Sophie - She's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ack! I forgot! The only thing Grace's x-ray clearly showed was that she was constipated! The vet told me I could feed her a little bit of cat hairball remedy (I know that will not go over well with you :hugs:) or some mineral oil. Mineral oil is super cheap ($2-3) and you only need to add a few drops to her food.

*:hugs: Sophie*

EDIT: Rachael's suggestion would work as well... gently rub her belly about 3/4 of the way down, that may help move things along.

Thanks Victoria, Ill try the belly rubbing, as stores are closed now!

I'll never use cat hairball remover again :(

Ratty Momma said:
Thanks Victoria, Ill try the belly rubbing, as stores are closed now!

I'll never use cat hairball remover again :(

I get that... your experience is actually the reason I went the mineral oil route. You can sometimes buy it at supermarkets or any retailer with a health and beauty section (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.)... I have no idea what you have around you.

The other thing I remember was my vet told me not to give high fibre foods as fibre just makes things expand and that is not what you need right now. If you have canned pumpkin at home you can try giving her that, it may help things along. The olive oil may help too, you're just trying to get the mechanical side of the digestive system restarted.

Can you feel at her butt the poops right at the base of the tail. Check along there to feel if there is anything hard. If all she ate were soft foods then she will pee more than anything else. But if she's constipated, you need to make sure she has plenty of water, in fact, I would try and syringe water mixed with sugar.

If there's no bowel movement make sure she is drinking. Try tempt her with soy milk or water and if that fails then syringe a bit of water into her mouth, it is important that she drinks.

She has been drinking lots of ensure, should I try water + sugar in a syringe? how much sugar mixed with how much water? :stickpoke:

I would stop the ensure for now and try the sugar/water. Taste test your sugar/water, you just want to get it sweet so she will take it readily.

I got one full syringe into her so far!
She will have to stay in her hospital cage for the night because I need the freshes poop tommorow morining to bring to the vet ..so she needs to stay alone :( ..but the rest will be good for her.
What food and liquids should I put in there?

Edit: She is alwful active for a girl who hasnt pooped in 6 hours :D ..she has been running around on the couch for at least 30 minutes now!

UGH!

It now has been 14 hours ....I put her in her hosipital cage 5 hours ago with 4 blocks, she ate half of one ...still no poop

jorats said:
Did you see her do it, if so how did she look. How does it look? How many?

I did, she never looked in pain, there was 1 big one, and 1 normal sized one ..they looked normal!

I just dropped her poops off at the vet, they are running the fecal on it now.

If nothing shows ..then we are completly out of ideas!

We have done:
- X-rays (Vet says the liver may be a little big)
- Blood Work (which also covered urine/kidneys ..Showed Elevated Globulin Levels)
- Full Palptation Examination (nothing feels strange)
- Checked Mouth/Teeth
- & now Fecal (Waiting on Results)

Theres no other tests that we can do!

She's active, happy, eating, peeing, pooping ..but loosing weight!

So her weight loss has something to do with Elevated Globulin Levels ...the only thing my vet can suggest is Pred + Baytril ..if nothing shows in the fecal test ..then thats what were down too sadly.

Sophie just a few minutes ago :heart:

IMG_1778.jpg

She love's love ..and right now thats all that matters!

Fecal results are back, nothing showed up!

So now were on pred + baytril.

Right now he wants her to have pred + baytril for 6 days, then he wants to see her.

The pred I have is PediaPred 1mg/ml by ml - He said to give her 1 ml once a day for three days, then 0.5 ml once a day for three days, then bring her for a recheck.

The baytril I have here is 50 mg/mg diluted to 25 ml - So the dose of that would be 0.11 ml? (he said once a day for this as well, but it should be twice ..correct?)

Edit: Weight: 298 grams

.12 cc twice a day for baytril...I get .119 cc's and round up.

middle of the road dose for pred would be .3 cc's once a day. High end would be .65 cc's...your vet is dosing too high.

Back