Sophie - She's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your vet able to do an ultra scan if you want to check her heart?

Sadly my vet doesn't have anything small enough to do an ultra scan on a rat..... :( ?

What are some things I can feed her to help her gain weight?

I don't want anything high in sugar just in case it's a tumor, or something with her kidneys.

She is not underweight, but she is smaller than what she was.

I'm thinking it could be the new cage (I added on another FN, so now they have two double FN's side by side) and Sophie always runs across the top down to the bottom and back up again.

But 22 grams in two weeks is alot.

Any advice or anything would be helpful!
What should I get the vet to check?

My sister has had great success feeding baby cereal with olive oil. What you want is high fat (good fat) like in olive oil, avocados but keep it low protein. That could kick her metabolism back in gear and get her to put gain muscle.

jorats said:
My sister has had great success feeding baby cereal with olive oil. What you want is high fat (good fat) like in olive oil, avocados but keep it low protein. That could kick her metabolism back in gear and get her to put gain muscle.

Her favorite is bananna and rice baby cereal mixed with water ..how much olive oik should I use?

Some of the things I feed my ill rats who are losing weight is plain full fat yogurt (no sugar or additives). I also feed them pure nut butters, the ones that are only nuts. Almond is our most used, I eat it too. If blended with the yogurt it makes a nice treat and cuts the butter so it isn't so sticky they choke.

Any carbs are seen by the body as fuel, cancers will often take those carbs and use them up before the body can use them. Proteins however are processed by the body and seen as building blocks and used for growth and repair (repair like is needed if the body is scavenging muscle). It is much harder for cancers to use proteins as fuel as the body will use them first before converting them to carbs for fuel or fat for storage. For an emaciated rat, all the protien is likely to be used. Ditto for fats, if you give a rat good fats, the body will use those fats to build itself.

Avocado is another favorite of my rats. I know some people don't think it is good for rats but my guys never have troubles. Cooked egg or fish is another favorite. Fish canned in oil, like sardines is quite a treat, I just wonder if the can itself might have toxins, but you can always cook fish scraps from the grocer and add your own fresh oil.

These are just a few of the things I use to maintain weight on my guys if I suspect cancer might be rearing it's ugly head. There are supplements out there - hepato support and renal cat that you can get from the vet to support rats with either liver or kidney issues. Although they are made for dogs and cats, you can reduce the dose to give your ratties. Often with kidney issues, giving a really high quality protein like egg or fish doesn't stress the kidneys further because there is less waste from those high quality proteins.

Sorry to hear she's still losing weight hun!! Definitely sounds like a lot of great ideas for now though and hopefully your vet can have something more solid for answers and advice tomorrow!! :hugs:

Sophie did well at the vet!
She got a complete check over, and she is as healthy as a horse!

We listened to her lungs, checked her teeth and felt her over for lumps!

She is actually really healthy :)

She is really active latley, i think thats the cause for the loss!

:panic:
Sophie is STILL loosing weight!

She was 344 before this all started, now she is 315 :?

Had her down to the vet with everyone 2-3 weeks ago, my vet checked her over and never found anything wrong .. I have a vet appointment for Monday for a recheck for Eve ..I will be bringing her down as well for another check!

I am totally confused ..she eats very well, act's normal and has TON'S of energy. No porph, no funny breathing ..no nothing :?

This weight loss started just after I moved everyone from a double FN to 2 double FN's joined side by side ..so she has more room to run ..but still a 29 gram weight loss is alot, is it not??

How does she look? It's not a huge weight loss if she was a big girl before. How old is she now? Do you feel her spine or hip bones? Have you tried giving her extra foods, like a small piece of whole wheat toast with a bit of olive oil?
I have a girl who looked like she was emaciated. But she was very healthy, she lived most of her life like that. It worried me but there was nothing I could do.

jorats said:
How does she look? It's not a huge weight loss if she was a big girl before. How old is she now? Do you feel her spine or hip bones? Have you tried giving her extra foods, like a small piece of whole wheat toast with a bit of olive oil?
I have a girl who looked like she was emaciated. But she was very healthy, she lived most of her life like that. It worried me but there was nothing I could do.

At her biggest she was 350 grams.
She is 18 months old today!
I cannot feel her hips bones or spine.
I was giving her whole wheat bread with Olive oil, which was helping her gain ..but I stopped because I figured it would just be covering up an illness ..should I start doing that again?

My vet said during her last check up that she is very healthy and has a lot of muscle.

I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything and just assume that this weight loss is "normal".

Is there anything I should be checking for, or get my vet to check?

But she's not going up and down ..just down ..unless I feed her olive oil on bread, then she stays the same

I think I am going to get my vet to do tests to check Sophies Kidneys ..It's the only thing I can think off that could be causing this!

Signs of kidney disease:

Weight Loss
Drinking lot's of water & Peeing more (this I cannot moniter as 7 other rats live with her)

Back