Sophie - She's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Globulins: in humans, alpha and beta globulin transport iron, fats and fat soluable vitamins in the blood"

There are many different types of globulins as well that can be further broken down into subtypes. There are a variety of functions. This is why you can't really find a definition of "globulins" in general since you need to know atleast a type and that only gives you a vague discription of its function, as seen above.

This is my understanding from the small amount of information I just read - I don't concentrate on globulins, I look at huntingtin. But I still have textbooks from when I did look at them and there is a whole chapter devoted to globulins.

also just found this on a random website when I googled it:

The globulin level may be elevated in:
Chronic infections (parasites, some cases of viral and bacterial infection)
Liver disease (biliary cirrhosis, obstructive jaundice)
Carcinoid syndrome
Rheumatoid arthritis
Ulcerative colitis
Multiple myelomas, leukemias, Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia
Autoimmunity (Systemic lupus, collagen diseases
Kidney dysfunction (Nephrosis)

Did your vet say anything about the liver? Is she jaundiced? Or did he say anything about cirrhosis?
Could be parasites too... but if thats already been checked, then maybe not.

But if urine is the only thing that hasnt been checked that is also on this list. I wouldnt know if it is possible to check for kidney dysfunction using the urine, although I would imagine it is possible.

Just remember that this is a human list, not rat, so I am not 100% sure that all of it would tranfer over to rats.

Thanks!!

He said he thought the liver was a little bit big in the x-ray ..and her globulin level was elevated (blood work results) ..so I am pretty sure it's globulin related.

Her poops were checked, we never found anything but some hair in them, also she is peeing fine and her kidneys looked normal on her x-ray, also feel normal.

She is getting a urine test done hopefully tomorrow ..that's the last thing we have not tried.

And no she is not jaundiced

weight loss ..52 grams in less than 2 months ..weight loss is also becoming faster ..
She eats well, and is active when she's up.
Lately sleeping more.

I can see why your vet is stumped...

It seems like the only thing that is abnormal is the liver, and that makes sense with the elevated levels too and the increased sleepiness... but I don't know. Hopefully some other vet has seen something like this in a rat or other animals (or even in a human) and can apply it to Sophie.

Hopefully something will be figured out!

Good Luck!!!!

Is kidney problems possible? One of my girls lost random weight and when put onto a kidney friendly diet and with medicine, her weight stayed the same.

Rachael, were doing a urine test today. But her kidneys don't feel or look any different! But urine might show something ..althouhg I am pretty sure it's the liver ..my vet is trying to find another vet who has experienced this in another rat or animal.

I am waiting on a call back from my vet ragarding getting a urine sample done after work!

If it were parasites ..which I will check for again ..wouldnt it be contagious? she lives with 8 others? ..or wouldnt you see something on xrays?

My Ben had a liver problem. He was always drinking even slept with his head on the water dish. He lost weight and became lethargic. (during a two-month period) The vet did a postmortem and that's how we found out it was his liver.

mamarat said:
My Ben had a liver problem. He was always drinking even slept with his head on the water dish. He lost weight and became lethargic. (during a two-month period) The vet did a postmortem and that's how we found out it was his liver.

She is only drinking a normal amount!

But what treatment did he recieve?

Just heard from the vet, he said the blood work that was done, covered the kidneys also, so anything that would show up in the urin would show up in the bloodwork!

So we are stil thinking it's her liver!
Still waiting on that second opinon! !

Momarat: What meds did your boy go on for his liver problem?

We didn't know Ben had liver disease until after he passed so he wasn't put on any meds. I believe he might have been on Baytril for a uri which would have made it harder on the liver.

I think this is the reason my vet is waiting for another opion ..he dose not want to put her on meds if it will hurt her even more ...

I just reaseached tapeworms, says it can affect the liver?

I just remembered that when Grace had a PT, I think she had a slightly large liver. For weeks she had been "off" and I had no idea what it was. I ruled out depression, infection, and pain before taking her to the vet. I had asked many times in chat for ideas, and the best explanation I had at the time was heart disease, but I still wasn't sure. When she started losing energy on top of being "off" I went to the vet with her and explained she was off (she hated the vet and was super lethargic when we were there, which made the issue more obvious) and told her everything I had tried prior to the visit. She also suspected heart issues (I had not told her about my suspicions because I wasn't sure and didn't want to steer her in that direction if that wasn't her issue) so we did an x-ray and there wasn't anything wrong with her heart but *I think* her liver was slightly larger that normal - not enough to cause concern but larger than expected. The vet did not think it was a contributing factor, and since we had ruled many things out, she treated for a neurological condition with Pred and Batryl.

Grace did improve at first but eventually just gave up. She never lost weight, in fact she even gained between the appointment when we took the x-ray and the follow-up appointment a week later (I was only feeding her lab block dust with veggie baby food, so I don't think that it would have made a huge difference), or fur or any of the typical symptoms I associate with PT until the very end. Her last weekend she stated having issues with her front legs stiffening up in front of her, but that was it. Thinking back, I wish I had done a necropsy because I still wonder what exactly happened to her.

The other thing I want to add is that we did not do a blood test because; a) even if we found something wrong with an organ, it was unlikely there would be much we could do and b) the blood test itself would have been pretty hard on her. Rats don't have a lot of blood to begin with, so even having .5 ml drawn would be a significant loss. Some of the current weight loss may be attributed to her body working overtime and drawing on reserves to replace the lost blood.

jorats said:
What does your vet think about doing a de-worming treatment... I wonder if that's hard on the liver as well?

Dose anyone know what is used for deworming? I asked the girl on the desk ..she said revo ..but thats not right ..I am waiting on a call from my vet!

Back