Show your cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nice...When I wake up in the morning, they are all lined up on the top waiting for a kiss :heart:

I hope they never try to jump from the top...but I've had many different rats in that cage and they all just like running around the top... I cover it when I'm gone for the day or something, but as long as someone is home, the top is always open!

It's just because we only bought the add on for the ferret nation, so it didn't have a top to it (the top should have been the top of the bottom half, but since I didn't have that....)...I imagine that once my bottom half comes in, I will put the top on......but I can't imagine my ratties would like that very much...they freak out when I cover it at all....We shall see I guess!

Once you put your FN together, it will make it quite tall, I'd be worried a fall from a great height, it could be fatal.
But for now they can enjoy some freedom.

New pic of my cage. :)

Sorry bout the horrible quality, i only have a camera on my phone and this one is even worse then the one on my last phone... :(

Kooimeep.jpg

Here's my cage.
[schild=19,1,4B0082,8B0000:1hlhzhbd]It's pretty nifty.[/schild:1hlhzhbd] Sorry I have so many pics. Also, the quality sucks, I took them on my cell phone. My cage is this one. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753263

1102081653a_01.jpg

Full view of cage. Well, the top is cut off, but does that really matter? Nothing was there.

1102081649.jpg

Bottom portion of cage.

1102081649a.jpg

Left bottom.

1102081650.jpg

Right bottom. Onigiri climbs out of the hammock!

1102081651.jpg

Top of cage.

1102081652a.jpg

Left top. I didn't get a pic of the right top.

1102081652b.jpg

Right side. That's a cider bottle filled with napkins. Soon they'll be nice and shredded.

1102081653.jpg

Left side. Another juice bottle with napkins, this time strawberry kiwi Juicy Juice. They won't use the rope, but it's pretty, so I put it in.

1102081656.jpg

Bottom right side.

The awesome spotty hammock is made of old pajama pants. My rats tend to hang out up top, so the stuff hanging in the bottom gets little use. The red and black flower cube is hand sewn with cheap thread, and is falling apart, but it took so long to make, and my rats love it! I never know what's popular with each arrangement of the cage. Last time is was the piece of shelf behind a cardboard box. LOL.

Yesterday i cleaned out my explorer cage then took pics:

Girls half :
PA310448.jpg

PA310442.jpg

Has in it:

Wheel, Crinkle Hammock, Igloo , Wood arch, Tunnel, Litterbox, Rattle Ball, Mineral chew block, Wood chew block, and 3 food bowls. (Has 3 adults and 11 babies..they need lots hehe)

Boys half :

PA310443.jpg

Has in it:

Double decker hammock (well chewed), Carboard box (they cant live without it ehhe) Litter box, wood chew, Rattle ball, and 2 food bowls cause the squabble.

There are 3 males in there currently. However to two black berks are fosters and are going to there new home next friday. My BEW Rex boy is getting one of the baby boys (Tiger) For a buddy.

Ok and cute girl rat pics lol. (boys were fighting so no good pictures)

cuterats1.jpg

^^Mummy and two babies

cuterats2.jpg

^^Random baby

cuterats.jpg

^^ Mrs Blue (Mrs PEW's sister hehe) and a babies bum!

I had to clean the girls/babies half again today !! grr

But here are updates pics. I changed it around a bit :p

PB010449.jpg

PB010450.jpg

PB010451.jpg

Ohh and if you can find all the rats there will be a prize. lol . Simply save the picture of the whole thing and circle them all then pm me it hehe :)

[Hint, 11 babys and 3 adult females. :p ]

Thoughts on my cage?

Also does anyone know where i can get deep pans that would fit this cage? I hate using the fleece on the bottom.

There are some crazy awesome setups out there.
This is my PetCo Rat Manor. It's home for my two male ratlings, Nibbles and Skittles.
It's two levels with two shelves, I read about wire flooring being bad, so I laid a hardboard base over all of the upper shelves and floor and topped it with self-stick floor tile. I dressed all the edges with duct tape to discourage chewing, hoping that the adhesive might have annoying after chewing effects like sticky teeth, heh.

I have two food dishes to make food a foraging experience of sorts. The long stem coconut cup is for lab block or other dry food (plus you can hide stuff in the no-man's land between the stem and the cage bars) and the bar-mounted feeder cup is nice for fruits, veggies or other surprise foods.

Those bendy bird perches are pretty cool, you can adjust the shapes once in a while to keep things from getting boring and change things around a bit.

The rats took to a far corner as the potty spot, despite my best efforts at trying to get them to use an area easier for me to access. They have been pushing the houses around lately, so this might be a chance to try to change the spot.

Looks like more hanging gear can be put in with m'rats, I'll start looking around for tubes and some hardware. I can probably fit a little more stuff in there while they are still smallish, sizewise.

Some rats might use an exercise wheel and some will just use it as a place to hide. I suppose they are cheap enough to try out, or even rotate it with the weekly litter/toy change.

I'm thinking that they are fairly comfortable in there now, when I take them out they'll try to head back to the cage, which is good, cause I don't want to play "hide and seek" and "catch the rat" all night. The free roam area is in another room, so if they do get loose, they have no clue where they are, but the area I have set aside for them is pretty easy to secure quickly, and fairly easy to clean up after any accidents.

Cool cage! I like that red, triangle thing.

Males are less likely to use a wheel, but if you do get one make sure it is solid bottom.

Wow-seeing some of these cages kinda makes me feel inferior, LoL. :sad3: My girls have a 3 story super pet cage but it doesn't have nearly as many fun things in it as some of these cages. Now I feel like a bad rat mommy! Must get more stuff! Atleast I just made my first homestitched hammock! I was so proud of it! It is just a piece of fleece and flannel sewed together but it's soft and warm-I also made them a little clothe cave that they just love! It was just a clothe sack that our new sheets came, it had a drawstring so I slipped that out and made a triangle frame from a piece of coat hanger and slid in into the opening and added a chain and hung from the roof of the cage-and now they are always cuddled inside of it. That's what I love about rats-no matter how crappy the quality of homemade toys they don't care, as long as the can pee, poo, chew it, sleep in it, groom on it, or wrestle in/on it-they love it! :bunnydance:

Try to buy some hammocks from Chelsey's Cozies, Kat's Rats Mats, or Wonderrodent! I think I'll place an order soon. You can make hammocks and cubes, too. I did that, but machinneless, so it sucks. Or you can simply make hammcoks but cutting out a square of fabric and hanging it, if you're not sewing savvy. There's also that thing where you cut fringe and tie the knots together.... etc. etc. Boxes, paper bags, and empty juice bottles are ratty gold!

Actually my rats don't use half the stuff in there cage... it's just there.

NezumiNeko said:
Cool cage! I like that red, triangle thing.

Males are less likely to use a wheel, but if you do get one make sure it is solid bottom.

Yep, the red tent is a bird cozy shack or something. They don't really use it unless they are frisky. Then it becomes a point of ambush.
When you say solid bottom you mean a non-wire wheel?

lilratsy43 said:
Awesome cage above!!! I can't show mine, I'm embarrassed! Mine are of good size, but really lacking in the fun and exciting department....

Eh... fun and exciting stuff is pretty tough to fathom. The hanging bird toy is just a place to hide yogurt drops 'cause they have flat bottoms and don't roll well. I jam a few chew sticks in the bars to keep them from being pushed out. It also makes a good place to put little tidbits like a dab of peanut butter or mash some bananna onto the ends to keep them interested. Leftover cardboard tubes are always a hit, though. They can currently fit about 1 1/2 tubes in one of the house plus two medium-small rats. I get knit gloves from work, they are disposable, but I'll wash them and cut the cuff off and Skittles crawls into it like an armless sweater. Ping pong balls are a decent way to keep them occupied for a few minutes, too. I'll put one in the hammock up top and one on the top shelf of the cage and wait for them to push them all the way down. I'm trying to rig it so they can push the balls back up the bird ladder, but they aren't too tool savvy yet.

Back