Mr. Finn, RIP precious boy 10/7/13, The End of Finn's story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joanne said:
The 'blood staining' is probably porphyrin. If they are producing a lot, then when they clean themselves they get it all over their forearms, and then they spread it over their face and neck when they are cleaning. I would be especially suspicious of this if no wounds are found.
As far as quality of life goes, you are the only one who can make that decision for him. You are the one who spends time with him and has an idea of how he's feeling. Everyone has a different 'breaking point'.

I thought about porphyrin too, but he really doesn't clean himself anymore - I've been cleaning him. Although it could be since his ears forward to his nose is about all he does cleans when he can, but then its a lot of porphyrin he's producing.

My son saw him yesterday and said he looked happy - so maybe we are missing something, but then he put him back into the cage and Bumbles went over to him and then Finn started make these awful noises! I told even know how to describe them - he was just laying there and it was kind of between a squawk/oink/yelp went on for about a minute. Bumbles it step/lay on him so maybe he hurt him. Last night we increased his pred to .05 from .03 and today he did come out for play time and waddled around some and climbed up on down a bit. I really think he has teeth issues so I will have the vet look at them Thursday.

Finn lost about 100g he is down to 590g at one point my baby was 700g He rights all his feet properly so they are not sure why he has such a head tilt to the left and circles to the left 98% of the time. He's dehydrated, but not too bad and the purple ring around his rat hood is a blood vessel. The staining is porphyrin, his teeth are not overgrown. He was eating his oxbow today which we haven't seen in awhile. So we just continue on the wait and watch plan, he's on .05 of pred twice a day and they say that is the highest we can go with his weight. That's not good news since he will plateau on that in about 2 weeks. We discussed the PTS plan just so we wouldn't have to do it hastily - I wanted to make sure they knew the proper procedure and they will knock him out first with gas before the injection. Not sure when we will be at that point, but I wanted to make sure everything would go smoothly for Finn when we are there.

9/20/13 Finn was rather perky this am and we was up eating. I started him on baytril this am too just in case he does have an ear infection or something else since the head tilt has increased. Cannot hurt and it might help at this point. I think the vet may just have tunnel vision at this point on his kidneys due to the high protein.

I'm so sorry, it sounds like it has been a very rough road for you both. I've gone through this with some of my own, you struggle just wondering whether it's time, or not time, and then it seems like it's time again. It's very rough when they bounce back and forth like that. The only consolation I can offer is each time I've gone through that I worried constantly that I wouldn't know when it was time, that I'd wait too long, and very rarely was that the case. In almost every instance, there came a very quick point where I just knew, and it usually happened fast.

For now, just soak up all the good moments for everything they are worth. Those moments have become treasures to me, knowing that I was given the insight to know they wouldn't be with me for too much longer, and that I was able to enjoy those moments without overlooking them for what they were. Their lives are short but they really seem to pack so much in, and I'm glad you are still seeing some good ones for Finn even though there are rough days as well.

The saga of Finn continues - in the past few days he has been displaying a whole new symptom. Whenever he is eating and he tries to sit rather than stand he falls over backwards on his back or left side (usually back). He still has use of his front paws. Strange thing is he has been more alert and active lately, but falls over all the time now.. :gaah:

I spoon feed him some baby cereal a couple hours ago and I cupped my hand over him to hold him in place. That worked for awhile, but he just seems to be having a really hard time staying upright. I think his time maybe approaching :sad3: :cry4:

I'm afraid Finn's time has come as I believe my poor sweet boy is now suffering. Its so painful to watch as he struggles to try and feed his poor ailing body. He can no longer sit to feed himself and although I can tell my baby wants to badly to eat it is such a struggle for him - his body has giving up on him. He now looks at me with "help me" eyes yet doesn't want to be touched or bothered. He's had enough!! We tried sweet Finn and I'm sorry we couldn't help you! How will this sweet shy boy do over the bridge on his own? He needs his cage mates - he's afraid to wander far without them - I don't want him to be scared or lonely. I don't know what to do with his remains - cremate? bury? I don't want to make these decisions yet - I want a miracle. My heart aches already and I haven't even had to say good bye :sad3: :heart: :cry:

:sad3: I am so very very sorry to read this post. I have been through it several times now and it never gets any easier when we lose one of our beloveds. I am sure there are many friends at the bridge that will keep Finn company until his cage mates join him. You are a great rat mama to your boys and I know that Finn knows how much you love him and care for him. Know you have done everything in your power to help your boy and now you will do this final kind and loving act for him. :hugs: Wish I could be there in person to give you a hug. I have tears streaming down my face just reading and typing this. :hugs: Hang in there!! :heart:

I'm sorry it is time for Finn to head to the Bridge. He will have many new friends there and will be welcomed with open paws. It's so hard to say goodbye... :hugs:

I'm so sorry to read this but I know you have tried and done wonderfully to help this sweet man get the most out of his time here. What helps me near the end is to simply realize that my heart is telling me it might be time, so I spoil them if they will let me, and think of the appointment as our last chance. While I know I will most likely be losing my wee one, I also know that I will ask the vet their opinion, ask the vet if I am overlooking something or if they feel we still should try something, and most importantly, I ask them what they would do if it was their own pet. Most times my heart knows best, but every now and then the vet will see something that you didn't, and at least you will know that you still gave your baby one final shot. I think many of us need that last reassurance, that we know in our heart that we would have kept fighting if it was the right thing to do. Ultimately, each decision we make is with their best interests at heart, and this one will be no different. We simply have to love them right up until the point where we know loving them means helping them when they need it most.

Get as much time in with your boy as you can and follow your heart on the matter. For my own, I like to lay with them if they'll let me, to soak up every last drop of them and shower them with love, to offer them any favorite foods if I can. If they are in condition for it, I bring their buddies in the carrier with them as I like to know they had their companions right until the end. If not, and if they are in condition for it, I simply wrap them in a blanket and hold them all the way to the vet. I love them and tell them how strong they have been, and that they wont have to do it much longer if they can't. I tell them that if there is a fighting chance to be had and it's the right decision, that I will still fight for them if it appears they still want to. & if it does come down to it being his time, and if your vet allows and you are comfortable with it, I always choose to be with mine for each step. It's hard, but I want to know they had someone familiar with them holding them.

The choice of what to do afterwards, if it comes to that, is purely personal. We have a garden on our property where we bury ours. Others find more closure in cremation. I think for most it's simply whatever act brings us the most peace. Personally, I feel these wee ones have souls every bit as real and important as our own, and I just cannot believe that all of that energy disappears. I feel that they are out there, just beyond what we can touch or see, and I believe they are free from the burdens they carried in their life. I feel like they can watch over us, still see their buddies, and I feel like they have other souls there ready to usher them in when they arrive. I've no idea if it's true, but that's what I feel. I think they come here to teach us things. Some teach us how to fight for them, some teach us how not to fight for them, but they each teach us the hardest lesson, how to say goodbye. But I can tell you that after every loss, no matter how hard or unexpected, they have always left me with the fondest of memories to get me by, and eventually more smiles than tears when thinking back upon them. Bonds like that can't be broken, in my opinion. One of the best partings that always stays with me and that I keep dear to my heart...

"I'll catch up with you later". <3

aww it must be a pt type thing. Most of my boys leave with a neuro issue if it isnt heart related. I keep my rats remains. I cremate them together. I dont know what I will do later with them but I will figure it out.

Ear infections can do this as well. You could try a steroid and abs. A vet visit may help.

I have my boys individually cremated. Costs me $100 each and with over 20 rats... well you do the math. :p I keep all their remains in little individual wooden boxes with their names painted on with gold paint. All of their boxes are stored in a nice trunk. That way when I move, I won't have to leave their remains behind in the ground, and when I eventually pass on, I can have their boxes buried with me.

hopefloats said:
aww it must be a pt type thing. Most of my boys leave with a neuro issue if it isnt heart related. I keep my rats remains. I cremate them together. I dont know what I will do later with them but I will figure it out.

Ear infections can do this as well. You could try a steroid and abs. A vet visit may help.

He has been on pred since this thing started and we started him on baytril/doxy about 3-4 days ago since he started a yelping cough. This am he showed me he figured out a way to eat. Some rattie moved a food bowl to a hammock and Finn layed in the hammock with his head over the side into the bowl. I think I'll try some SQ fluids today. I had him on my chest for about an hour last night and said my good byes pretty much begging him to let go on his own. He boggled a lot, but I'm not sure if it was good or bad. I have to wait until perhaps Friday so daddy can get a chance to see him and that is my next day off - unless something drastic happens of course, I won't let him suffer. So I'll try and work some magic until then. Cremation and putting them all together was my first choice - Can see the jar bouncing and banging around now with all turmoil of my not so friendly boys together :laugh4:

Back