I am not sure of the material of the ones offered by Flower Town. I don't think it is powder coated, plus they don't have one with the cut-out for the upper level. So it is not an ideal solution.

I think if you came up with some nice plastic ones at a reasonable price you would have a number of orders.

I know I am interested FOR SURE.

I am getting my rat early January so hurry and get that prototype done. I need some pans!! :lol:

Lisa :D

Normark said:
In my search for a good cage,, I came across the FN and now the CN..

Great Cages,, however I don't much care for the pan,, or should I Say Tray,, as they aren't Much of a pan...

I noticed some of you also don't like the trays in them...

What kind of interest would there be for Real pans,, say 2-3" deep ??

I work in the plastics industry as a manufacturer and have the ability to custom make pans in pretty much any size needed...

Just trying to Gauge if there is an actual need or interest in deep pans for these cages...

Thanks and look forward to your comments..

I would definately be interested in some PLASTIC trays, especially if you can figure out a way to have the cutout tray that works effectively. I don't like the thought of metal pans which is why I've shyed away from the FlowerTown Trays.

Im sure you would have no problem selling at least a few dozen plastic trays.

Hey Guys...

Ok.. I'm going to look into it...

What I will need from you Ratheads is Exact measurements for the CN and FN and I'll cost it out...
The measurements have to be taken from the inside where the pan will fit into.. When taking measurements,, keep in mind anything the would interfere with the pan sitting in there,,such as screws..

As far as the holes,, not a big deal at all...

I would simply cut out a round hole in the appropriate spot...
Depending on how this works I may even be able to add a tower/tunnel on the hole so the litter doesn't fall down ( just an idea right now)

If anyone is interested,, and this isn't meant to promote my site,, but more so that you can see exactly what is possible with today's plastics have a look here :

www.onscenetactical.com

As you can see the possibilities are endless...

The Trays will have folded sides, and the corners will be sealed with probably caulking or something like that.. ( Please let me know if you think that may be a problem...) Maybe they don't even need to be leak proof ???

All edges will be sanded so little ratties don't get hurt...

If anyone wants to contact me,, please drop me a note here:

[email protected]

Mods..

I apologize if this post goes against forum rules.. If it does I will Cease with this discussion..

Any problems,, feel free to contact me..

Eric
O/ST

I'M BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS!

I walked in the door from class and my CN was sitting at the door and I started squealing! The box was beat up so I knew SOMETHING had to be broken though.. they cracked my base pan. :cry3: I want to order a metal one from Flower Town anyway. They'll send me a replacement soon. I'll just sit the litterbox on top of the cracked corner.

I'm so proud, I knew my kids would have a CN as soon as I could afford it. :happydance: Oh Lindy.. I'll be needing some liners. :cheeky:

Mine CNs are delayed so I'll just have to share some of your excitement Cigar. :bunnydance: :happydance: :joy:
I would love to get some deeper palstic pans. :stickpoke: I can't wait to see what you come up with Normark.

Normark, if you were able to do the pans I can pretty much guarantee that you'd get lots of interest, especially if there was an economical way to get them to the states. There would need to be some sort of lip for the upper pan to keep litter in, but if you think you can make it work that would be so cool.

If you google Midwest scatter guards, you'll find what looks to be a promising new product from midwest for their critter and ferret nation cages. They're interlocking pieces that attach to your tray to form a 4 inch deep pan. I've been looking everywhere for something like this, so if I get these, I'll post and let you guys know how they are. They're pretty reasonably priced.. I've seen them anywhere from $15 to $25.. and they have an upper and lower level. The lower level has a cutout that you can use if you have the outside ramp..and the upper level has a cut out that matches the second level floor. I'm not sure what they're made of, though.. I'll have to do some more research.

Back