the fosters and Chop Suey-FINAL PICTURES!! woot! found them!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

yesterday i went up to clark's and got the older fosters from him. they are still up for adoption though some will not be fit for the train into ontario and beyond and will need to be adopted locally. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we brought home Zen (formerly known as Q-Ball) who is a very sweet very laid back rat who likes to sleep a lot. this may be a result from his suspected heart condition but for now that his who he is. my Chop Suey follows him around a lot too and is often seen napping with him. they seem to get along really well with each other. though for zen, he's so laid back its hard for him not to get along with everyone. he has his vet appointment for june 3 to verify the heart condition and to get him started on his medication. we're hoping that once he gets into the meds he will ok for a long distance travel but we will get that double checked by the vet just to make sure if there is an interest in up north way. if it weren't for his heart condition causing him great risk and if i had more money i would have him neutered and keep him myself. he is just such a doll.

we also brought home Boyo (formerly known as boy 1 in cage 12) who is a bit skitty still but we are working on his handling. he is very adventurous though and wants to know where everything is and what everything is. he doesn't seem to have a favorite rat in the cage and bounces between whoever is sleeping where he wants to be. he does try to play with chop suey and tried once to play with ace. chop suey will play a little bit and ace put boyo in his place so boyo hasn't tried again. he LOVED tearing apart the feather mice and will carry the jingle ball around when everyone is sleeping and he wants to play. the more i get to know him the more i'm convinced that he is younger then previously thought. i would peg his age as really closer to 8-12 months rather then 2 years.

we also brought home Vandike (previously known as boy 2 in cage 12). he's a lover boy. he's curious during out time but not greatly adventurous, he rather follows where the other rats have gone before or watches from your lap while grooming your hand. he has a pointy little nose and great big cheeks that i find very "distinctive" (read funny as all heck!). he is currently on baytril for myco flare/resp infection and will be seeing the vet on saturday morning to make sure he's on track and to see if a doxy combo would be useful. he acts and feels like an older fella and i would peg his age somewhere between 1.5-2years.

we also brought home Notorious who is closing on 3 years and is a very large boy. other then his size he is healthy though. he's a bit on the lazy side and stubborn when it comes to getting him out of his comfy spot. he was housed with ace before and you can still see the two of them hanging out a lot but i also find him with vandike a lot as well. he is very gentle with zen but climbs over and sits on just about everyone else that is in his way of where he wants to be.

we also brought home ace. he is 3+ years and though active and a HUUUUUUUUUUGE sook he does walk and feel like an oldie. he is certainly the boss though and after a brief spat late last night/early this morning with boyo everything has been calm and quiet. during out time he wants to know where everyone is and if someone else is getting attention he'll get inbetween to demand the scritches or photo op for himself! :lol2: he will hang out with notorious a lot but i have seen him cuddled up with everyone else at some point as well. he is an attention hog though and so far, no matter how comfy he looks, if open the door he is there to get his lovings.

finally we also brought home my Chop Suey (formerly known as napoleon). he's pretty easy going but i sense he's still a bit nervous about everything that has been happening for him the last few days. he seems to be getting attached to quiet zen but he will play with boyo. during out time he will take a cursorary look around then settle for a nap with zen. when he gets bored with that he finds someone's lap to be cuddled in. i think i have quite the lap rat in this big eared fool. he will be going tomorrow morning for his neuter and we should have him home in time for supper. he'll be sore but one step closer to being in with 8 girlie harrem!

oh and we got a weight on everyone!
Notorious weighs in at a whopping 2lbs.
Vandike is a respectable 1lbs 5 ounces
Ace is in at a nice weight of 1lbs 3 ounces
Zen is a decent 1lbs 4 ounces
Boyo is the same weight as my bribery at a nice 1lbs 2 ounces
and Chop Suey (with his goolies still included) weighs the same as boyo at 1lbs 2 ounces
all of them look bigger then what they really are but do all weigh in (with the exception of notorious) at a fair and healthy weight.

riana was over today and she took some wonderful pictures of everyone. once i can get my computer to cooperate with me i will be adding pictures. i will also keep everyone updated on zen and vandike's condition and chop suey's neuter here.

I still can't friggin' believe how big Notorious is! He's huuuge! I started to fall in love with Ace, though, and Boyo. They were real sweeties. I really hope some nice people come forth and make nice homes for these sweeties!

they sure will jorats! i'm falling in love myself though they make me woozy. really if they were safe to neuter and i could find the money to do it and care for them after i would keep the little furballs. unfortunately none of that is possible so the best i can do is find them good homes.

Chop Suey update: he had his surgery yesterday. i took notorious in with him to keep him company. notorious was so concerned for little chop suey that when they went to put chop suey back in after the operation notorious bit the vet tech! :shock: once chop suey started to come around notorious was giving kisses and trying to climb out of the cage for cuddles instead though. he's a big lug that was just looking out for his little man! :heart: chop suey is doing fine, and though a little sore is otherwise back to normal. he's eating and drinking fine, but is loathe to leave his hammock... :D

Vandike update: i took vandike to the vet today to see what she recommended for medication. to me the baytril wasn't having much effect and was expecting him to go on a doxy combo. well dr alexander had done some research and prescribed penicillin instead. she expects him to start clearing up within only a few days! :joy: which is really good, he was sounding pretty bad last night and this morning. he was diagnosed with pneumonia but like i said the vet is fairly confident of this medication. he is on it 3x day and its banana flavored so i think that will go over fairly well.

of course though, just before going to the vet he and boyo had to have a stand off over who got to go in the red hut with notorious and received a scratch on the nose for his efforts. as it was fresh it looked bad and that did not leave a good impression with the vet. she was concerned that they were too aggressive with each other and should be separated. my opinion is that i need to trim some nails... this vet seems pretty good with meds but when it comes to behaviour... yeah... i think i'm going to go with my experience over hers. but for what she is willing to do for these guys i'm ok with bringing them in for medications. and the damage for a nearly 20 minute office call with meds and with tax was $28.25. cheapest vet bill i ever had! :thumbsup: :lol2:

Zen update: zen has his appointment on the 3rd. so far he's still a sleepy boy but other then that he seems ok. i still suspect it is a heart condition and am hopeful that he will respond to medication.

Boyo update: still not sure about being picked up but will let you touch him and pat him inside the cage with only a mild initial jump instead of running. i have to give credit to my boyfriend for this. he has been very patient with boyo and very gentle. he's been working with boyo a lot over the last few days, just sitting in front of the cage, talking and patting. i've tried some too but with everyone else needing what they need and my limited ability for exposure to these guys i have not had as much time as i would like to work with boyo but the boyfriend is doing a wonderful job with him. i suspect that if this keeps up and boyo keeps continuing to respond as quickly we will have a confident boyo well in time when the train is ready to leave.

foster care update: the people i had asked ahead of time to be fosters have backed out. one is looking for a lone rat to adopt however and was wondering about neublus/anubus. i have sent her an email with the proper links so we should expect her application soon. i still have some more tricks up my sleeve though and am confident that i can find appropriate fosters for these boys. in the mean time i'll love them and care for them and feel woozy but love them all the same. with my boyfriends help we should be ok.

The boys sounded very bonded.
I had to laugh at your vet's concern over a small scratch. It's just not the same with bigger animals and too many times, vets will relate it to their experience with dogs and cats.
That's sad that your fosters backed out. Take it one day at a time...

well of course! :joy:

without further ado let me present the foster boys and chop suey!

sleepy zen would like nothing more then a mom or dad's lap to have a nap in
100_2611.jpg

but for now zen's smiling and happy with some squishy oldies to use as his pillows and blankets
100_2605.jpg

"picture time over? ok, i'm going back to sleep now... zzzz..."
100_2604.jpg

chop suey agrees, "nap time now and zen makes a pretty good butt pillow too..."
100_2580.jpg

chop suey says: "big rats make make excellent blanket!"
100_2588.jpg

vandike: "everyone is so sleepy... yaaaawn! and its catching!"
100_2574.jpg

vandike: "what? if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"
notorious: "stop wif te fwashy...sweepy...."
100_2597.jpg

notorious: "i'm not fat! is my beach ball impersonation is all..."
100_2601-1.jpg

ace: "mmm, nap does sound good..."
100_2570.jpg

boyo: "whaaaaaat! why is everyone sleeping!?"
100_2610.jpg

boyo: "there's so much to do! have you smelled all those smells??"
100_2606-2.jpg

boyo: "have you SEEN this SHELF!?!? it has HOLES in it!"
IMG_2456.jpg

boyo: "oi maaaan van! why'd you pee on MY mit...?"
IMG_2458.jpg

vandike: "hehe! and i hid your feather mouse in there too before i did!"
100_2615.jpg

notorious: "this is my impersonation of a proper sized pancake, i'm still not fat! ...mmm...pancake.... *drool*"
100_2594.jpg

notorious: CHOP SUEY! HELP! HIDE ME! the crazy woman with the flashy thing is trying to make me look fat and i'm running out of impersonations!"
100_2590.jpg

ace: "hehe... give it up notorious, you're a fat fat man, you should be old enough to admit that by now..."
100_2587.jpg

notorious: "i am not fat! they just don't make pants my size so i made my own. i'm industrious!"
100_2571.jpg

ace: "well look, fine. maybe if we ignore her she'll go away and you can live in your denial in peace"
100_2577.jpg

notorious: "i don't think its working ace..."
100_2583.jpg

ace: "well fine. new plan. VANDIKE! distract the flashy lady while notorious tries to hide himself! *snicker*"
100_2579.jpg

vandike: "on it boss! hey lady! look at my cute!"
100_2592.jpg

vandike: "and here i'll even model our hut for you!
IMG_2439.jpg

vandike: "and here! nothing cuter then a rat eating! nomnom"
IMG_2457.jpg

photographer: "muahaha! monorail rat!"
IMG_2442.jpg

vandike: "BOSS! i have failed at the distraction! i'll hide notorious instead!"
100_2586.jpg

ace: "*sigh* you're too small van..."
vandike: "oh nooooes...."
100_2585.jpg

chop suey: "would you guys give it a break! it one o'clock in the afternoon! these crazy humans can stay up all day long and sleep all night but I AM TIRED! boyo ran me ragged, he wanted to play all night long...mmm comfy zen butt..."
100_2581.jpg

Holy smokes... now there's a bunch of absolute beauties!!!
Look at all that agoutiness! and black and white... I'm so in love!
Great captions, matches their characters!!

:laugh4: Those captions are amazing! But I'm not a crazy lady with the flashy thing.. o_o Ok.. maybe I am.... But they were just so photogenic! I couldn't stop taking pictures! There were 78 pictures taken of just the fosters and Chop Suey in all!

I'm in love with Ace.. *siigh*

boyo update- he hand wrestles!!! :happydance: hahaha! its a riot too. i had him running from the bottom of the cage to the top and back again. oh he was a funny boy. magic wasn't to pleased with all the hub-bub and after the 2nd time that boyo bounced on his head on the way magic decided he had had enough and kept tryng to pnin boyo against the cage wall. then magic realized someone was there playing and it was a shove and push battle on who got to my hand first for the attentions. magic didn't want to hand wrestle but he did want all the sctritches to himself!

boyo is getting more and more confident as the time goes by. he is the only one that comes out of the cage on his own so far. he's still jumpy when you put your hand on his back but likes butt rubs. pretty much anything below the shoulders is ok to touch now. so far he is only interested in hand wrestling inside the cage but that is improvement! :mrgreen:

we also have a dead sleeper on uor hands with boyo. after out time yesterday he curled up on the upper level and slept. i opened the door and there was no reaction. i PETTED him, even on the forbidden shoulders, and no reaction. if it wasn't that he was visably dreaming (mouth was going and an occasional twitch of a paw) and i would have thought the worse. instead i got pictures! they are currently uploading so you can expect them soon. i just couldn't wait to tell everyone about boyo's wonderful progress.

he's going to make some new parent very happy. this boy is full of laughs! :lol: :bunnydance:

zen update- he goes to the vet this afternoon, expect an update shortly thereafter on what the vet says about his condition.

vandike update-seems to be starting to clear up, i think.... he doesn't seem as noisy all the time but he's still got breathing sounds. he is on a 10 day dose at 3x/day and its only day 3 but the vet was leading me to believe that he may have completely cleared up well before even 5 days were up... i guess its a bit harder in there and there was a reason she gave me the 10 day dose after all. i don't know, i think i may have been expecting too much from the medicine. it does seem to be helping some though, i think.

they are so wonderful to have here. we've been extra stringent with their cleaning and that seems to help my allergies but its there enough to remind me that i cannot keep these beautiful boys to myself. it will be sad to see them go but knowing that they will have loving and dotting parents to spoil them warms my heart. now its just a matter of finding those parents. to my knowledge no one has showed any firm interest in any of these marvelous boys. i know it will be hard finding a good mommy or daddy in the maritimes for ace and notorious too. there just isn't that many good rat parents in this area that would be interested in adopting boys that old. i just hope that zen will respond well to his meds and be able to make the train. boyo and vandike certainly will be able to board it though.

anyway, as promised, sleepy boyo pictures!
100_0835.jpg

100_0836.jpg

and some of the others just because they are so cute!
i put ace in the bunched up hammock to make a cuddle tent thing... he does not look impressed and yet he stayed there for over an hour..
100_0838.jpg

100_0839.jpg

"don't you want me in your arms?"
100_0720.jpg

"oh no! look out, she brought home ANOTHER one..."
100_0719.jpg

zen: "i don't know boyo, he's nice and squishy. i approve"
100_0737.jpg

"you know you want me..."
100_0748.jpg

"see i give kisses!"
100_0753.jpg

zen: "who's the new guy chop?"
chop suey: "i don't know, but he's big and squishing me! moooooooooooom...!"
100_0770.jpg

vandike: "look at my cute!"
notorious: "thinking thin...thinking thin"
100_0767.jpg

Vandike: "oh yes.... sooooooooo thin... :roll:"
100_0769.jpg

notorious: "and what do you mean by that!?!?? i am to thin! look at me! i'm wasting away i'm so thin! its all in the mind you know... :cheeky:"
100_0768.jpg

boyo: "did someone say PLAY!?!?!!??"
100_0765.jpg

magic: 'what is wrong with you?"
boyo: *sulks* "no one wants to plaaaaaaaaay...."
100_0758.jpg

the gentle giant and sleeping beauty
100_0704.jpg

best buds
100_0707.jpg

zen update- he went to the vet today. we came back with no charge because the vet felt bad about having to make me cut up a 40mg pill of lasix into 20 equal parts. she is concerned that it is not a heart condition though and has promised to do more research to help figure this out. she was certainly concerned with the lethargy. but was confused that there was no discoloration on the tongue, tail, toes or ears when he had gotten excited and scared at the vet.

she is also getting enlaphl to try on zen if the lasix has an effect as it is more concerned with the heart rather then wider spread like the lasix is. the lasix is a diruretic of course and that will take the congestion from the entire body. so if there is a problem with another organ with congestion (such as the lungs) that will clear that up too.

he is also to join vandike on the pencillian as she did hear a bit of a crackle in the lungs. not enough to be causing the lethargy though.

so lasix 2x/day crushed in banana mush (i'm freezing dosed cubes) and banana flavored penicillian 3x/day. then he's to return to the vet for a check up on friday.

hopefully zen is not another rosie in the making. to my knowledge he's never been straved so i am hoping he doesn't have multiple organ damage or pulmonary abcesses. as horrible as it would be for it to be his heart i find myself hoping that it is. rosie was never tired like zen is all the time until her final week and by then she was much too thin and zen is standing at 520g which is a great weight for the boy. he is so sweet. i just hope he will be ok and able to live a long happy life.

:bunnydance: ace and notorious have been adopted by dahlas. they will be making the trip to their new home on friday. i'm going to miss those lugs but i am very happy that they have found a wonderful mommy. congratulations dahlas on your new boys!! :happydance:

Back