Sterling's Rescue Doors *Open*!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piece by piece the new cage.
Bottom (reg guinea pig cage with shelf)
6aruqanu.jpg

Cut a hole in the top above the shelf
ybupe9eg.jpg
sa3uzeba.jpg

Attached a second top to the cage...
jajepagu.jpg

Just add toys, sleepy huts and ladders...
5ese2aba.jpg

And a couple goofy boy rats...
y4yqyhyd.jpg
rutu9uda.jpg

And its home!!
This cage is appropriately sized (according to the cage calculator to hold 3 rats. So I say my 2boys have plenty of room. They are wrestlers so lots of surface for rolling around was key and few places to fall from. :)
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Oh your boys look sooo cute! The photo on the right is adorable...this boy looks like he is squinting his eyes...what a precious!

Okay, so the pictures are helpful, regarding how you made this set up. So, do the boys need to use that wood ladder to get to the top or can they pretty much just hop from ledge to ledge?

They can access from the ledge. Tyrion (brown hooded boy) is a monkey and loves to climb his ladders and ropes upside down so that's why the ladder is there. Not necessary but he likes it. Its only 4-6 bars below the opening they have a rope and box at the bottom to reach the ledge from the main level.

Miss Duchess had her first table top time today. She's so good. But as I watch her I feel she is younger then I thought. She attemtped to nurse from Tilly and she has little concept of how to sit and hold a piece of food. I finally got her to take some banana but she was confused as to how to do it herself but we got it.
Also she was so cute in the ball pit! She's so tiny. I had to help her in and out!
pe9uqaru.jpg

One of her nursing attempts
2y9a6ute.jpg

pu9u4e4u.jpg

nujedupy.jpg

She loves her tubes! She looks like she's smiling
zu8unyja.jpg

The boys had a spray bath today (their favourite!) All squeaky clean
ubyqeze5.jpg

asumevuq.jpg

ytypevez.jpg

sy5ynaby.jpg

*note* I realize there are scissors on the table. It doubles as my craft table and they are tucked in and secure*

That is the same cage we use as a hospital cage, but I hate the ladder that is comes with. Not too happy with the ledge either moves around too much. Did you find a way to stabilize it? Looks like a nice cage for your boys. I don't know much about ages, but looking back at my rats baby pics I might guess Ms. Duchess at 5 weeks.

Daddy drilled holes on the side of the shelf/ledge and clipped it on. It was broken on one side anyway so needed some help. I didn't have the ramp as its a second hand cage. But the ropes do well anyway

SterlingRats0408 said:
Daddy drilled holes on the side of the shelf/ledge and clipped it on. It was broken on one side anyway so needed some help. I didn't have the ramp as its a second hand cage. But the ropes do well anyway

Your not missing anything not having the ladder. Good for daddy, my boys daddy has trouble using a screwdriver :laugh4: but he's a good rat daddy!!

dspch911 said:
Your not missing anything not having the ladder. Good for daddy, my boys daddy has trouble using a screwdriver :laugh4: but he's a good rat daddy!!
Daddy is preeetty handy! He just zipped up the cage for Duchess as I'm so paranoid she's going to squeeze out. Daddy made sure that won't happen. He even made an extra lock for it!

Photos and videos! Tonight we had what we call Bananos (mashed bananas and oatmeal which my lazy tongue could not say and it came out bananos)
L-R Tatter, Isis, baby Duchess and Puff
ne5etapu.jpg

Delphi digging right in! Dita has decided against trying to , 'share' lol
gyqu8ase.jpg

My cozy rat scarf.
2aqara6u.jpg

So many Rats! All the girls!!
rajenera.jpg

Tyrion the Daddy's boy...
Save me from that scary dog...lol...
peruha7y.jpg

be6a9ugu.jpg

Little Boots snuggling in with Momma...
9e3u8yvu.jpg

umyse7ej.jpg

Today was a big cage clean. All 3 cages were thoroughly disinfected and redeco'd. Also did some moving of rat bodies. I have finally narrowed down the trouble makers and it was Tatter and Tilly the agouti dumpster girls. So...the boys moved back into the ALT cage.
6a9a2e2e.jpg

Tatter and Tilly moved into the frankencage...
Top (Tatter seen at the door)
y7esevaj.jpg

Bottom (Tilly hiding)
yrybuzu8.jpg

And big baby girl Duchess moved into the FN, also reintro'd Mellow and Puff. ..and new intro for the newcomers Jersey and Isis! ! (Clockwise: Duchess {so big now!}, Delphi...her 'momma', Jersey's bum, Isis in the potty, Dita {planning her escape no doubt} and Puff! Assume Mellow is in a hidey spot)
ahy5u6yz.jpg

Back