the fosters and Chop Suey-FINAL PICTURES!! woot! found them!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a beautiful name!! Being the mom of an avid Magic card player, I knew everything you were mentioning, fact, my son's member name on this forum is Ink-eyes Nezumi.

Huge congRATS to Deefar on those oh so beautiful agouti boys!!! :bunnydance:

Can more pictures of Boyo and Vandike be posted? I just love to see pics of them, they are just way too cute!! Also, can you give me some more information on them like what their diet consists of, their favorite foods/treats are and what they don't like. What would be good to help with getting them settled in? I just want to be as prepared as possible for their home coming arrival. I also would like information on the other ratties that I have adopted, the two girls from cage 2 lil Mama and girl 1 and the two boys from cage 16, boys 1&3. Thanks.

i can help you with what you ask about boyo and vandike but as all the others are still at clark's the information we have on them is what's already posted. with the exception of the boys in cage one and the other girls that share the cage with lilmama no one other then clark has experience with them. for those exceptions pm reachthestars as she was their foster mom when they were babies.

i will have to post pictures of boyo and vandike later. i don't know how to get them off my friend's camera :oops:

but as for what they eat now and what they like. they are currently eating president's choice first choice dog food as their staple. its the best i can provide for my rats and they all seem to do well with it. i've used it for years now.

i must admit to being out of a lot of groceries when they arrived so we haven't been able to try as many veggies so far. but boyo really likes stashing brocolli i'm not sure if he's eaten any of it but he likes hiding it. and ace likes finding it and eating it. vandike on the other just grabs and eats, no playing with his food!

haha chicken bones disappear VERY quickly. so i assume that's a fair good hit.

the smoothie i made for zen's medicine was BIG hit with everyone. the bowl was emptied in minutes and it was a big bowl! to make that i put in 1 can of calorie boosted strawberry ensure, 1 green banana (peeled) and 3 cored apples, then liquidized in the blender. tory probably really didn't need it, in fact everyone is good weight and probably didn't need the ensure mixed in there but its what i had so i used it. as it treat its not too bad.

apples don't last too long in the cage either. i cut them in 8ths and of course cut out the core.

banana flavored anything vandike LOVES!!! he snorfles down real bananas so fast that i've been worried he would choke so i mush them up and cut it with a pinch of hazelnut ensure to make it non-choke-able.

warmed winter veggies in sweet and sour sauce was a good hit with everyone too. boyo picked out all the brocolli and stashed it before tucking in. vandike just stayed by the bowl and ate. he seemed to go after the green beans first though.

as for foods they don't like? well you'll have to tell me if you can find something. i haven't been able to find anything they won't eat so far.

i hope to make some ratty cookies today. if they like them, as suspect they will, i will send a baggie of them up with them as well. i'm not sure if it will help them settle in but it can't hurt to have your own stash of cookies when going to a new home.

as you have read the thread i assume you have read that boyo is a bit on the jumpy and busy side. he still does not appreciate handling outside of the cage unless he comes to you and even then he'll jump if you touch his shoulders. inside the cage touching his shoulders and rubbing his head will get him hand wrestling. he'll run away then stare at you, then run back for more. i still haven't been able to get him to do this outside the cage. when i tried he just ran off and glared at me then continued to run off and explore. i'm working with him on it but it may be that that is just going to be the way he is until he gets older and settles down a bit.

vandike on the other hand is always up for a good cuddle. he'll back up a bit when you go to pat his head but likes it well enough once you are patting. he really likes being held and his back scratched though.

neither of them are too interested in taking snacks outside of the cage from your hand though. i suspect boy is too busy, and vandike probably just isn't used to it. keep offering, he'll get it. when i leave it on the bed long enough someone normally takes it.

oh! HAMMOCKS! hammocks are must. boyo likes the pocket ones best, if he doesn't have a pocket he'll make one out of a standard. vandike just sleeps on the top of the hammock. i have seen his butt stuck in the pocket a bit but for the most part he sleeps on top. neither one uses huts a whole lot but they are used some. boyo seems to like the hanging pot a fiar bit too. he has absolutely killed his feather mice and the jingle ball is still carried around a lot too. they are both getting pretty good about using the litter box too.

its bath day today too. so i will try to get some nice bath pictures for you.

Excellent information, thank you. Now there ages are Boyo 1.5 years and Vandike is 2 years old, is that correct? I would like to get both neutered but I think Vandike maybe getting too old, what do you think? My ratties here are veggie hogs. They love eating carrots, leafy greens(except iceburg) eggplant, squash, zuccini, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, parsnips, cucumbers, baked potatoes and a bunch of other veggies. Mine will devour bananas, apples, pears, strawberries, canalope and watermelon. A couple times w week they will get non sugar health cereals and for special treat they get oatmeal, hard boil/scrambled eggs, beef, chicken, tuna, tofu, cottage cheese to name a few. They love cottage cheese so much that my girls just about roll in it. Baby cereal is a big hit here, they love 'em all. When I mix up the baby food, I add some flaxseed oil or fish oil to it. It really helps their skin and coat. I will be tapping my fingers waiting for bath pictures........tap tap tap.......

the ages are approximate but from the feel of them and how they carry themselves. i would say boyo is between 8-12, closer to 8 months. and vandike is probably between 1.5-2 years. he has been sick though so he may have been acting a bit older then he really is. i would boyo would be just fine for a neuter. and so long as vandike is cleared up breathing wise i think he would be ok too. they are both of good weight other then vandike's current illness is otherwise healthy. and van is responding very well to his medication.

i'm sure they can't wait to get to you. it looks like they are going to have a very wonderful mommy and family to dote on them and spoil them rotten, just as they deserve. i'm so happy they found their family with you.

jack is here! this keltika's boy she wanted neutered. there was a bit of cuffubble this morning in getting him here but here he is. he's a greasy and stiny boy though and so is going for a bath before going in the cage i have set up for him. he goes in for his neuter tomorrow morning at 10:30. he should be home in time for supper.

pictures of bath time to come tonight! :thumbup:

jack update: bathed and aggression tested. nice clean non-aggressive rat here. he was reported as being highly aggressive but i wanted to see how bad that was myself. so after the bath a put jack and ace on the couch. some sniffing and grooming happened. no sidling or trying to be big on jack's side. when ace decided to do a power groom to show jack that he was the boss, jack immediately submitted. so i tried him in the cage with others, squirt bottle, towel and open doors all ready to break anything up. jack was defensive, and got big if someone else got big first, he stood up if someone else did first, he would butt push back. but not once did he start any of it. there may be some issues with proper integration where he doesn't seem to want to back down, but it won't be impossible as he is not the one to start any of it.

as far as him and humans are concerned he has NO FEAR and enjoys our company. i have already put him to sleep by rubbing the top of his head. he really seems to like that. he's a scruffy looking fellow with all those stray hairs and scratches but he's a sweety for sure.

zen update: there are breathing sounds now but he seems to be awake for longer periods and wants to explore a bit before he settles for his nap. he just seems more interested in what is going on in general. so i'm not sure if this is good or not. there were no sounds before but he was much more tired before too. are the sounds a sign of his congestion loosening up? or is he getting worse?

updates over, its picture time!

first up, the new foster, jack.
before the bath (this boy is very active too. it was excessively hard to get a good a picture!)
100_0951.jpg

100_0948.jpg

100_0957.jpg

100_0975.jpg

100_0976.jpg

100_0980.jpg

hi mom! i'm coming home soon right?
100_0981.jpg

during bath time. he didn't mind the water too much either, was more interested in looking around.
100_0982.jpg

100_0984.jpg

after bath time
don't look! i feel all nakid without my layer of dirt!
100_0991.jpg

WRINKLES!! hahaha
100_0993.jpg

i said DON'T look!
100_0996.jpg

clean bum and tail! :mrgreen:
100_0998.jpg

now, as requested, vandike and boyo! before bath
100_0999.jpg

100_1001.jpg

this was a really cute until boyo moved... (the black rat is my magi)
100_1006.jpg

more boyo
100_1009.jpg

and a got a couple of tory before the bath too. he still denies his weight problem...
100_1011.jpg

but its hard to hide...
100_1013.jpg

bathtime for the rest of the fosters!
100_1022.jpg

boyo felt he should not be included... :roll:
100_1019.jpg

he was not impressed with the towel down...
100_1030.jpg

"look mom. i got all clean just for you. now take me home before the crazy lady make me wash again! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease......"
100_1026.jpg

zen was even less impressed with the bath but true to zen nature he put up with all with just a look
100_1039.jpg

vandike getting washed
100_1047.jpg

and posing for his poof after photo!
100_1052.jpg

ace misses his old smell...
100_1056.jpg

tory is trying to warn the cameralady not to get his fat...
100_1058.jpg

finally some new ones of my chop suey because he has big eyes and big ears and long whiskers and its all too cute to pass up showing off when he wet!
100_1063.jpg

"mom? i'm done now right...? right?"
100_1062.jpg

"OH! towel rubs!! :D "
100_1065.jpg

"ooooh... towel rubs do this... :? "
100_1068.jpg

now finally, just a couple cute ones of serraphim. she's happy to be home.
"this is all mine!?!???"
100_0883.jpg

"all of it...?"
100_0878.jpg

"i love you mom!"
100_0879.jpg

Love those photos!! You guys are naturals with the camera. They all look so pathetic in the bathtub :lol:

And dear little Serraphim :heart: ... you must be so glad you kept her!

So, Twitch.. The girls and I were talking, and we've agreed that we will be more than happy to deck your fancy cat cage out in exchange for a Tory, a Chop Suey, and a Serraphim..

They're all so adorable, and I love bath pics!

That's my boy Jack!!! :joy:
Raven, he looks sooo much better after the bath - thanks.

Those are some mighty fine wet rats you have there! Absolutely beautiful, all of them!
You know, if Vandyke accidently some how got into Jack's cage and came home with him....... :cheeky:

Jack sweety, have a safe and successful surgery tomorrow. Momma will be thinking about you all day! Just a couple more weeks and you will be home!

Have fun playing and learning to be a good boy at Aunt Twitch's!

Thanks so much for the photo shoot, they are just way too cute. I can't wait for Vandyke and Boyo to be home with me. If Tory wants to come along, for the ride that is.... :cheeky: What kind of shampoo do you use?

thank you everyone for your kind comments. unfortunately everyone asked to trade for already has homes! :lol:i thinkthere mommys would be a little upset if i started trading rats around. but you can certianly ask them! :lol2:

as for the type of shampoo i use for the rats its johnson's baby shampoo. works pretty well i fine. i have a soft bristled toothbrush to help with stubborn spots and tails.

mostly everyone put up with the bath fairly well. though there were plenty of complaints from everyone anyway. they are all clean now and for the next few days i get to not feel woozy around them.

jack update: just got back from the vet. jack is all set up. should be getting done with his surgery this afternoon. and home by 5. i will update with more as soon as i have more.

i also took magi and bribery in to get looked at, please see their thread the wilson boys drama and serraphim for more information.

just got a call from the vet. jack has made it through surgery fine and is doing great. i can pick him up at 4. erika you can breathe now.

jack is back and doing well. i have funny stores to share, but i have to run right now. i will share them tonight after i get the kid to bed.

Back