Rat Shack members purchase CN and supplies for SPCA rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:
So ... several papers, exams, deaths, new resue litter, huge rescue transport to MRR, house sitting at Godmothers, etc ....
and ...
Sorry it has been so long ... some of the rats have found homes, others (girls and boys) are still at the SPCA wating for forever homes that may never arrive

I cleaned the CN cage and was able to finally get a really really good look at it.
Since taking apart and cleaning my CNs, and one of Godmother's CNs,
I find that the rust on this cage isn't much worse then on our cages ....

so I am just going to take it to the SPCA and set it up ... hopefully this week .... depends on their schedule

I am including two short drainage tubes to hang - one in each section, as well as two dollar store pieces of cloroplast to go under the bottom plan as added protection from cat that wanders around the SPCA, and two cut down dollar store dish pans to be used as litter boxes at the bottom of the two balcony ladders. I will put the remaining $ 5.58 toward this.

Any donations of:
wheels, hammocks, chewable tubes, fleece, etc to set up the cage with would be appreciated.

Pictures will be posted once it has been delivered and set up.
Thanks

jorats said:
The rats and staff are very lucky that you are doing this for them.

thanks, but ...... they are very lucky the Rat Shack Members (including me) are doing this for them.

I did take the oxbow donated by Ratsforever to them about 2 months ago ....

If anyone is able to help with things to put into the cage (or money to buy things to put into the cage) /set up the cage with, it would be much appreciated.
Ask Jorats about any financial donations ...

Wish list for 2 seperated sections of CN ..... so these poor rats living their lives at the shelter will have things
and so the SPCA and potential adopters will know what is good for rats (4 girls and 5 boys still need homes :( )
Items or money toward the purchase of items would be very much appreciated.
(Any donations of money can be sent to Jorats)
- donated items do not need to be new, just in good condition.

Hoping for some more donations to set up the cage for 4 girls and 5 boys currently at the SPCA.
Imagine having to live the rest of your life in the SPCA .....

I would probably focus more on plastic hidey boxes since they may or may not be willing or able to wash cloth.

Thank you so much ratkin412 !

Thank you hopefloats.
They said they would wash material but you are right, less material rather then more is likely better,
although they do need some hammocks.
The last time I was there they were using large donated softwood pellets (they couldn't answer my questions, dismissed my concerns etc). I was told this is what they use in the cat litter boxes too.

As simple as possible is likely best in terms of cage set up and cleaning.

Same as the Snack Shacks....I donated a few to some of the local shelters for their small animals and they were tossed out after a few days as they said they smelled....My rats really love them and I will sometimes rinse them and air dry them if I find someone had peed in it....
I wouldn't donate anything that will hold any smell or will be a lot of work to look after....
Try to mention to them to put in cardboard boxes..fun for the animal, easy and cheap to replace...

Dahlas said:
Same as the Snack Shacks....I donated a few to some of the local shelters for their small animals and they were tossed out after a few days as they said they smelled....

:sad3:
Mine love chewing the large logs ... guess I had better take the 2 snack shak logs off the list :(

Thanks Dallas, I will mention boxes.
We have 2 large kleenex boxes to put in the cage so far, rats love chewing them.

Wish list for 2 seperated sections of CN ..... so these poor rats living their lives at the shelter will have things
and so the SPCA and potential adopters will know what is good for rats (4 girls and 5 boys still need homes :( )
Items or money toward the purchase of items would be very much appreciated.
(Any donations of money can be sent to Jorats)
- donated items do not need to be new, just in good condition.

2, 12 inch diameter silent spinners
hammocks - 6 donated (2nd hand)
1 small litter box to fill hole in pan - donated (2nd hand)
2 corner litter boxes - donated (2nd hand)
2 litter boxes for bottom of ladders - donated (dollar store dish pans)
2 plastic drainage pipes to hang - donated
3 pkg (dollar store) shower hooks
2 small plastic bowls donated (2nd hand)
2 metal (water) bowls for side of the cage 1 donated (2nd hand)
2 empty kleenex boxes - donated
2 hanging balls
2 medium cardboard/veg based chewable tubes
litter
2 plastic houses/shelters
8? baby cotton blankets for bedding in hanging balls or in houses - donated (2nd hand)
some oxbow - donated
fleece for full level pans - 3 donated (2nd hand)
- any other ideas?

- copies of rat info pamphlet - created

I wouldn't donate Sputniks... someone will probably take off with them. The balls may be a pain to keep clean. Keep in mind the staff at the shelter have a lot to clean and get done and if something isn't getting cleaned properly, it's better to just get it out of the cage than to leave it in there dirty and creating a health hazard.

I have hung the stackable organizer baskets (from the dollar store) with shower curtain hooks before and some of my rats loved getting into them (easy to clean too) but I know Dollarama changed the design and I don't think the new ones have holes for hanging.

Removed Sputniks from the list.
Balls are easy to clean - I have 2 in my cages & find them easy and fast to clean

You are right, the stackable organizer design has changed.

Back