Random Thoughts - The Sequel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we have more than one heart rat in a lifetime? It sure feel like I put one to sleep last night... I feel like what I hit by a fully loaded train...

Rest in peace Totoro... we loved each other at first sight, and eventhough I hate that you are gone, I'm glad I was there to ease you through your journey to the Bridge... :tearful:

I would think so. Who's to tell you that they weren't? You know how you feel. No one can tell you that one is more important then the other!
As well I am sorry for your loss. I had a girl slip away last night as well. May they rest easy at the bridge together

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Unepuce, it's the hardest thing to go through. Our beautiful Ridgeback dog, Sienna passed away peacefully in her sleep on Monday. There's a huge empty spot in our house and lives now. I hope they are all playing together (Sienna was so gentle with my ratties - and scared of them most of the time!)

Thank you for your kind words following my loss of sweet happy loving Totoro...

Another heartbreak to come, but I guess a good one this time - we have a potential adopter for 2 of my 4 fosters... if we can find a moment to meet tonight! This would be a super dupper home (the adult daughter of the Animal Wellfare director of the shelter!!!) but my heart is crushed that my boys will be split. They are so happy together... and I love them to bits... if there was only 2 of them, they would have been failed fosters a long time ago... and the two remaining have big chances to become just that unless there is another home lined up very very soon!

And back to 7 rats I would be - that goal of going down to 4 seems so unattainable. But I need boys in my life, and Jay will be leaving me sooner then later...

Harry the non stop kisser and humans biggest fan and his more reserved but no less loveable brother Dalan left me yesterday to move to Gaspe with their new mom. I knew it would be hard to let a pair go, but it was even harder than expected. When I close my eyes, I see Harry frantically running on the bed, play fighting with his brothers and rushing over to me to give me kisses or rest in my shirt... Heartbreak...

Don't get me wrong, I am happy these two have found a forever home. But how I wish I could have adopted all four of my fosters...

I hope being split will not break Richie and Hans' spirit. I sure will make sure they are as happy as can be, even without their brothers. Actually, I saw a little of Harry's love in Richie's eyes this morning... but it might have been wishful thinking... ;)

Last edited:

I hate to lecture, but I have to admit this add scared me... so I responded. Hopefully, the tone of the add does not reflect the mindframe of the requestor...

"Just a little bit of warning on that true assessment: rats do make great pets, even for young kids if supervised, but please be warned - they also are very fragile health wise, being especially prone to respiratory infections and tumors, and often require repeat visits to an exotic vet. In other words, they are THE perfect pet for kids given that parents do intend to get involved in the care and well-being of the animals. Please make sure you are willing to commit before adding such a social and fragile creature to your family. And if you are... Welcome to the wonderful world of pet rat love - where once you get your first pair, you can't imagine your life without more... and more... and more!!!"

I am aware, of course, that this could very well be a feeder request... but I needed to cover the possibility the add was genuine...

I almost did the same thing. Just wanted to message as a hey its a great choice of pet. But be aware its not like a goldfish there's a lot of responsibility on all parties involved.

Well... against all odds I got a response!

"no worries im gonna make sure everything is good with them. as well "

Think I'll thank her and link her to the Shack... :)

A friend of mine recently dressed up her white cat as a black cat for Halloween. I don't think the costume went over well. :laugh2: (If looks could kill...)

10423274_10152810169960132_4867698206016919666_n1_zpsa7369992.jpg

Apparently, kitty was happier with last year's costume when she got to be a caterpillar. :toothy2:

I'm surprised kitty put up with anything in the past. That costume is too funny! Makes you wonder why it wouldn't go over well to dress as a different color in humans??

It's now official... I'm a failed foster once more! I officially adopted Hans and Richie (now Flash and Ivan) yesterday. I had bad news for both Jay and Emilie on Tuesday, so BF figured that we would be down to 2 sooner than later so he accepted an earlier adoption in order to get done with the neuter faster (that, and the fact that he cannot stand the intact hormonal male smell, marking and greasy hair any longer! LOL). They will go under on Tuesday.

Bad news are that Emilie is officially diagnosed with a brain tumor that is suspected to be other than PT. We are trying the bromo on her, we'll see. And on top of his ongoing heart issue (for which he is topped on all 3 heart meds), his growing tumour on his butt and his HED, Jay now has a new mass on his intestines, an ulcer in one eye due to the fact that he cannot close that eye completely any longer, and the classic abcess on his belly, close to his penis (or so we hope it's only an abcess). But the will to live in this rat is just purely extraordinary! He litterally THROWS himself at me to get scratches and kisses... Gosh I'll miss my boy! And the good side of Emilie's tumour is that she forgot she didn't like to be handled and she too thrives for my constant attention...

On the other side of the medal, the good (bittersweet) news, though, is that I will be at goal with 4 rats when those two leave me... 2 males and 2 females as I was aiming for, and that I have adopted my 2 remaining fosters so I won't have to worry seeing them going to a strange home anymore.

I'll try to post pictures some time, is my sickies leave me some breathing room... ;)

Back