Mr. Finn, RIP precious boy 10/7/13, The End of Finn's story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just gave him some baby food held the dish for him since he was inside the hanging octopus. He swings his head to the left and misses the food a lot so I had to make sure there was food where he was aiming. He did eat a small piece of cheese and took a piece of pasta. What would explain the high protein level in his urine though?

Finn's vet is off the for the next two weeks - wth! I've requested a pred refill so they are working on getting that from another doctor so at least he will have something. If that doesn't work I guess its off to the other vet office as he cannot wait 2 weeks.

Well we seem to have taken a step back today. We cleaned the cages and now he is back to eating liter and not really digging for his food. He ate some baby food, but only when we put it in front of him, same with the lettuce and blueberries. Ugh, this is so frustrating! :wallbang:

Its been awhile so I thought I'd give an update on Finn. Basically things are about the same. He is now on .03 of the prednislone twice a day and we're suppose to be giving him a fish oil capsule, but that isn't such an easy task. He seems to have lost more weight and I still haven't seen him drink anything. This morning I actually thought he had passed away during the night - he was just laying in a hammock and I didn't see any movement and he didn't respond to his name or and noise, but he did eventually look at me. Guess I woke him up. We were going to start SQ fluids with lactated ringers, but noticed the vet tech gave us normal saline instead of the LR so bf will exchange that tomorrow when he picks up more prednislone. I did ask about the plasmalytes and she doesn't want him to have that. He is eating daily, today he had cucumbers and apple chunks. Usually we give him a small dish all to himself inside his plastic house so his brothers don't bother him, but today he insisted on eating with the others. He still does the head swing thing to eat and a lot of licking. He's mobile, but still unsteady, stubbling, banging into things, and he's still eating the paper liter for whatever reason. He looks awful and I've told him its alright to leave us if he needs to. He's no longer a creamy white color and is turning tan which I assume is from the fact he no longer grooms himself, other than his face. I'd give him a bath, but I don't want to stress him anymore than he already is. Our next appointment is on the 19th and I just don't know when to say he's had enough and to let him go. :( I don't think he's in any pain, but he's starting to look so sad....and I don't think his little body can take much more. My sweet shy boy is going to be our first loss and I'm not ready for it :sad3:

I'm sorry he is approaching the end...
It is never easy to say goodbye, even when we know it's time.
If my ratties are looking grungy, I will take a paper towel and wet it with warm water and squeeze it out a bit to give them a sponge bath. Then I just rub them all over with the paper towel. You'd be surprised how much that helps sometimes!

Thanks, but yet again my precious boy has gotten some fight back in him. He refuses to relinquish banana cookies to any of his cagemates that try to take it. He may be wobbly, but he will protect his food!!! The bf sent me photos this am of him eating his cheerios. When I get home we will start his SQ fluids.

Back