Sophie - She's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going down as an ER visit today with Toby & Sophie ..I called last night and informed them ..they said come around 2, but they just called and said they had someone reschedule so now I have a appointment for 3 :joy:

I'll update when I get home ..good vibes are needed ..we all know I NEVER have luck!

Back from the vet.
Sophie had a total check up from head to toe.
We have ruled out tumors, diabetes, Kidney disease and heart disease.

We did urine tests, x-rays and blood work.

Just gotta wait for the blood results to come back!

My vet just called, some of Sophies blood is back, everything is normal but her globulins are elevated ..but he needs to research it and see what that means (there is some tumors that can make them elevated, but he dont think thats it) he also has to run blood work again tomorrow a.m. and get an electrolytes level.

jorats said:
Keep us updated.

:nods:

I am going back again Monday with Eve for a recheck ..I'll have more infor then!

Poor Sophie was so dragged out after her blood work ..coming around again now ..still loosing weight :sad3:

Blood work all came back normal except for her elevated globulins which he is still researching.
She has new symptoms also:
- She pooped at the vet today, a very long and painful poop.
- She act's fine, then all of a sudden she stops, her eyes squint and she almost looks like she's going to pass out, she boggles and her body vibrates all over. (my vet said he has never seen this before in anything)
- Her eye's look dull.
- She's still eating lots, but she used to weight 350, now shes 305 ..she's loosing weight quicker now.
- sleeping more

We have done a full exam, have found no painful spots, lumps, stiff spots, unusal things, etc
Her breathing is fine, no porph.
She is not sucking in her sides like she's in pain.

After her exam tonight, she cuddles into my chest and closed her eyes and just stayed there, my vet says it's not normal ..not normal at all ..although atm she is running around on the couch eating baby cereal.

My vet has posted all this info on the vet fourm (VIM) that he uses ..he is going to see what other vets think ..he hasnt done an xray yet ..but hee dont think he will see anything on it ..since he feels nothing ..urine was only tested not too long and was normal ..so he hasnt done that either ..he will be doing xrays and urine tests soon if nothing else comes up to help.

I will be feeding her a tsb of olive oil daily + foods from the MC diet.

I wonder if she has an abdominal tumour that is too deep to be felt. If pooping was painful, and if she was uncomfortable after the exam, I wonder if there is a small mass that will show up on the X-ray.

Godmother said:
I wonder if she has an abdominal tumour that is too deep to be felt. If pooping was painful, and if she was uncomfortable after the exam, I wonder if there is a small mass that will show up on the X-ray.

We were also thinking this, my vet is pretty sure that there is nothing inside of her that feels out of the norm in her abd, as she is only tiny and he felt her for quiet sometime ..but it's possible ..we are hoping to get xrays done tomorrow ..she was so uncomfotable after being examed, that we did not want to put her through x-rays!

I've already told Renee this but I'll post here too.
When my cat was in renal failure her only symptoms were weight loss and trouble passing her stool. Nothing else. Extra water in food and sub q, litterally saved her life. I would try the same with Sophie. Get your vet to show you how to do sub q on your rat and give your rat olive oil on a spoon, this will help her pass her stool.
At this point, might as well try right?

Thanks Jo!

Just dropped her off at the vet for the day, he is going to do xrays.
I'll mention the sub q when I pick her up!

Sophie is at the vet right now for Sub Q fluids and X-rays.

We have narrowed it down to two possible things:

Nurological or a deep abdominal tumor that can't be felt.

If nothing comes out of the x-rays ..that leave use with nuro :(

Please send good vibes my way ..not for my sake but for Sophies sake :(

Any one have anymore suggestions?? Ideas??, anything will help

I would think there's a mass inside her digestive system, much much harder to feel/find, it just doesn't sound neurological to me at all. She sounds like she's in pain, is she getting pain relief right now?

lilspaz68 said:
I would think there's a mass inside her digestive system, much much harder to feel/find, it just doesn't sound neurological to me at all. She sounds like she's in pain, is she getting pain relief right now?

No, not as of yet, she only started these recent symptoms last night (painful poop, looking likes she's going to passout, sleeping more) ..after she was examined last night she would sit in my hands ..her eyes would squint and it would look like she was gonna pass out ..then I would say Sophie and she would snap out of it ..but if I left her she would start to boggle and her whole body would vibrate ..but as soon as I laid her down she would start running around again ..then I took her up and she started the whole looking like she was gonna pass out ..then she went to sleep in my coat ..when we got home she was running around on the couch eating baby cereal and ensure ..then she cuddled in the blankets and went to sleep ..got up ate some more then I put her in the cage with everyone else and she started beating up on Toby.

I'v noticed that she is drinking very little ..hence the sub q fluids.

He felt her belly ALL over last night, very good and she never showed any sign of pain at all.
I'm so confused.

Rats can be so confusing sometimes when it comes to their health. Sounds like you have a good vet that is at least willing to dig! Hopefully and answer can be found. I find the neuro answer a bit out of nowhere.

Sophie's brother Hunter passed only 2 months ago from colon cancer also ..so I don't know if this is anything like this ..she has none of the signs he had.

I was just talking to Dr. D's vet assistant. X-rays have been taken ..he had to go back into surgery for a puppy, but should be out soon.
So nothing has been read yet.
*keep your fingers crossed*

Back