the fosters and Chop Suey-FINAL PICTURES!! woot! found them!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so excited....I wish I could take the others as....but two is all I can add.
I couldn't resist those faces...showed them to my hubby and told him they weren't going to be able to go on the "train" and he said we could bring them here. I promise I will give them lots of love.. :heart: :heart: ...I hope they don't miss there friends to much and that someone else close by can take them in.......they all look like real sweeties.
Thank you for letting me adopt them.....

thank you for taking them. i was concerned i would not be able to find them good homes close enough. i already told them the good news about having a mommy waiting for them the minute i had the chance. they didn't really seem to grasp the concept but were happy enough to accept the hugs and kisses i gave them for finding such a wonderful home.

thankfully though, vandike and boyo will be ok for the train by the time the train leaves. there really is less breathing sounds coming from van so i think this med is really going to work out well for him. and boyo is improving by leaps and bounds everyday with his socialization.

there is concern for zen on making the train though. we have to get this heart condition sorted out first. he will be getting his first dose of lasix shortly, within 24 hours that will at least tell us something. then friday he will be going back in for a check up and we will go from there. he is such a dear boy, i hope he pulls through this. once we have it figured out we will be able to determine if he is ok for the train or not.

just got home and settled after going to pick up mocha (the head tilt girl) for godmother. she will be our sponsered foster until she gets better. she's very attentive and alert and VERY affectionate. the only concern i have for myslef when dealing with her is that she may just lick all the skin from my fingers! :lol2: she is very sweet. we have pictures and a video of her that is loading onto the comp. expect them up tonight. her vet appointment is for this friday.

zen update: there isn't really any improvement with the lasix. he's still a very sleepy, fast breathing boy. it has not been quite 24 hours but my understanding of lasix is that we should have seen a marked improvement by now. this is very concerning.

twitch said:
just got home and settled after going to pick up mocha (the head tilt girl) for godmother. she will be our sponsered foster until she gets better. she's very attentive and alert and VERY affectionate. the only concern i have for myslef when dealing with her is that she may just lick all the skin from my fingers! :lol2: she is very sweet. we have pictures and a video of her that is loading onto the comp. expect them up tonight. her vet appointment is for this friday.

zen update: there isn't really any improvement with the lasix. he's still a very sleepy, fast breathing boy. it has not been quite 24 hours but my understanding of lasix is that we should have seen a marked improvement by now. this is very concerning.

Did your vet try enalapril (vasotec) or benezapril (fortekor)? These are specifically for the heart...lasix is only a diuretic.

Really looking forward to meeting Godmother's licky new lady!

she will have those for me to try on friday, i believe it was enalapril that was mentioned specifically. it was part of the reason she didn't charge on tuesday as she wasn't as prepared as she shuold have been. however, if it was a congestive heart condition it was my understanding from what i have read on the issue that the diuretic should have been helpful and i should have seen improvement by now. i understnad there are many other reasons a heart may not be up to shape though, plan bad genetics as a very possible one, so i am still hopeful that the other medicines will work for him. it was disappointing that the lasix did not though.

From what I am learning, its best to do the diagnostic with both, the enalapril (Beni is on it) helps the heart to beat stronger, it is the true heart med. Plus it took a few days for it to really show an improvement I was happy with.

sorry for the delay. i fell asleep last night rather early and didn't get a chance to post the pictures and video of mocha. but here it is now!

video:
the little hairless is my sweetipie and mocha's nursemaid for the duration of her stay.

and some pictures!
100_0865.jpg

100_0861.jpg

100_0862.jpg

100_0864.jpg

i had to reschedule her vet appointment. mocha and zen will be going to see the vet saturday morning at 9:15

Lasix is great stuff and is very fast acting. It will get rid of fluids where its not supposed to be fairly quickly. I have a Guinea pig that was diagnosed with a level 3-4 heart murmur and she gets a build up of fluids around her heart in the chest cavity. When the fluid builds, I give her a dose of Lasix and within 15-20 minutes later she is breathing normally. Lasix will also cause dehydration so you will need to make sure that the patient is drinking plenty of water. Pedialyte is good to give, it helps balance out their electrolytes that can get out of whack from the Lasix if long term. Lasix should be stored at room temperature away from light and must be discarded/replaced every 90 days(3 months). I sure hope Zen gets better soon. Has he had any x-rays to see if his heart is enlarged?

the vet we're using is very low tech so no x-rays. the lasix hasn't done anything for him but i think i may have screwed up. i thought i was being smart and dosed a smoothie in cubes in an ice cube tray then froze. you know for easy storage and to make it easier for me administer... that's certainly not room temperature... i'll have to get more and try again. this time without the freezing.

however it is still time to CELEBRATE!!!! :happydance:

we just got back from the vet. she is donating her time so all i pay is meds. which is great, so no charge again today. but that's not the great news. zen has also been on penicillin. last time he was there she listened to his chest and said it was congested so on top of the lasix put him on the penicillin that vandike is improving on. today she listened again and said there was GREAT improvement!! we may not be dealing with a heart condition at all people! :happydance: it may just have been a stubborn bacterial infection for the last 6 months of the little dear's life! i still haven't noticed a change in his activity level or breathing speed but she says she hears a great difference in change when she listened with her stethoscope. :joy:

however, in zen's current condition, even with the marked improvement, the vet recommends he does not take any long distance travel and further recommends that until this is cleared up much better and his activity levels go up that he travel as little as possible. this means he will not be able to make the train and until he gets better he is not currently adoptable. once he is better the train will have left and so he will need to be adopted within the maritimes. he can still be reserved but i will not release him from my care until he is better.

so a bit of bitter news for zen but still on the whole great news for his condition! :bunnydance: i know his chances for adoption is lower now but i can't help but be happy for his prognosis.

now here's some more great news!
mocha update: she went into the vet as well to get checked and has received a clean bill of health! :happydance: the head tilt that remains is permanent damage but she is otherwise a healthy happy rat and ready to go to her new home! godmother she is all yours now, anytime you want her home.

I am crying at all this wonderful news!!!

I am glad little Zen (who reminds me soo much of Bagel) may just have a persistent previously untreated bacterial infection..there is real hope for the lovely little man!! :heart: :heart:
And Mocha...I need to get up and jump up and down!!! :joy: She and Milo are the luckiest ratties, soon to be going home!!

Back