Rat Shack members purchase CN and supplies for SPCA rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those rats (and those that come after them) will get to appreciate the spacious and luxury accommodations every day as they wait for their forever homes.

I absolutely love the dedication placards - what a nice, thoughtful touch.

The SPCA staffers and potential new rat adopters may not have known that rats will tend to use a litter box if one is provided, so having the litter boxes might be a huge selling point for someone who is looking for a clean, "lower maintenance', pet.

Great job SQ, and also to all of the ratshackers who donated or were otherwise involved with this important project - you guys are the best!!

Summary of funds received from ratshack members:
I received $310 ($245 + $65), two 3 Ib bag of oxbow, and quite a few donated items for the SPCA rat cage.

The double CN cage has been set up and outfitted.
Any donated items that the SPCA decides not to use will be returned to the people who donated them so that the items may be used for other rats.
If the SPCA decides not to use any purchased items for the rats, the items will be sold and the money used for other items for this CN.

. $ 310.00 - received
-
. $ 200.00 - cost of cage
-------------
..$ 110.00 - amount left
-
..$ 39.42 - cost of gas to transport the cage from Moncton to Fredericton
--------------
..$ 70.58 remaining.
-
..$ 76.54 items purchased for the cage
--------------------------------
... $ 5.96 overspent

................................. :balloons3: To all the people :balloons3:
who donated money, items, +/or time to this effort and made this possible

.......................... :cheering: THANK YOU !!! :cheering:

[glow=red:8qai1joc][blink:8qai1joc]Thank you to all the awesome members here who made this possible.[/blink:8qai1joc][/glow:8qai1joc]

The world would be a better place if we had more people like you! :bow: :joy:

In early 2012, the members of this forum did an amazing thing - we worked together to purchase and set up a double CN cage for ratties at the Oromoncto SPCA!
Two of the boys from the original group that moved into this cage were never adopted ..... but at least they had a good home for the remainder of their lives, thanks to the generosity of the members of this forum.

Amazing!! .......... :banana:..............:happydance:

Last edited:
The cage has helped many ratties and served as an example for new rat owners on how to set up a rat cage and what types of things their new ratties need.

But it has been over three and a half years and the cage is not as well equipped as it once was.

The CN cage placed at the Oromoncto SPCA for use by ratties

The top section of the CN

The bottom section of the CN

The double CN is still in good shape but as you can see, items have worn out and the cage is pretty bare.
The ratties seem to feel very exposed in the open cages and are very afraid.

Last edited:
I am hoping that if we work together we can set up our ratshack double CN cage so that it can again provide ratties with a good home and also serve as an example to new rat owners.

I know we can do it! :grouphug2:

Last edited:
Items needed include:

a medium house for the bottom section

large hammocks as the remaining hammocks are quite small - donations anyone? - 2 donated ..... anyone else able to help?

1 or 2 large wheels (such as silent spinners)

two large snak shak activity logs

two 3 inch diameter pvc (drainage tubes) tubes

two 3 inch diameter pvc elbows or T shapes for (drainage) tubes

two medium chewbular play tubes (the cardboard ones)

two litter boxes for the balconies

Any other ideas?

What do you think?

Lets give the ratties at the Oromoncto SPCA a good Christmas and a Happy New Year as they wait for new homes.

Please help if you can.

Last edited:
Hi SQ, I think it would be best to start a new thread! I have a few hammocks I could donate as well. Also, you should add how to donate and where to send stuff too. :)

Last edited:
Back