Sophie - She's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sophie's back from the vet! Nothing showed on the x-rays (We even got to see them). Her chest and heart look very good, and her abd looks good as well ..kind of hard to see as fat helps to pick out things ..but nothing seemed to be out of the normal ..her live looks a tiny big large ..but his not 100 percent on that ..he says after his appoitnments tonight he is going to compare her x-ray to a "healthy" rat's xray. He posted all her information up on the forum he uses last night, no responses as of yet. So right now the only thing we have is elevated globulin ...so hyperglobulin ..but he cant find anything on hyperglobulin in any kind of animals, lots in hypoglobulins ..so he wants to get some opinons on hyperglobulin before starting her on meds ..which would be pred and an antibiotic :( Any suggestions?? Edit: She has lots of energy today, running around and eating well.

jorats said:
I can't offer anything... Except sending healing vibes.

If anyone has weird medical issues with rat's ..it's me!

Thanks!

I don't even know what the purpose of a globulin is????

Okay found this!

Globulin is one of the three types of serum proteins, the others being albumin and fibrinogen. Some globulins are produced in the liver, while others are made by the immune system. The term globulin encompasses a heterogeneous group of proteins with typical high molecular weight, and both solubility and electrophoretic migration rates lower than for albumin.

But what's the purpose???

Video Of Sophie Tonight!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid813.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz58%2Fnneeaa_2010%2FMVI_1682.mp4">

I notice our girls loosing weight. Skittles to be exact, she is the chubbiest rat we have. I picked up and actually thought i had her sister, she was pretty thin. Then later that same day, i notice she had worms. I honestly would check for internal parasites. I know with her, you could see an orange glob on her poo. Looked kinda mucus. It is long shot, but after watching for fresh poos from her, I started to examine them. I put the stuff on them, and she is already gaining weight back. It is still beyond me where she got them from, but she was acting fine, and the only thing was loosing weight. If you have a good relationship with your vet a lot of times they will just let you bring in a stool sample for testing.

Do we have any biology grads on the forum? lol I'll ask my son, he's in biochem but his girlfriend is a biology grad.
In the video, Sophie looks great. Her fur is smooth and shiny, eyes are clear, she's curious and very active. She may have lost weight but she certainly does not look underweight, in fact, I can see the outline of her muscles... I'd say she's in perfect form. But... don't want her losing anymore.

Ratty Momma said:
Okay found this!

Globulin is one of the three types of serum proteins, the others being albumin and fibrinogen. Some globulins are produced in the liver, while others are made by the immune system. The term globulin encompasses a heterogeneous group of proteins with typical high molecular weight, and both solubility and electrophoretic migration rates lower than for albumin.

jorats said:
Do we have any biology grads on the forum? lol I'll ask my son, he's in biochem but his girlfriend is a biology grad.
In the video, Sophie looks great. Her fur is smooth and shiny, eyes are clear, she's curious and very active. She may have lost weight but she certainly does not look underweight, in fact, I can see the outline of her muscles... I'd say she's in perfect form. But... don't want her losing anymore.

Ratty Momma said:
Okay found this!

Thanks Jo, that will be helpful!

Sophie sleeps more when she's not up and on the go ..but when she's up, shes very very active like you seen.
She was a bit chunky at 350 grams, and now at 305 grams ..looks at the operfect weight ..but thats te thing ..we dont want her to loose anymore.

We have checked evrything ..xrays,bone density, blood work, stool, did multiple complete exmainations, not dehydrated at all..the only thing we have not done is urine ..so were not left with much more to do! ..I just hope someone on the fourm my vet uses has seen this before! ..he is thinking about starting her on pred and baytril ..but needs a second expert opinon first!

I hate not knowing! :(

I also have no idea what might be wrong with her. My girl Poppy is losing weight at the moment too but she's very old now and the strange thing is like Jo said, Sophie still looks perfect and in the video she is active, I have no idea what might be wrong.

Just home from work ..weighed Sophie ..she is now 298 grams :sad3: ..3 days ago she was 305 grams ..thats 7 grams ..

Just fed her a spoonful of olive oil and about 2 spoons of baby cereal made with ensure!

Jo, did you ask your son :stickpoke:

My lil lady:

IMG_1725.jpg

:heart:

Back