...Moncton SPCA girl had babies..they're gone!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh so it wasn't even just Heather ignoring you? Nanette didn't bother responding either? :? That's fantastic.

Could someone compile a list of e-mail addresses who you're CCing this stuff to? I'm not in that area so don't know what's worth pursuing, what's likely to have an affect.

Also, I know what's suspected, but I left out any accusations in the hopes of her trying to help. Guess that ship has sailed :thumbup:

Addresses:

Contact The Mayor
Mayor George LeBlanc Mailing address:
Tel: 506-856-4343 Mayor’s Office
Fax: 506-853-3553 655 Main Street
[email protected] Moncton, N.B., Canada
E1C 1E8

To get email addresses for the Moncton city councilors go to:
http://www.moncton.ca/Government/City_Council.htm

HON. SHAWN GRAHAM, Premier of NB
Phone: (506) 453-2144
Fax: (506) 453-7407
EMail Address: [email protected]

Mailing Address
Centennial Building
P. O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5H1
Canada

Members of the NB Legislative Assembly (List of MLAs) and their emails:
http://app.infoaa.7700.gnb.ca/gnb/pub/ListMLA1.asp

The four members representing Moncton are:

Moncton Crescent, Electoral District 24
JOHN W. BETTS (PC) [email protected]
Mailing Address
1351 Mountain Rd
Moncton, New Brunswick
E1C 2T9
Canada

Moncton East, Electoral District 21
CHRIS COLLINS (L) [email protected]
Mailing Address:
137 McLaughlin Drive
Moncton, New Brunswick
E1A 4P4
Canada

Moncton North, Electoral District 23
HON. MICHAEL MURPHY (L) [email protected]
Mailing Address
Constituency Office: Moncton North
845 1/2 Mountain Road
Moncton, New Brunswick
E1C 2R9
Canada

Moncton West, Electoral District 22
L. JOAN MACALPINE-STILES (L) [email protected]
Mailing Address
Constituency Office: Moncton West
473 St. George Street
Moncton, New Brunswick
E1C 1Y2
Canada

Oooh so it wasn't even just Heather ignoring you? Nanette didn't bother responding either?

I just emailed Nanette so she hasn't ignored me yet but Heather is as she has not emailed me. I sent the same email I sent to Heather to Nanette and also sent a copy to our MP Brian Murphy [email protected] and to CTV [email protected] and to Times and Transcript where I sent the letter to the letter of the editor section http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/o ... ge=contact

Maybe if some of these people email them they will start taking things seriously.

Newspapers in NB:
If you google the particular newspaper, you should be able to find the address for letters to the editor. Can't do that right now as my computer is acting up.

Times & Transcript (Daily)
939 Main Street
P.O. Box 1001
Moncton, NB E1C 8P3
506-859-4900
Fax: 506-859-4904
Newsroom: [email protected]

Journal Dieppe Journal (French) (Weekly)
988 rue Champlain Street
Dieppe, NB E1A 1P8
506-388-8200
Fax: 506-388-8201
Editor: 506-388-8202
[email protected]

New Brunswick Telegraph Journal (Daily)
P.O. Box 2350
Saint John, NB E2L 3V8
506-632-8888
Toll-Free: 1-877-389-6397
Fax: 506-633-6758
Newsroom: 506-645-3226

The Daily Gleaner (Daily)
P.O. Box 3370
Fredericton, NB E3B 5A2
506-452-6671
Toll-Free: 1-800-565-9399
Fax: 506-452-7405
[email protected]

Here (Weekly)
New Brunswick's Urban Voice
Moncton, NB
Newsroom: 506-383-2517

The Brunswickan (Weekly during the academic year)
Canada's Oldest Official Student Publication
35 - 21 Pacey Drive
University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, NB E3B 5A3
506-447-3388
Fax: 506-453-5073
[email protected]

For other newspapers in NB please see:
http://www.altstuff.com/newsnb.htm

Thank you SQ :nod:

I just received a response from Heather (the last e-mail wasn't signed but came from Heather's address, but I guess it was April again.....). So this is why we haven't received and responses, and yet that doesn't justify anything as someone capable of handling such things should have been in charge in their absence.

"Sorry, I have just returned and am not sure what history you have already, only what I got from scrolling down through your previous emails.

Yes, they have been forwarded to the Shelter Manager, Nanette Pearl. She has also just returned after being away. I will forward her this email and also remind her that you are waiting when I see her tomorrow.

Heather"

Hey all!!

If people start giving you the old "they're just rats!" response, tell them that it could be rats today, bunnies tomorrow and then cats and dogs. If that were the case, what's the point of having shelters if the shelters don't even give animals a chance to grow up and be adopted!! And especially if they were not euthanised humanely ...

rat.charmer said:
Hey all!!

If people start giving you the old "they're just rats!" response, tell them that it could be rats today, bunnies tomorrow and then cats and dogs. If that were the case, what's the point of having shelters if the shelters don't even give animals a chance to grow up and be adopted!! And especially if they were not euthanised humanely ...

GREAT POINT!!! and well said!
:thumbup:

henry's_mum said:
[quote="rat.charmer":18fk6xvo]Hey all!!

GREAT POINT!!! and well said!
:thumbup:[/quote:18fk6xvo]

Thanks :wink: I'm a lawyer in training - spin is my specialty haha

so what is the timeline here?
october 14 - 5, 2-3 day old, healthy babies discovered
- staff unaware that they were there
- noticed that rats were on pine shavings and being fed cat food though they should have lots of lab blocks and have been informed numerous times on the dangers of keeping rats on pine.
- first email sent by Dahlas re: offering advice and questioning living conditions of rats

october ? - heather (what role is she supposed to be playing the SPCA?) replies to dahlas assuring her that the rats are on carefresh and getting proper nutrition.

october 16 - babies discovered missing
- when asked, staff do not know what has happened to them (did they all know that they were at least there at one time at this point?)
- pictures of the pine bedding taken
- Elizibeth and Henri adopted and removed from the SPCA via lindsayfawn
- dahlas sends off another email asking for clarification of setups
- how many other emails were sent at this time to the SPCA? and were they all sent to Heather? were other emails sent elsewhere?
- more information gathered that these 2 rats have been in the SPCA's care for at least a month and a half and so the pregnancy happened at the shelter and not because they were "found together" which implies arrived at the SPCA together recently as their ad suggested

october ? -more emails sent

october ?-reply back from jherek's email from April saying that Heather is on vacation

october 20 -another reply from we assume is April, saying that Nannette is the person that emails should be adressed to.
- reply from heather saying that all emails have been forwarded to Nannette and that she is only just returning from being away as well.

did i miss anything? can anyone answer the questions above?

Okay I just found this and think everyone involved in this should read it. http://www.ratbehavior.org/infanticide.htm#MaternalInfanticide

I personally think the babies should have been seen and taken into some back room with mom so she could nurse in peace but whatever, what's done is done. I just though this article could take some of the blame off of the staff (not that I'm saying their innocent).

Yes, more should have been done by the SPCa

BUT ... the babies were several days old, healthy and had good milk bellies.
Their mom was taking good care of them and aggressively protecting them.

I have taken in many rescue babies from very stress filled situations ....
such as .... mom and babies housed next to snake cage, snake wasn't hungry so mom wasn't eaten but mom witnessed other rats being eaten alive by snake, mom was poked and proded with a stick to move her away from babies so people could see them, hungry cat sitting on cage, noisey disruptive environment, etc. These moms did the best they could for their babies in these very stressful environments.

While all rats are different, it is highly unlikely that the rat at the SPCA harmed her babies given the conditions reported by Lindsay.

Fascinating articles as usual, but very very rare...

DeSantis and Schmaltz (1984) mention two cases of entire-litter cannibalism in response to stress: one case involved a female who was transported during her pregnancy who cannibalized her litter during birth. Another was a female whose cage was accidentally flooded with water from a broken water bottle soon after birth, soaking the bedding and wetting the pups. The pups were subsequently consumed within 24 hours.

I doubt the whole litter was cannibalized.

ok, i've gone through and recieved some pms, this is the timeline as i see it now:

so what is the timeline here?
october 14
- 5, 2-3 day old, healthy babies discovered
- front-desk staff unaware that they were there
- noticed that rats were on pine shavings and being fed cat food though they should have lots of lab blocks that were recently donated and have been informed numerous times on the dangers of keeping rats on pine.
-effort to find homes for the babies underway by forum members--resulted in possible home found for 2 of the babies

October 15
- first email sent by Dahlas re: offering advice and questioning living conditions of rats
- heather (listed on their website as being in charge of adoption-related inquiries) replies to dahlas assuring her that the rats are on carefresh and getting proper nutrition:
"Hi Velma,

Thank you for your concern about the rats in our care. Being primarily an operation for cats and dogs we do the best we can with the little creatures that come through our door. Currently our rats are being fed Martin Rat Ration. We also have a female that is also eating the same along with some seeds and vegetables to give her that extra that she needs. They are being bedded on care fresh, with a litter box and houses to hide in. There is a little shavings in there for them but primarily the care fresh. We appriciate your concern and welcome any tips you can send our way.

We hope everything is great down in Bridgewater and welcome you to come and visit anytime! "

october 16
- babies discovered missing
- when asked, desk-staff does not know what has happened to them
- pictures of the pine bedding and improper food taken
-email sent to SPCA Heather by forum member that discovered all this
"Hi Heather,

I was by on the 14th to check in on the two rats that had been brought in. When I went in I found that Elizabeth, female rat, had 5 babies. I asked the two girls at the desk when she had them and they didn't even know she even had the babies who looked like they were around 2-3 days old. My girlfriend and I were debating on taking them because we were concerned about the conditions. They are being housed on Pine shavings which is dangerous for rats because the dust gets into their respiratory systems and makes it extremly hard for them to breath right also they had cat food in their dish.

I belong to a wonderful site on the internet called the Rat Shack and asked them what they think we should do about taking them in and one of the lady's on the shack emailed you. She belongs to a shelter in Brigewater, NS. She was assured that the rats were on Care Fresh which they are not. You can see in the attached picture that I took today that they are indeed on pine.

However being on Pine shavings and having them feed seeds(seeds are not good for them as they will only pick out what they lick which is usully the most fattening ones) is not the main reason I am emailing you today. I went back to the SPCA today to check on the mom and I found that her babies were no longer there. I asked the ladies at the desk what had happened to them and they had no idea.

I'm very sadden that they do not know what happened to her babies and I really hope that they were not thrown out when someone had changed the litter. I know sometimes mother rats will eat their young if they are dead or dying but those babies were a picture of health with great milk bands.
If you could look into this and find out what happened to those babies I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on going in tomorrow to adopt Elizabeth and possibly Henri as well. I'm just sick to think that I should have done this sooner and those 5 babies would still be alive.

Thank you for your time.
Lindsay"
- email sent to Heather and Nanette from the MonctonSPCA from another concerned forum member

october 17
-elizabeth and henri (the rats) adopted and removed from SPCA
- more information gathered from a staff member that these 2 rats have been in the SPCA's care for at least a month and a half. therefore, the pregnancy had to have happened at the shelter and not simply because they "came in together" which implies arrived at the SPCA together recently as their ad suggested. website description: "Although they came in together, they are now being housed separately to prevent unwanted babies." approx. month and a half in days as of october 17: 47 days; rat gestation: 21-23 days
-call from shelter in NS to moncton SPCA reporting a complaint
-letters written to the NBSPCA and MonctonSPCA by another forum member (forum member not hopeful of reply)

october 19
-first reply back from any emails on this matter from April Saulnier saying that Heather is on vacation (only replied to one person of the now 5 that have sent emails):
""Hello,
The shelter manager is away and should be back Monday, I have sent her all your [*everyone's] e-mails. She will respond as soon as she gets them.
Thank you for your concerns.
April Saulnier"
-another email sent to NBSPCA from the moncton forum member that discovered all this:
"To Whom it may concern:

I wanted to inform you of something that I witnessed at the Moncton SPCA. On Monday Oct 13th I went to the shelter to check on two of the rats that were brought in. There was a male and a female that had been found together so I knew there was a possibility she could be pregnant. When I got there I noticed they were on pine shavings, which is extremely dangerous for rats because of their weak repertory systems. Also they had cat food in their dish. I am uncertain why they would have cat food as they should be fed lab blocks and I donated a lot of lab blocks that should have lasted them well over 6 months. This is not my biggest problem.

When I got there the female did in fact have 5 babies that looked to be around 2-3 days old.

I asked the staff when she had her babies and they did not even know she had them! How they could not know she had babies is beyond me because newborn rats make a very distinctive eeping noise and the punch clock is directly in front of where the rats cage was.

I came back on Thursday to check on them again and possibly adopt them. I was shocked to see the babies were no longer there. I asked the staff what happened to the babies and they did not know. How can they not know what happened to 5 newborn babies?

Mother rats will sometimes eat their dead or dying young but this would not be the case in this situation as these babies were in perfect health and had great milk bands. Plus the mother was very protective of the babies. I very much hope that they were not thrown out when someone changed the litter and I very much hope that they were not disposed of by the staff.

I would like someone to look into this. I have already emailed a Heather at the Moncton SPCA but have yet to receive an answer. Other people know about this and other people will be sending emails to her and you that are from other shelters in different provinces. One friend of mine has done so when I had told her that these rats were on pine and she received a response that they were not on pine and that they were on care fresh.

This is not true because I saw that they were on pine and I have pictures to prove this fact. I have since adopted the female and male rat to get them out of those horrible conditions. I regret that I did not do it the first day I was there because then those 5 babies would still be alive.

I hope someone will look into what happened and that this will not be brushed aside just because they are rats. All animals should be treated the same as dogs and cats there should be no favouritism. I sincerely believe that if a dog had puppies or a cat had kittens while at the shelter they would not have just disappeared. I know the staff does not like the rats much as I was told by volunteers that when there are rats they don't get handled because people think they are gross or are afraid of them. This is very unprofessional. If they decide to work in a shelter that takes in more then just dogs and cats they should be prepared to work with any other animal that comes in.

I hope someone will be able to find out what happened to these 5 babies and inform me as to what happened to them.

Thank You"

october 20
-another reply from a person using Heather's email account but unsigned, saying that Nannette is the person that emails should be addressed to (replied to same person as before-still no replies to the other emails):
"Nanette Pearl is our shelter manager."
-another email sent, this time to Nanette from the only person that has been receiving replies:
"Dear Nanette,

I am many others are very concerned about the five little baby rats that were born in the Moncton SPCA's care. On October 14th, someone came in to find that the rat in your care, Elizabeth, had given birth to 5 babies. The staff was unaware of this. As of October 16th, the babies have disappeared, and no one on staff can tell us what has happened to them; indeed, some still apparently didn't even know about them. We have been trying and trying to get assistance from the Moncton SPCA in finding out what happened to these little babies, but to no avail. It has now been 4 days since they apparently "went missing" and, if it was indeed an accident, it is now obviously too late for them.

Since the 16th, our e-mails were simply ignored--however, it is apparent that April was checking Heather's e-mail in her absence, and yet she did not forward them to you or suggest we do so so that perhaps these little babies could have been saved. I finally received a very impassive response from Heather today of "Nanette is the shelter manager," without even the assurance that you have been made aware of the numerous concerns and complaints she has received. I can only assume that she did not forward the various e-mails to you. I have attached my e-mails below along with the responses I received.

Please do us the courtesy of acknowledging our concerns and assure us that the appropriate actions are being taken to find out what happened to these babies."
- reply signed from heather saying that all emails have been forwarded to Nannette and that she is only just returning from being away as well:
"Sorry, I have just returned and am not sure what history you have already, only what I got from scrolling down through your previous emails.

Yes, they have been forwarded to the Shelter Manager, Nanette Pearl. She has also just returned after being away. I will forward her this email and also remind her that you are waiting when I see her tomorrow.

Heather"
-email sent to Nanette (which is a copy of the one sent to heather earlier) from the forum member that discovered all this.
-copies of that email also sent to MP Brian Murphy, CTV, and to the Times and Transcript in the form of a letter to the editor
-email sent to MonctonSPCA and copies sent to local MPs and media by another concerned forum member

questions that i need answers for:

as of october 16, how many other emails were sent to the SPCA? and were they all sent to Heather? were other emails sent elsewhere?

have i missed any emails sent out? what were their dates and content if you do not mind sharing here?

once i have all the information that i can get i'm going to the media.

edited to reflect more information

I've written my email - and cc'd the media and mps...

This whole thing is just making me so angry :rant: I really hope that there's a good explanation for this (one that will make us all go, :doh: ) but I highly doubt it...

Hopefully we will hear back soon!

Go Twitch :joy:

Heather is listed on their website as being in charge of adoption-related inquiries.

*MY* e-mails were sent to Heather, and her e-mail was being checked by a girl named April Saulnier, who said she forwarded them to the shelter manager (Nanette).

Lindsay mentioned that the girls at the front desk weren't aware of them - as for the others, I don't know.

I sent all of my e-mails to the address you provided in the PM.

not necessarily i took in a rat from the petstore a couple days before birth and i settled her in a very nice secure comfy cage and 24hrs later she wasnt pregnant and not so much as a bloody trace in the cage. she looked like she swallowed a tennis ball too so there were at least 10-13 babies in there.

im not trying to clear the spca as they need to answer and them not knowing what happened is unexceptable. if she did eat her babies then someone shouldve noticed that as once they knew about them shouldve been keeping an eye on her. to me that means if they are that lax with rats then what else have them been lax with.

Jherek said:
Wouldn't there have been evidence of that in the cage, if the whole litter had been consumed?

alright, its nearly 2 in the morning and i've been working in this since 8pm... ugh... but its done and i've sent it off to the radio station in moncton. fair warning to readers, its long.

I do not know if you are aware of the situation currently going on in your local SPCA, but they are deplorable.

I belong to an online forum of pet rat enthusiasts where there is also a concentration of rescuers. It was brought to our attention on October 14th by one of the members that live in Moncton that there were rats available for adoption in the Moncton SPCA and that the female there had 5, 2-3 day old babies that appeared to be healthy.

Sadly, we were also informed that when she asked the staff at the desk about these babies they did not know that they were even there. Baby rats make a lot of noise and where they were located under the punch clock, they should have been easily noticed. For them not to have noticed for at least 2-3 days is very concerning.

An effort was begun by members of the forum to line up homes for the babies and arrange foster care for them and the adults to work on their sociability. This effort resulted in plans to be set in motion for foster care and a possible home for 2 of the babies.

During the initial visit from Lindsay, it was seen that the rats were not being housed properly or fed properly, (at the time of this visit only cat food was visible in the food dish), though they have been informed of the dangers of housing rats on pine shavings, (it will cause serious respiratory issues that can easily result in chronic illness and/or shortened life for a rat), and has recently received a large donation of food blocks specifically made for rats. This shows, not only a lack of knowledge on the proper care of certain types of animals in their care, but also that they ignore advice from those that do have that knowledge and waste donated resources.

As a result a member of the forum, Velma, and also a worker in a Nova Scotia shelter, e-mailed the Moncton shelter on October 15 to offer advice and to clarify the issue of the housing and feed. A reply was sent in prompt order from Heather, (listed on their website as being in charge of adoption-related inquiries), assuring the Velma that the rats were being housed on carefresh, (a brand name of a paper based litter that will not harm rats), and fed properly. Pictures taken the next day, October 16, proved these assertions to be false as they were on pine shavings and being fed an inadequate amount of food blocks mixed with cat food and seeds that are inappropriate for rats. The pictures also showed make-shift small round litter bins filled with clay litter which is also very dangerous to the health of a rat. Once again, this shows their ignorance on the proper care of the animals in their custody.

On October 16, a return visit by Lindsay, discovered the disappearance of all 5 babies. When asked what happened to the babies the staff were unable to provide any explanation. The babies would have been 4-5 days old at this point and though still small, they would have been more active, vocal and certainly more noticeable. It is astonishing that the staff could not explain the disappearance of pets that are supposed to be safe in their care.

The pictures of the living conditions of the remaining two adults were taken at this time and emails were sent to Heather by Lindsay and further e-mails were sent to both Heather and Nanette (the shelter manager) by Holly, another concerned forum member.

On October 17, Lindsay adopted Elizabeth and Henri (the two adults) and removed them from the SPCA. It is a sad thing that these pets, placed in the shelter to keep them from harm and to find another home, had to be taken from the shelter to provide them with that safety.

During this visit it was learned from a staff member there that these rats were actually here much longer, nearly one and a half months, but were not put up for adoption at that time because the female, Elizabeth, was fighting with another female. This means that Henri and Elizabeth had been in the shelter’s care for at least 47 days. Rat gestation is 21-23 days. This means that Elizabeth had to have been placed with a male, likely Henri, during her time in the shelter. Though their website blurb about the two rats would have you believe they were surrendered together just recently, "Although they came in together, they are now being housed separately to prevent unwanted babies." For an animal to become pregnant while in the shelter’s care is despicable. They are supposed to prevent unwanted litters, not make them.

This information resulted in a call from the Nova Scotia shelter to the Moncton SPCA reporting that they have received complaints.

Letters were also sent to the Moncton SPCA and NB SPCA, though the author of those letters is not hopeful that she will ever receive a reply.

It was not until October 19th, three days after the disappearance of the babies that any of the e-mails were replied to. Even then it was only to one of the now five people that had sent e-mails on this matter. It did not address any of the issues brought up in the e-mails, instead it merely stated that the shelter manager was away and would not be due back until Monday, but that all e-mails [of everyone’s] had been forwarded onto the shelter manager. This e-mail was sent by April Saulnier. At the time, e-mails were being addressed to Heather, (the adoption clerk), as the majority of the forum members were unaware that she was not the shelter manager. Ms, Saulnier, did not at this time choose to tell us who the proper person to contact was. It is also frustrating that it took three days for any reply to be given at all and then it is only to pass the buck, so to speak. Not only that, but that a reply was only given to one of the five people that had addressed concerns.

Lindsay, the member that had adopted the rats and first discovered all this, then sent an email to the NB SPCA.

On October 20 a person using Heather’s e-mail address, but not signing their name to it, gave the curt reply to an e-mail sent by Jherek, ((forum username), so far the only person that has been receiving replies at all)), it states "Nanette Pearl is our shelter manager." This prompted Jherek to then send an e-mail to Ms. Pearl. Shortly after the reply from an anonymous person using Heather’s e-mail, Heather also responded, informing the member that he needs to contact Nanette Pearl, but that his e-mails had been forwarded on to her, though she may take a while to reply as she also had been away and is only recently returning. All this has shown a serious lack of management and reeks of suspicious behaviour. It has now been six days since the discovery of the babies and four days since their disappearance with unprofessionalism shown throughout the course of that time. If there was any hope of finding what happened to the babies and perhaps saving them, (in the event that they were somehow accidentally thrown out with the dirty litter), it is long since passed, simply because no one at the shelter, which is designed to save the animals and care for them is interested in doing so.

At this point both the Moncton SPCA and NB SPCA have been contacted as well as local MP’s and media.

The animals concerned in this mess may only be rats; however they were placed at the shelter for their protection. It is assumed that the SPCA is there for the welfare of all animals. If this can happen to the rats, how safe are rabbits, dogs or cats that are brought to the shelter? These rats were allowed to breed, were kept in unsafe and unhealthy conditions, and were ignored enough that a female was able have given birth. The babies were 2-3 days old before being noticed, (and only then because a possible adopter pointed them out to the staff), and then disappeared without an explanation.

The handling of this situation is deplorable. It is the general feeling of the members of the forum that have been keeping tabs on this situation, that they are getting the run around in hopes that eventually they will tire and give up, instead of addressing the concern of these conditions. It is abhorrent that a shelter would not know how to care for their animals properly, or care to research proper basic needs, but even more so when they were handed the information and supplies needed to properly care for those animals and they still do not meet the basic needs of that animal to keep it safe and healthy.

This situation has many people concerned about the practices and education of SPCA staff. We would appreciate your interest in an investigation into this matter.

The following is a break down of the time line with e-mails and replies to the e-mails as were posted on the forum.

October 14
- 5, 2-3 day old, healthy babies discovered by Lindsay
- front-desk staff unaware that they were there
- noticed that rats were on pine shavings and being fed cat food though they should have lots of rat food blocks that were recently donated and have been informed numerous times on the dangers of keeping rats on pine.
-effort to find homes for the babies underway by forum members--resulted in possible home found for 2 of the babies

October 15
- first email sent by Velma re: offering advice and questioning living conditions of rats
- heather (listed on their website as being in charge of adoption-related inquiries) replies to Velma assuring her that the rats are on carefresh and getting proper nutrition:
"Hi Velma,

Thank you for your concern about the rats in our care. Being primarily an operation for cats and dogs we do the best we can with the little creatures that come through our door. Currently our rats are being fed Martin Rat Ration. We also have a female that is also eating the same along with some seeds and vegetables to give her that extra that she needs. They are being bedded on care fresh, with a litter box and houses to hide in. There is a little shavings in there for them but primarily the care fresh. We appriciate your concern and welcome any tips you can send our way.

We hope everything is great down in Bridgewater and welcome you to come and visit anytime! "

October 16
- babies discovered missing by Lindsay
- when asked, desk-staff does not know what has happened to them
- pictures of the pine bedding and improper food taken
-email sent to SPCA Heather by Lindsay
"Hi Heather,

I was by on the 14th to check in on the two rats that had been brought in. When I went in I found that Elizabeth, female rat, had 5 babies. I asked the two girls at the desk when she had them and they didn't even know she even had the babies who looked like they were around 2-3 days old. My girlfriend and I were debating on taking them because we were concerned about the conditions. They are being housed on Pine shavings which is dangerous for rats because the dust gets into their respiratory systems and makes it extremly hard for them to breath right also they had cat food in their dish.

I belong to a wonderful site on the internet called the Rat Shack and asked them what they think we should do about taking them in and one of the lady's on the shack emailed you. She belongs to a shelter in Brigewater, NS. She was assured that the rats were on Care Fresh which they are not. You can see in the attached picture that I took today that they are indeed on pine.

However being on Pine shavings and having them feed seeds(seeds are not good for them as they will only pick out what they lick which is usully the most fattening ones) is not the main reason I am emailing you today. I went back to the SPCA today to check on the mom and I found that her babies were no longer there. I asked the ladies at the desk what had happened to them and they had no idea.

I'm very sadden that they do not know what happened to her babies and I really hope that they were not thrown out when someone had changed the litter. I know sometimes mother rats will eat their young if they are dead or dying but those babies were a picture of health with great milk bands.
If you could look into this and find out what happened to those babies I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on going in tomorrow to adopt Elizabeth and possibly Henri as well. I'm just sick to think that I should have done this sooner and those 5 babies would still be alive.

Thank you for your time.
Lindsay"
- email sent to Heather and Nanette from the Moncton SPCA from Holly Sabean
“[email copy edited out until i have permission to post publicly]”

October 17
-Elizabeth and Henri (the rats) adopted and removed from SPCA
- more information gathered from a staff member that these 2 rats have been in the SPCA's care for at least a month and a half. Therefore, the pregnancy had to have happened at the shelter and not simply because they "came in together" which implies arrived at the SPCA together recently as their ad suggested. website description: "Although they came in together, they are now being housed separately to prevent unwanted babies." approx. month and a half in days as of October 17: 47 days; rat gestation: 21-23 days
-call from shelter in NS to Moncton SPCA reporting a complaint
-letters written to the NBSPCA and Moncton SPCA by Linda (forum member not hopeful of reply)

October 19
-first reply back from any emails on this matter from April Saulnier saying that Heather is on vacation (only replied to one person –Jherek—of the now 5 that have sent emails):
""Hello,
The shelter manager is away and should be back Monday, I have sent her all your [*everyone's] e-mails. She will respond as soon as she gets them.
Thank you for your concerns.
April Saulnier"
-another email sent to NBSPCA from Lindsay
"To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to inform you of something that I witnessed at the Moncton SPCA. On Monday Oct 13th I went to the shelter to check on two of the rats that were brought in. There was a male and a female that had been found together so I knew there was a possibility she could be pregnant. When I got there I noticed they were on pine shavings, which is extremely dangerous for rats because of their weak repertory systems. Also they had cat food in their dish. I am uncertain why they would have cat food as they should be fed lab blocks and I donated a lot of lab blocks that should have lasted them well over 6 months. This is not my biggest problem.

When I got there the female did in fact have 5 babies that looked to be around 2-3 days old.

I asked the staff when she had her babies and they did not even know she had them! How they could not know she had babies is beyond me because newborn rats make a very distinctive eeping noise and the punch clock is directly in front of where the rats’ cage was.

I came back on Thursday to check on them again and possibly adopt them. I was shocked to see the babies were no longer there. I asked the staff what happened to the babies and they did not know. How can they not know what happened to 5 newborn babies?

Mother rats will sometimes eat their dead or dying young but this would not be the case in this situation as these babies were in perfect health and had great milk bands. Plus the mother was very protective of the babies. I very much hope that they were not thrown out when someone changed the litter and I very much hope that they were not disposed of by the staff.

I would like someone to look into this. I have already emailed a Heather at the Moncton SPCA but have yet to receive an answer. Other people know about this and other people will be sending emails to her and you that are from other shelters in different provinces. One friend of mine has done so when I had told her that these rats were on pine and she received a response that they were not on pine and that they were on care fresh.

This is not true because I saw that they were on pine and I have pictures to prove this fact. I have since adopted the female and male rat to get them out of those horrible conditions. I regret that I did not do it the first day I was there because then those 5 babies would still be alive.

I hope someone will look into what happened and that this will not be brushed aside just because they are rats. All animals should be treated the same as dogs and cats there should be no favouritism. I sincerely believe that if a dog had puppies or a cat had kittens while at the shelter they would not have just disappeared. I know the staff does not like the rats much as I was told by volunteers that when there are rats they don't get handled because people think they are gross or are afraid of them. This is very unprofessional. If they decide to work in a shelter that takes in more then just dogs and cats they should be prepared to work with any other animal that comes in.

I hope someone will be able to find out what happened to these 5 babies and inform me as to what happened to them.

Thank You"

October 20
-another reply from a person using Heather's email account but unsigned, saying that Nannette is the person that emails should be addressed to (replied to same person as before-Jherek-still no replies to the other emails):
"Nanette Pearl is our shelter manager."
-another email sent, this time to Nanette from Jherek:
"Dear Nanette,

I am many others are very concerned about the five little baby rats that were born in the Moncton SPCA's care. On October 14th, someone came in to find that the rat in your care, Elizabeth, had given birth to 5 babies. The staff was unaware of this. As of October 16th, the babies have disappeared, and no one on staff can tell us what has happened to them; indeed, some still apparently didn't even know about them. We have been trying and trying to get assistance from the Moncton SPCA in finding out what happened to these little babies, but to no avail. It has now been 4 days since they apparently "went missing" and, if it was indeed an accident, it is now obviously too late for them.

Since the 16th, our e-mails were simply ignored--however, it is apparent that April was checking Heather's e-mail in her absence, and yet she did not forward them to you or suggest we do so so that perhaps these little babies could have been saved. I finally received a very impassive response from Heather today of "Nanette is the shelter manager," without even the assurance that you have been made aware of the numerous concerns and complaints she has received. I can only assume that she did not forward the various e-mails to you. I have attached my e-mails below along with the responses I received.

Please do us the courtesy of acknowledging our concerns and assure us that the appropriate actions are being taken to find out what happened to these babies."
- reply signed from heather saying that all emails have been forwarded to Nannette and that she is only just returning from being away as well:

Heather"
-email sent to Nanette (which is a copy of the one sent to heather earlier) from Lindsay
-copies of that email also sent to MP Brian Murphy, CTV, and to the Times and Transcript in the form of a letter to the editor
-email sent to Moncton SPCA and copies sent to local MPs and media by another concerned forum member, nattykins (do not know real name)

October 20/21
-emails sent to CBC RadioONE Information Morning Moncton

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Back