Sterling's Rescue Doors *Open*!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a new little rat babe tonight. She was a store return from a customer (for those of you who don't know I work at a Petsmart) she was returned with her sister who was shy and they were fighting. As soon as I saw this baby I knew she needed TLC. My pet care manager 'T' took her to the vet today because I was sure she either had an inner ear infection or this girl had sustained trauma. I will post a video as soon as photobucket is done uploading. The vet said there isn't sign of illnesa but definitely some kind of neurological damage :eek: they were with a family with 2 mid aged (7-10yr old) children. I have a feeling this girl was panic dropped or thrown. And the sister rat could sense something and outcast her.
I am calling her Taffy right now...but may change. She's so pretty!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I love her! She likes scritches already just not a fan of being picked up right now. But I don't blame her!

Way off. And she never seems to be able to walk straight. She's super outgoing that is for sure. Very sweet and you can pet her. Just spastic movements
Edit: already Daddy's girl :) he calls her pretty girl...he says she needs a prettier name then Taffy..lol

I just rescued a girl like that. I am treating her for an inner ear infection in case that is the problem, but after 2.5 weeks there are no signs of resolution so I think it is permanent. They seem to get along just fine anyway, eh?

She has figured out treats and that Daddy makes the best treats! Daddy has called her Smoosh...She's so cute you wanna smoosh her lol

What a little love. It's so awesome to hear from pet stores who do the right thing, we usually only hear negative things about pet stores.
That makes a lot of sense that something happened like a drop on the head or something that could have caused her to become unstable and wobbly. I have a friend with a rat like that. I'll write to her and tell her what your vet concluded.

She's a special girl. And the family who returned her will be refused anymore pets from us. This was physical abuse!

Edit: I aim to help run Petsmart as just that Smart about Pets and clearly these people were not smart about their choice. I guess they were in looking and my coworker told them they should maybe try a guinea pig as anything else is smaller and faster and their statement was...as quoted directly from her verbatim what they said "oh no, they last too long" ummm what the $&#*!?!?! Not even close to something an animal lover would say or be ok with hearing...5-8 yrs is too long a committment for this family!? And that came out of their 10 yr old daughters mouth! Which you know one of the parents has said! Never...NEVER selling this family an animal!!
We suggested maybe they aren't ready for a pet...I wanted to suggest a pet rock! Lol
Ugh sorry for my angry rant but if anyone can identify with how upset I was, its you guys....my rat loving family!!!

Smoosh is such a special Smart girl...already 99% using her potty after 4 days and I haven't been pushing the idea she just does it!
They missed out on an amazing companion!
As well and Update! Her sister was adopted out friday as well to live with another family who has 3-4 others and I know she will be happy there and well taken care of and loved even for her shy nature!

I talked to my friend and she said that her rat's previous owner says he had an inner ear infection, he was treated for it but remained unsteady and wobbly.

My coworker said she's heard of this being a developed problem. She's worked with animals her whole life and said its normal. I questioned it because I've got 12 rats now and if its so common how come none of my other rats have anything like it? Anyone else know of a developmental version of this head tilt/wobble balance problem? That was not caused by inner ear or trauma? I told her the ones she's seen prob had inner ear infections that got overlooked.

So the local SPCA called me today...and now I have two wobbly girls. I'm 'fostering' until either Saturday when she becomes a ward of the society (ie mine) or before if someone claims her which I do not think will happen. Weird story...a woman dropped her and a dog off saying it was her daughters who was away at college and never came home to take care of them and the mom refused to care for them. ..clearly, they were both so skinny, anyway if the daughter comes with legitimate cause they may release her back...I think NOT! She's wobblier then Smoosh. She looks old, skinny, sick. She was in a small bird cage with urine soaked pine shavings and no food, her 'bed' was covered with pee and shavings. I moved her into one of my extra one story cages. She's outgoing and gentle. Very sweet and a pretty silver and white colour
eny5e8yq.jpg

Yes thats seed mix, I gave her lots of food. She can use the calories right now. There is Oxbow Young Rat food block as well. Higher fat for her!
ygutahu3.jpg

And a pic of Smoosh our pretty girl!
nequgadu.jpg

Thank You! They are both very sweet!
And both Daddy's girls already.
Butter Tart as Kevin calls her (the foster rat) has not stopped eating all day the poor thing was starving. She stops for a nap every half hr or so but only sleeps a short while and then is back to eating...:(

SterlingRats0408 said:
Butter Tart as Kevin calls her (the foster rat) has not stopped eating all day the poor thing was starving. She stops for a nap every half hr or so but only sleeps a short while and then is back to eating...:(
It's sad that she's like that, but wonderful that she has a good appetite. To me that shows hope that she may regain her vitality once she has some groceries under her belt. :thumbup:
Fruits like avocado are healthy and have lots of calories too - try her out on some yummy stuff. She's probably had a crappy, boring diet.
Lucky girlies to have found you! :D

I had one rat with a tilt from an ear infection and it never cleared up. One with a tilt and I blamed a ear infection but she died strangely and I questioned it after her death. but since I didnt see her death we only found her I couldnt say for sure. We always go for ear infection with tilts since it is the major cause. either of mine ever lost their head tilt. For most it could be a speculation since rarely will testing be done to rule out a lot of others. But rats are pretty cut and dry. It is usually always the same things they get. Rarely do we se something that is so odd that was never seen before or cause by something else. That is why I like rats. I ccan look at them and know what is wrong without a million dollars in test. Some are strange cases but not that often. The girls are adoreable. I hope they adjust to the tilts. Cash would think he was normal and would end up leaning to far out of the cage and lose his balance so we had to watch him around edges LOL but he did well for the most part.

Seems like the tilt is at its worst right now. She will go to groom or step up on the door ledge and roll over *the foster* she has eaten some lab block, some seed mix, homemade toasted bread, spinach and arugala and a blueberry cookie piece. I do believe with her that it was/is an ear infection. I contacted my vet. He asked me to weigh her and then let me know the dose for her as I still have the meds from Peach when she was sick. Dose her just to be safe!
With little Smoosh she is so young and it all happened suddenly I believe hers is neuro damage from physical trauma.

Back