Mr. Finn, RIP precious boy 10/7/13, The End of Finn's story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Just noticed (been cleaning cages all evening) Finn is dragging him back end. I realized it because he was basically stuck in the litter pan, but he did get out. He waddles back and forth to get himself going and then he seems to drag his butt and kind of waddle. He went up the ladder hopping like a rabbit. I don't believe he was like this yesterday, but I really did pay that much attention other then to feed them and give them treats. (Bad Mommy) I don't see any injuries and he doesn't seem to be in pain. I can post a video if someone can tell me how.

It could be hind end weakening starting, or the result of a fall/injury that has left him feeling too sore to moIs he still strong in the front legs (pulling himself around, eating well, etc? How old is he? Sorry for so many questions, but trying to determine how he's doing other than his back end. Does he seem happy, his eyes bright still, etc?

15 months, haven't given them their food yet because I was cage cleaning at was just getting to the bottom of theirs and noticed it when I needed them to move up. He was taking treats yesterday and this am. He looks like Finn, maybe a little confused or with a "help me" face. I'm going to go give them their food now.

See if he can grasp with his front paws and use his front legs. He may have that 'help me' look simply because he's having some difficulty getting around and is panicking a bit. If it's just his back end, he should still have normal strength/abilities with his front part.

Give him something light to eat and see if he grasps with his front paws and if his eating abilities to chew are normal.

Fingers crossed it is just hind end weakening or a temporary soreness from a fall. Perhaps try a bit of ibuprofen and see if this helps.

When I went in there he was in a bubble (sputnik). He did not get out for the food, but I handed him a blueberry and he snatched it, held it in both hands and ate it in about 20 seconds. Gave him another and a couple pieces of romaine lettuce. He is eating like I've haven't feed him in weeks. Kona keeps looking in the bubble and checking on him.

How is his urine? put a paper towel in there if he is staying in there he could have a UTI. I would feel his belly to just to make sure there isnt any pain. A video might help too :)

UTI can sometimes cause a very sudden hind end paralysis in males, as Peggy said, check his urine. Put him in a carrier with papertowel and leave him until he pees...check for pink or bloody urine, darkness and foul smell.

I've been trying for about 45 minutes or longer to download the video :rant: He peed on my carpet while I was videotaping him and I cleaned it with a paper towel and it was normal light yellow looking. I will move him into the "hospital cage" though and watch.

Trying again to download the video - I have no idea what I'm doing and/or doing wrong. He is no better, but no worse. I have him in a small cage http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_ ... 00x300.jpg and took out the one shelf that was in there. He is on soft white litter so I should be able to see any discolored urine. I checked for a penis plug and only saw a drop of urine, but he certainly had movement over his back legs when I had him on his back trying to check for that plug. I also sniffed him and did not smell anything. I wish I could remember how he was yesterday. We both interacted with them, but cannot remember if I saw him walking around or not. :gaah: I'm hoping he just did something stupid while I was cleaning the cage and climbed without the ladders/shelves and just hurt himself - these boys are not climbers they were raised in an aquarium until we got them. He doesn't really seem to be in pain - maybe some discomfort. Should I get some infant Tylenol? Tomorrow I have to babysit my sister's kids until Friday and I plan to bring him with me - should I put a friend in the cage with him? Whoo hoo video is at 12% download in 31 minutes :cry4: Last I saw he was up in a low hanging hammock - before that he was eating a slice of banana using both from hands. Oh, when I had him walking on the area rug to video tape, when he transitioned from rug to hard wood floor he fell over. Don't know if that means anything. Oh my poor Finn...... :heart:

It does sound like an injury or a UTI. I think Metacam would be better than Tylenol because it's also an anti-inflammatory but it would be best to take him to the vet. If you can't get Metacam (meloxicam), infant ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can be given instead. The video will give us a better idea. He's not in a lot of pain at least.

Where are you uploading the video to? I find Youtube much faster than Photobucket but it does take time if your camera takes high quality video or if it's really long.

:hugs:

aww, I have no idea what that is but it looks more like his whole body and not just his hind end is affected, like maybe he hurt his back??

I'm sure those with more experience will be along soon.

was just checking to see how he was today.
I hope whatever is with Finn he can get fixed up and quick :hugs:

such a sweet guy

Well, he's at the vet. I will go get him in a couple hours. They will x-ray his back and attempt to get a urine sample. They wanted to know if I was able to get one and bring in it - really? How do you get a urine sample from a rat. I asked him to pee in a cup for me, but he refused :laugh4: however, he left stool samples. I really hope he just hurt himself - he was just coming out of his shell... I have to take him with me to my sister's to babysit over night so I'm think of bring Curley with - Finn just looks so depressed - actually when I dropped him off had I didn't seen him breathing I would of thought he was gone. He did waddle out of the sleep sack and say hi - then crawled back in and into a ball.

Well, the vet thinks this is an injuries, but was able to get urine sample when he peed all over the table. They will start him on the baytril and low dose steroid. (think she said TMS) No metacam... :gaah: She says he responds properly to all neuro exams, rights his back feet, and feels pain in his lower extremities. Doesn't not appear to have head tilt or ear infection. Although she did mention other causes could be encephalitis or some other infection. Urine sample should be back tomorrow or Saturday. He is eating for them and walking around.

I forgot: He went for 775g to 731g since June, but we have had him out a lot more and are trying to cut back on the treats. They are also going to give him SQ fluids.

Back